Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex versus Saint Mary's

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It looks like the RFU will be deciding between the Amex and Saint Mary's for holding grade 2 matches during the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

A 30,750 seater stadium with high spec kit out against a slightly older 32,500 capacity stadium which has probably seen a lot of upgrades following Southampton's promotion to the Premiership.

Southampton has a bigger population whilst Brighton has arguably a more attractive image to tourists.

I don't want this to be a Brighton versus Southampton bin fest but it'll be interesting to see the outcome.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think Southampton has a bigger population than B&H, does it?

Obviously The Amex is far superior to St Mary's, but could we pay the price for being a little too close to London? I know Southampton isn't that much further, but it spreads the venues a little more. Also, don't they have plans to increase their capacity?

Southampton to Twickenham 67.5miles. Brighton to Twickenham 68.8miles (by AA Routeplanner)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm not sure TBH, should have checked but I've always assumed Southampton is a much larger city in comparison to Brighton.

Also, I'm not sure the capacities will mean too much as the RFU are probably looking at smaller stadiums for matches like Tonga versus Canada.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't want this to be a Brighton versus Southampton bin fest but it'll be interesting to see the outcome.

I think you may have posted this on the wrong place then :)

No brainer for me. Rugby is a game played by homosexuals who enjoy grappling each other between the legs. So it's ours, all ours.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think Southampton has a bigger population than B&H, does it?
I think it does, but it depends how you measure it.

Obviously The Amex is far superior to St Mary's, but could we pay the price for being a little too close to London? I know Southampton isn't that much further, but it spreads the venues a little more. Also, don't they have plans to increase their capacity?
The biggest advantage St Mary's has is that you can walk to it from the town centre.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brighton to London - 53.6 miles
Southampton to London - 79.4 miles

If geographical spread of host cities is important (and I've no idea if it is or not) then having Brighton and London just seems a bit close.

Anyway, that's overlooking the fact that The Amex is amazing and St Mary's looks like a converted B&Q store.

True.

However, they already have their sightlines and floodlighting optimised for up and unders.

D

Deleted member 18477

Twickenham
Wembley
Millennium stadium
Old Trafford
The emirates
St James park
Anfield
Elland road

Ricoh arena
St Mary's

+ a couple of shit egg chaser stadiums.

To be honest they'd be better off ditching Kingsholm stadium in Gloucester (egg chaser stadium) and having the Amex and st Mary's. Welford road stadium in Leicester isn't too bad now they've got a new stand.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Twickenham
Wembley
Millennium stadium
Old Trafford
The emirates
St James park
Anfield
Elland road

Ricoh arena
St Mary's

+ a couple of shit egg chaser stadiums.

To be honest they'd be better off ditching Kingsholm stadium in Gloucester (egg chaser stadium) and having the Amex and st Mary's. Welford road stadium in Leicester isn't too bad now they've got a new stand.

Anfield for one, cannot be considered, as the playing area is not big enough. Leeds is more than likely the same.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Suspect it will come down to cost as one would assume that all the facilities will be pretty similar and most other factors are much of a muchness - the one thing that maybe goes against us is access/on site parking and we could lose out because of that

I would imagine that if we have the academy and training ground in place by then it might be an attractive venuie for one of the competing teams

D

Deleted member 18477

Anfield for one, cannot be considered, as the playing area is not big enough. Leeds is more than likely the same.

Well they're according to wiki. Which usually has the correct venues leading up to these tournaments. They're still only provisional though yes. But as a provisional surely they've checked the pitch size...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have better ale at the AMEX. This is important to rugby types. Winner.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well they're according to wiki. Which usually has the correct venues leading up to these tournaments. They're still only provisional though yes. But as a provisional surely they've checked the pitch size...

Albion launch rugby World Cup bid From The Argus)

Other venues under consideration include the Olympic Stadium, Wembley, The Emirates and Twickenham in London, Villa Park and Pride Park in the Midlands, Old Trafford and St James’ Park in the North and the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Some like Anfield have already been ruled out, because the pitch is not long enough to accommodate the run-off areas behind the posts required for rugby.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
True.

However, they already have their sightlines and floodlighting optimised for up and unders.

This and the point made by Simster about proximity to town centre will be key here. If I was being dispassionate then I would think Southampton would get the nod.

But that's not saying it is a better stadium. But it may be a better choice for the RFU

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd feel really odd going down to the Amex, sitting in the WSU, and watching a different sport that uses the whole pitch.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We have an amazing playing surface-I'd prefer it if we kept it that way. Let Southampton have it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Suspect it will come down to cost as one would assume that all the facilities will be pretty similar and most other factors are much of a muchness - the one thing that maybe goes against us is access/on site parking and we could lose out because of that

True, a pretty big - for the Amex there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here