And they said there wasn't a bad view at the Amex - glass view update!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Some people seem to be confusing us with a global 'brand' like the top Premier League clubs. Our corporate area bears no comparison. There won't be coach-loads of Koreans turning up who've never been to England let alone Manchester. I'd be surprised if you'll find anyone who's bought seats in the 1901 club who isn't either from Brighton/Sussex or has spent a fair amount of time living here. It's a different culture entirely to the 'prawn sandwich brigade' Roy Keane complained about. The repeated sniping is lazy and increasingly tiresome.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some people seem to be confusing us with a global 'brand' like the top Premier League clubs. Our corporate area bears no comparison. There won't be coach-loads of Koreans turning up who've never been to England let alone Manchester. I'd be surprised if you'll find anyone who's bought seats in the 1901 club who isn't either from Brighton/Sussex or has spent a fair amount of time living here. It's a different culture entirely to the 'prawn sandwich brigade' Roy Keane complained about. The repeated sniping is lazy and increasingly tiresome.

Yep. It seems that whether it's jcl's or 1901, some people just want to feel aggrieved. Schadenfreude, the German word for taking delight at someone else's misfortune. It's pretty perverse when it involves people who are supporting the same club as you.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Yep. It seems that whether it's jcl's or 1901, some people just want to feel aggrieved. Schadenfreude, the German word for taking delight at someone else's misfortune. It's pretty perverse when it involves people who are supporting the same club as you.
That is true,when I looked at the barrier from my seat it blocked off the fans from below,not the pitch or goals,I can bear with that.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
What a lather people get themselves in on here. The club weren't putting up a garden shed - this is a MASSIVE stadium. There's bound to be the odd snag and the rationale behind inviting everyone in was to highlight those flaws.

So the barriers aren't ideal for, what, 40 people out of 23500? And the Chairman has immediately said he will address the problem?

I just can't understand the sadly typical British mentality of taking delight in finding faults in something that is, in truth, absolutely magnificent. And why's it so hilarious because it's the 1901 club? Jealousy?

The majority of people who joined are like me - a supporter for 30+ years who simply decided to put his spare cash into a club he loves watching. An £8000 commitment over 5 years and I'll probably only be able to get to half the games. But that's fine - it's the Albion. If the football goes tits up & the ticket won't sell when I can't go, I'll take the financial hit as it all goes to a good cause.

If it wasn't for that huge, up front wedge of cash provided by the 1901 club, who's to say prices elsewhere in the ground would have been so reasonable?

Of course, there will be Arsenal and Spurs and Chelsea fans in there, which I'll find a irritating as anyone but that goes with the territory. As long as they get behind the team for 90 minutes, I couldn't care less. And there'll be more than a few converts... As one Brighton-based Chelsea fan said to me yesterday, "this place pisses all over Stamford Bridge". I could never switch allegiance but most of those who did just wanted to watch decent football in a better environment than Withdean - their choice. Now that's on their doorstep, they'll switch again. People don't have to like them but they should love their money, because it's going to make what happens on the pitch better for all of us.

Well said. Too many jealous wankers sneering on from the sidelines.

It's a very British, and deeply unattractive trait.

If the barriers are to be removed, then that's it - thread over.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
What a lather people get themselves in on here. The club weren't putting up a garden shed - this is a MASSIVE stadium. There's bound to be the odd snag and the rationale behind inviting everyone in was to highlight those flaws.

So the barriers aren't ideal for, what, 40 people out of 23500? And the Chairman has immediately said he will address the problem?

I just can't understand the sadly typical British mentality of taking delight in finding faults in something that is, in truth, absolutely magnificent. And why's it so hilarious because it's the 1901 club? Jealousy?

The majority of people who joined are like me - a supporter for 30+ years who simply decided to put his spare cash into a club he loves watching. An £8000 commitment over 5 years and I'll probably only be able to get to half the games. But that's fine - it's the Albion. If the football goes tits up & the ticket won't sell when I can't go, I'll take the financial hit as it all goes to a good cause.

If it wasn't for that huge, up front wedge of cash provided by the 1901 club, who's to say prices elsewhere in the ground would have been so reasonable?

Of course, there will be Arsenal and Spurs and Chelsea fans in there, which I'll find a irritating as anyone but that goes with the territory. As long as they get behind the team for 90 minutes, I couldn't care less. And there'll be more than a few converts... As one Brighton-based Chelsea fan said to me yesterday, "this place pisses all over Stamford Bridge". I could never switch allegiance but most of those who did just wanted to watch decent football in a better environment than Withdean - their choice. Now that's on their doorstep, they'll switch again. People don't have to like them but they should love their money, because it's going to make what happens on the pitch better for all of us.

Top posting.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I noticed yesterday that some barriers had been removed,there were central barriers down the gangways of WSU but they have been removed all that is left to show they had been there is blanked in holes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For everyone else.

Will be very interesting to see what the club do. Stands sold out, where can they move them to?!!

They've kept seats back for this very eventuality. I was told until it was finished they wouldn't know if there were situations like this, and in each block they have a few floating seats they can allocate in circumstances where someone has an obscured view.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They've kept seats back for this very eventuality. I was told until it was finished they wouldn't know if there were situations like this, and in each block they have a few floating seats they can allocate in circumstances where someone has an obscured view.

Ah okay, that makes a lot of sense. Sounds like there are quite a few possible solutions then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club have been in touch with me on this and asked me to pass on that glass screens (as used at The Emirates) will be installed in the near future, replacing the bars as pictured and much discussed.

stonski

Jan 31, 2009
Cowfold
261513_10150326014903593_647098592_9315614_4455747_s.jpg

Me holding onto the bar in question.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
It's no big deal, the bars can clearly be lifted out to exchange for other ones.

The simple answer is to remove the middle horizontal bar, fit some brackets and then fit toughened glass ( laminated ) - no different to a car windscreen. Might be better to raise the top bar to increase the viewing area through the screen but not so high as to block the sight line of the second row.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's no big deal, the bars can clearly be lifted out to exchange for other ones.

The simple answer is to remove the middle horizontal bar, fit some brackets and then fit toughened glass ( laminated ) - no different to a car windscreen. Might be better to raise the top bar to increase the viewing area through the screen but not so high as to block the sight line of the second row.

There are lots of products available where they wouldn't need any top bars at all, and be fully compliant with safety requirements and prevention of falling etc.

100_0303.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmmm...I was going to make a beeline for aisle seats, front row of the WSU. They'd all gone by the time I got to my presentation though, so I'm in the WSU, aisle seats but 5 rows back. Looks like I dodged a bullet there, wouldn't be keen on looking through a perspex screen either tbh.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hmmm...I was going to make a beeline for aisle seats, front row of the WSU. They'd all gone by the time I got to my presentation though, so I'm in the WSU, aisle seats but 5 rows back. Looks like I dodged a bullet there, wouldn't be keen on looking through a perspex screen either tbh.

I know what you mean but, I think, in reality once things get going it would probably bother most people for all of about 5 minutes - the same as the holes in the south stand.

I've been on-site at the stadium quite a few times since the construction began but yesterday was my first visit for about 6 months. I thought I'd have a fair idea how it would all look, especially having pored over the photos on here but the reality left me gobsmacked.

What a sensational place, especially when compared to other new grounds - any minor quibbles about cosmetic appearance are going to be forgotten the second the team walks out of that tunnel.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Any truth in the talk of windscreen wipers on the perspex? (1901 area only)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Any truth in the talk of windscreen wipers on the perspex? (1901 area only)

surely the 1901ers can pay for some immigrant to squat next to the glass and when it rains, he/she can wipe it clean

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have arranged for an elderly Huddersfield fan to mop my brow, wipe my screen, keep me loaded up with Harveys and prawn sarnies.......

or there again, totally igore you as you have sold your soul to the corporate/glazier/abramovitch/wembley middle tier prawn sandwich brigade. I fart in your general direction from the ruffian stand where we will be allowed to wear our shirts ( not that I do as it's so common) swear, stand and generally have a good time.

he he

taking the mrs around the ground on Wednesday evening when you are preparing to go to Portugal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports