Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex versus Saint Mary's

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
- the one thing that maybe goes against us is access/on site parking and we could lose out because of that

Its an International tournament though. How many Australia or Italy fans, are going to be here in their cars. I would have thought public transport capabilities are far more important, in this instances.

(Not that St.Marys is not accessible, of course).

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Won't it bugger up the pitch? Especially as it's due to be held during the football season.
I remember how bad Wembley pitch was for an England international, shortly after they played american football on it a few years ago.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We have an amazing playing surface-I'd prefer it if we kept it that way. Let Southampton have it.

Won't it bugger up the pitch? Especially as it's due to be held during the football season.
I remember how bad Wembley pitch was for an England international, shortly after they played american football on it a few years ago.

Its a legitimate concern, but:

The tournament will be held in September but will not clash directly with the football season, as it has been timed to coincide with an international break.

Fears about damage to the pitch are likely to be over-ridden by the huge commercial benefits to the club and the city of being involved in the competition.

Anyway. TWO rugby matches will not have a serious impact on the modern pitch installed at the Amex. Rugby is played every week at the Liberty Stadium, which has a similar pitch, and Swansea's style doesn't seem to have been adversly affected.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Also, don't they have plans to increase their capacity?

Why would they want to increase their capacity when it was half-empty for their first game back in the Premier League?

It would be nice if the Amex was chosen, but I suspect it will be St Mary's simply because of its geographical location.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope ST holders would get priority...

Some / all of 1901 would be given to RFU and international associations and tournament sponsors I imagine. Along with commercial hospitality packages.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think it would be terrific if we could successfully bid for a coupe of these games. Bringing an international tournament to the city has huge benefits for Brighton as a whole and the Albion in particular. I think we have a decent chance of winning too, with perceived transport issues the only sticking point imo. No disrespect but the Amex is one of the better sporting facilities in the UK right now, and I would argue in the 30,000 capacity range it is the best.

It's not just the capacity and spectator facilities that are first class, it is the dressing rooms, preparation and medical facilities aswell as purpose-built media facilities that give us the edge over St Mary's in my opinion.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Would be fantastic to play host to a major tournament like that. Can't imagine we'd have any chance of hosting England though, stadium wouldn't be big enough.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Southampton would get it, more accessible to those in the west if anything and further from London than the Amex.

Would only be about 2 games and i cant see it being the "top" teams, so i dont know if it would even sell out. Would probably also require it to be renamed "Falmer Stadium" for a couple of weeks too, because of their advertising restrictions these competitions always have.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As one of the smaller stadiums in the pool, it'd probably be used for Japan vs Romania or Canada vs Namibia anyway...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Anfield for one, cannot be considered, as the playing area is not big enough. Leeds is more than likely the same.
Rugby league games have been played at Anfield, and the dimensions for that can't be much different?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'd like to see it - but every time there was a scrum I would have to cover my eyes as they tore up the lovely pitch. Mind you they might allow drinking in the stands which would help soothe my nerves.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Let's be honest, which of the two cities is likely to be a bigger draw for foreign tourists looking to make a weekend or few days of it? Brighton wins hands down. I reckon we'll get this on that basis - our city shits all over Southampton.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Rugby league games have been played at Anfield, and the dimensions for that can't be much different?

I remember once there was a rugby match on the BBC, The North vs New Zealand or something, which was played at Anfield. I'm sure this was Rugby Union.

EDIT:
Just found this, maybe the pitch was shortened when they rebuilt The Kop :shrug:

Rugby Union: All Blacks tricks beat Grayson's place kicks: New Zealanders' typical tactics at an unusual venue keep the North tryless while talks are in prospect over rucking - Sport - The Independent

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here