Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex versus Saint Mary's

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember once there was a rugby match on the BBC, The North vs New Zealand or something, which was played at Anfield. I'm sure this was Rugby Union.

Quite possibly. Wouldn't be the first time the Argus has got something wrong.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
This should be titled Brighton versus Southampton rather than Amex V St Mary's as the council/club etc are bidding to be a HOST CITY not just a venue. If you've been to a world cup (football or rugby) you'll know that being a host city is a really big deal. Surely it's no contest... Brighton is one of the most tourist friendly and vibrant cities on the UK with thousands of hotel beds and superb transport links including Gatwick Airport. Southampton offers none of those things. Plus the Amex is 100 times better than St Mary's. Fan park on the beach would be fun!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I thought the stadiums had already been decided several months ago? I remember seeing St Marys on the list. Maybe I misread it & the stadiums suggested were only provisional?

Regarding Anfield? Regardless of the pitch size, I think the spectator facilities there are well dated anyway. Poor views and seat leg room that is cramped for anyone over 5ft 4in. If you're at the back of the Anfield Road end, the view goes from poor to almost non existent. Then again, as people have suggested, chances are many of the pool games won't be a full house anyway.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Getting to and from the stadium will be our biggest negative .. other factors are broadly similar, I'd have thought they would chose them over us but maybe money will play a part

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Psl holders should get their tickets never been to a rugger bugger match before if we get it I will certainly check it out.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Regarding Anfield? Regardless of the pitch size, I think the spectator facilities there are well dated anyway. Poor views and seat leg room that is cramped for anyone over 5ft 4in. If you're at the back of the Anfield Road end, the view goes from poor to almost non existent. Then again, as people have suggested, chances are many of the pool games won't be a full house anyway.

That and the dog eggs everywhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Psl holders should get their tickets never been to a rugger bugger match before if we get it I will certainly check it out.

Of course they won't. It wouldn't be a BHA-promoted match. Did you get 'your' seat, for the England representative games? No, thought not.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This should be titled Brighton versus Southampton rather than Amex V St Mary's as the council/club etc are bidding to be a HOST CITY not just a venue. If you've been to a world cup (football or rugby) you'll know that being a host city is a really big deal. Surely it's no contest... Brighton is one of the most tourist friendly and vibrant cities on the UK with thousands of hotel beds and superb transport links including Gatwick Airport. Southampton offers none of those things. Plus the Amex is 100 times better than St Mary's. Fan park on the beach would be fun!

Better choice and number of hotels in Brighton, certainly. Transport links are similar, or possibly BETTER in Southampton - both have direct rail and motorway links to London. Both have International Airports, though Parkway is a lot closer to St.Mary's than Gatwick is to Falmer. Southampton Airport Parkway to St.Denys is one stop on a direct train - takes 4 minutes. As to a fan park - I can think of great locations in both towns.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd imagine the popularity of Rugbo within the armed forces would give St Mary's the edge, on this one.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think it is the stadium infrastructure that gives us the edge with our modern set up for the players, officials and media. Other factors may include the availability of hotel rooms and hospitality for the usual assortment of hangers on and bigwigs. I think we are a more attractive proposition to the authorities than Southampton.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Having seen the set up for the Rugby World Cup in France a few years back it isn't just about the stadiums, it is very much about the 'host cities' with a lot of emphasis on the availability of local facilities for visiting fans which is where Brighton should have the edge. The vibe was great, even when the French got knocked out (te he).

I guess it would help if you get one of the top teams based and playing group games locally.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If they have to make comparisons on the two stadia and the local infrastructure (hotels , entertainment , atmosphere , nightlife) there is only one winner - The Amex

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
The only thing I like about St Marys that we have not got at the Amex is outside loos.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I know it's financially great for our club & our City but I will be gutted if they start all that bollox at our stadium. It's a football stadium & it's ours, we've waited what seems an eternity for the Amex and they want to f*** about playing rugby at our f***ing stadium? f*** off and do 1. Have your tea & tiffin in the Profile Lounge if you wish but ffs, Brighton is hardly a hot bed of rugby is it? Just my opinion!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I think the transport issue could let our bid down. I would also find it weird watching fat egg chasers wobbling around the Amex Turf.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Of course they won't. It wouldn't be a BHA-promoted match. Did you get 'your' seat, for the England representative games? No, thought not.

I didn't try, We should do the two biggest things that where spoken about it was that firstly you can sell it match by match to the club if you can't go, thats now dufunct due to the ticket exchange, and second that you have the first pick of your seat at ALL events held at the stadium.

If that is bull too then my Aunt who bought them for me brother and I won't be very happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here