Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor - Reference to keyboard warriors

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He really is a shite journo. Considering he must be in the twilight years of his career, I doubt he will be able to look back on it with much pride.
His attempts at being 'deep' are laughable.
Must've been tough for Conway going "from one country to another", having to get used to the new culture, new climate, new language and being thousands of miles from home.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This. Except the middle line as I wasn't as Yeovil.

I wonder how this came through David Burke's SWAT analysis? "Hmm, we need a striker. However here is a winger with a private business and a pregnant wife who we'll have to move to the other side of the UK. Perfect."

I'm starting to suspect the SW in SWAT stands for South Wales.

SWOT. :)

Not the first time sure it wont be the last time who gives a sht what that Argus thinks.

Stopped getting the paper when they were first to name the four players in the then the alleged sex assault.

In law, they were allowed to do that. Whether morally they should be allowed to is another matter.

However, the way they did it was totally unnecessary.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think people are sometimes a little too harsh on Andy Naylor. He has a fairly tough job finding a back page lead every day and to fill space inside the paper as well. Law of averages says some of these won't be hard news and appear a little tame. Equally, some stories will show an opinion many on here disagree with. There won't be massive Albion-related news every day of the week.

However, I do sometimes struggle with this idea of "keyboard detractors" as something of a separate, irrational, supporting sub group. The fact someone is sharing an opinion on NSC or wherever does not make it somehow less valid, which sometimes seems to be the insinuation from some areas of the printed press.

And in this instance, I don't think an hour of average football away to the worst Championship team I have ever seen during which Conway created at best a couple of chances can really be seen to silence any of his critics - online or otherwise.

Also, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, I think for "extremists" you could probably just put "people who spent a lot of money and time travelling to Yeovil to watch a pretty shit performance and were rightly disappointed..."

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Surely this can't be the same Andy Naylor who said he never reads NSC. Nah, must be another Andy Naylor.

Oh, and btw, Mr Naylor, if you're reading this, I think you're a right knob!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I happen to think that the criticisms of Conway are premature -- both of the matches in which he had significant gametime (QPR and Yeovil), he seemed to put in a decent shift. I know others disagree (and I'm only going on radio commentary for the Yeovil one), but in my view the jury is out, but he may have potential.

However, Naylor really is talking a load of nonsense. He can't on the one hand say that we (the keyboard warriors) ought to take account of some aspects of Conway's off-pitch circumstances (house move, baby etc) and give him the benefit of the doubt because of them, but on the other hand expect us to ignore his other extra-curricular activities (e.g. his dodgy-sounding pyramid sales business for 'nutritional supplements') on which, to judge by his twitter feed, he seems to spend a disproportionate amount of time and energy -- what on earth is a well-paid footballer doing getting involved with one of these sad 'get rich, quick' schemes? On that, I think the NSC critique is entirely justified.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
However, Naylor really is talking a load of nonsense. He can't on the one hand say that we (the keyboard warriors) ought to take account of some aspects of Conway's off-pitch circumstances (house move, baby etc) and give him the benefit of the doubt because of them, but on the other hand expect us to ignore his other extra-curricular activities (e.g. his dodgy-sounding pyramid sales business for 'nutritional supplements') on which, to judge by his twitter feed, he seems to spend a disproportionate amount of time and energy -- what on earth is a well-paid footballer doing getting involved with one of these sad 'get rich, quick' schemes? On that, I think the NSC critique is entirely justified.

Quite. I can't do twitter at work, but he posted something at the end of last week, about having a load of meetings lined up, LITERALLY all over the country. Its a very questionable way for a player to be spending the time between training sessions / matches, when he is supposed to be resting.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Andy Naylor says something to generate traffic to the argus website shocker. Why does anyone take any notice of his obvious trolling?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think people are sometimes a little too harsh on Andy Naylor. He has a fairly tough job finding a back page lead every day and to fill space inside the paper as well. Law of averages says some of these won't be hard news and appear a little tame. Equally, some stories will show an opinion many on here disagree with. There won't be massive Albion-related news every day of the week.

However, I do sometimes struggle with this idea of "keyboard detractors" as something of a separate, irrational, supporting sub group. The fact someone is sharing an opinion on NSC or wherever does not make it somehow less valid, which sometimes seems to be the insinuation from some areas of the printed press.

And in this instance, I don't think an hour of average football away to the worst Championship team I have ever seen during which Conway created at best a couple of chances can really be seen to silence any of his critics - online or otherwise.

Also, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, I think for "extremists" you could probably just put "people who spent a lot of money and time travelling to Yeovil to watch a pretty shit performance and were rightly disappointed..."

Why does he even need to look to NSC for keyboard warriors? There are plenty of them hanging out at the Argus website comments section. They can pretty much spout their "expert" opinions unchallenged there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Besides, how well did he REALLY play? No goals, no assists... Hardly silencing.

Stats for assists are a bit of a nonsense anyway. He could deliver any number of excellent crosses or put it on a plate for someone, but statistically it counts for naff-all if the recipient doesn't do his job and stick it in the back of the net. We seem to need about 15 chances to score one goal at present.

Thats why I could never understand how much stick KLL would get. Time and time again he'd beat his fullback and get the ball across the box - the fact that nobody got on the end of it would mean all his good work would invariably be forgotten about, except people would remember the odd cross he put into the stand and declare he'd had another shit game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we sign someone on loan then they should be fit and ready to play and not have a load of baggage with them, makes you wonder why we went for him if it was going to take half of his loan spell to get him right
This is the bit I don't get from Burke's Roar interview.

As said before, everybody has know since May we would start this season 'light up front'.
Assuming Lita ticks every box in Burke's impressive check list, why have the club waited till the 11th hour before getting him in.
The situation with the Albion has only got worse.
I don't imagine LL's circumstances have changed since August.

Why wait so long?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That story is bullsh*t on so many levels.

Hand on heart, I would cut my left bollock off to play football for a living for the amount of money Conway is earning. In fact, I'd move to Wales tomorrow and work down the mines for the type of money Conway is earning. That should instantly negate the "he's had to move and is feeling sorry for himself" angle.

Now for the "keyboard warrior" angle. Why even waste the paper and ink highlighting what a faceless, nameless and intangible entity has written on the internet. Individual posts on NSC are someone's opinion and represent nothing other than that. There is no collective "this is what we think". None of it is worth debating outside of these pages, it's just stupid.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The fact that he's a new dad explains why he was asleep on the wing at Loftus Road. Don't think he chased the ball once.

Article doesn't properly address the business thing. It's highly unusual for a pro player to be so wrapped up in a sideline. In fact, I'm sure many employers would forbid it.

Anyway, with all the personal stuff out of the way, I look forward to some great, consistent performances from Conway.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In fairness to Conway - who hasn't impressed me at all so far - he has hardly played. Very difficult to judge on the basis of five games, two of which he started on the bench, in a team generally struggling a little to find its feet. One of his games also came away to the team expected to walk this division with a defence which gives up very little.

Expected more from him though. I think that is fair to say.

Part of me feels sorry for Solly March who impressed in pre-season but hasn't got a go yet. With Lua Lua now out I think we did need to get a wide player in on loan. Not quite so sure that was the case when we signed Conway.

If money is as tight as it seems to be, I don't think many would have complained had March been used off the bench or in the odd game in the same way Ince has been in absence of Bridcutt.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In fairness to Conway - who hasn't impressed me at all so far - he has hardly played. Very difficult to judge on the basis of five games, two of which he started on the bench, in a team generally struggling a little to find its feet. One of his games also came away to the team expected to walk this division with a defence which gives up very little.

Expected more from him though. I think that is fair to say.

Part of me feels sorry for Solly March who impressed in pre-season but hasn't got a go yet. With Lua Lua now out I think we did need to get a wide player in on loan. Not quite so sure that was the case when we signed Conway.

If money is as tight as it seems to be, I don't think many would have complained had March been used off the bench or in the odd game in the same way Ince has been in absence of Bridcutt.

But we signed Conway because Orlandi was injured ??? and we needed another option to Kaz ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here