[Albion] Amex Plan B details

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm beginning to fear that we may have almost seen the last of full attendences for the remainder of this season.

I was very surprised to hear a statistic on Radion Snooze (Sussex) this week, that barely 40% of the total population of Brighton & Hove and received both vaccination doses, never mind the booster. Alarmed as much as surprised actually.

What hope has society got of trying to combat Covid with stats like that? Until that number substantially rises we are basically p*****g in the wind.

All this talk about the wearing of facemasks on this thread, (and yes l believe it should be a mandatory requirement by law), but compared to the need to get far more people fully vaccinated, it is such a minor thing.

If (if!) you’ve NOT had both jabs and a booster, or booked to have booster, then you should be cared for at home of you catch it by friends and family. If you can’t be cared for at home then you have to get through by yourself. Should relieve pressure on NHS. If more people die then that’s just the way it is. I’m all for helping vulnerable and those most in need of care, but if it’s self inflicted. We live in the age of entitlement. And you are entitled to be stupid therefore. Including the consequences of. Which could be fatal in this instance.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe exempt-status should be pre-declared on the questionnaire thing the club are supposed to be sending out prior to the Wolves game. Which would be clearly halfway to Big Brother (the second half being compulsory vaccination)

But how else does the club stand a chance of enforcing mask-wearing? Tho if it's a law of the land, maybe on-the-spot fines might just focus the simple minds of the jolly boys who think Covid is something to do with some other bloke somewher else. Jolly boys will be piling off the trains without a care, without a mask, same as always.

All heavy unwelcome stuff. Far easier to just play the games behind closed doors again. Especially at this time of year when it's bloody freezing at the Amex :moo:

Unfortunately the horse has already bolted on this one. It wouldn't have been beyond the wit of man to have written an exemption process into the NHS app. Someone that thinks they fit the criteria clicks a box on the app. This goes to their GP who looks at their medical records and then either approves or rejects the application. All those approved can then show it in the Covid Pass area. But of course we're talking about Boris et al here !

I'll happily pre-declare. It's just important that people's medical conditions are kept between them and their doctor so it should just be "I'm exempt". I do have some sympathy for the club around enforcement - it should be the job of the police ( ha ha ha ha ) not a private business to enforce the law.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If (if!) you’ve NOT had both jabs and a booster, or booked to have booster, then you should be cared for at home of you catch it by friends and family. If you can’t be cared for at home then you have to get through by yourself. Should relieve pressure on NHS. If more people die then that’s just the way it is. I’m all for helping vulnerable and those most in need of care, but if it’s self inflicted. We live in the age of entitlement. And you are entitled to be stupid therefore. Including the consequences of. Which could be fatal in this instance.

Every Covid patient admittted to my local hospital (at least up to last Saturday when I was discharged) was unjabbed. The hospital had to organize two separate ICU units and staff rotas. I understand the sentiment but I would focus on compensating the staff, who are embarking on an extremely rough winter of work. They just want to save everyone and wouldn’t sacrifice anyone whether they are stupid or not. It’s also a bit scary (as an existing patient with a different condition) hearing about the Covid patients being admitted despite being assured they are a corridor away.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm beginning to fear that we may have almost seen the last of full attendences for the remainder of this season.

I was very surprised to hear a statistic on Radion Snooze (Sussex) this week, that barely 40% of the total population of Brighton & Hove and received both vaccination doses, never mind the booster. Alarmed as much as surprised actually.

What hope has society got of trying to combat Covid with stats like that? Until that number substantially rises we are basically p*****g in the wind.

All this talk about the wearing of facemasks on this thread, (and yes l believe it should be a mandatory requirement by law), but compared to the need to get far more people fully vaccinated, it is such a minor thing.

Without trying to blow my own trumpet, and with apologies for bouncing my own post, after a lot of thought l really do think that it comes down to this:

Until a high enough proportion of the populaton recieve three doses of the vaccine, we will continue to be forever bogged down with a myriad of restrictions, and probably annual national lockdowns too.

End of.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Rightly or wrongly, this would be against the law if said person claims exemption, for which there is no legal requirement to prove. See:

And that's another thing. If you are too sick to protect others by wearing a mask you should send someone else for your shopping and avoid large gatherings/events. I bet a few would suddenly find they are perfectly capable of wearing a mask and protect others instead of behaving like a selfish t1t.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This thread is depressing - COVID continues because the measures are not strong enough.

Mask wearing is not difficult to enforce - you make it compulsory because that is the rule of the club. If you are exempt then sorry wear a mask or we give a refund. I think there are a lot more people not going to football because the rules are not good enough than there are GENUINE exemptions. I have lung problems I wear a mask and I believe I actually benefit from that despite it not being easy.

I suspect most people will get the message quickly - no mask no football - and will comply. The hardcore non maskers will then be small numbers and more easily dealt with - facial recognition and suspension of season ticket for not following rules no refund. Once you are down to small numbers you get back to helping those who have an issue wearing a surgical mask and offer exemptions or use plastic face guards.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was lucky enough to get the Man City game last season. Wore a mask throughout. It’s a tiny bit of paper, barely noticeable, keeps your face warm and makes the place safer. What’s the big deal?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That's not a requirement though, is it? There's no burden of proof on anyone.

Sadly we all know the sorts who won't wear a mask and believe a cocky "I'm exempt mate" is all they need to say to any challenge they face.

Funnily enough at Disney World, masks are required in all indoor locations. No mask, no entry. Seems to be far fewer exempt people there. By "far fewer", I mean none at all.

Bearing in mind how little a surgical mask affects your breathing, you have to wonder how many people who are genuinely ‘exempt’ would actually be well enough to go to a football match on a cold December evening. It’s a ridiculous excuse for all but a minuscule minority.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
And as pointed out elsewhere, you need enforcers to enforce. The weight of numbers precludes that. Pop the mask on at the turnstiles, then take it off on the stairs.

Exactly right :thumbsup:

I was at Worthing game last weekend. Quick dash back to the station after the game … enforcement officers checking tickets … enforcement officers then boarded the train and went through carriages making sure that not only were people wearing masks but that they were also wearing them correctly!

Enforcement like that at a Premier League game just isn’t possible. How many enforcers would be needed I wonder … and so many potential flash points.

I’m not bothered about a beer at the game … so I’ve been wearing my mask while queuing, while heading up the stairs to West Upper … on the concourse while I get my pie and cuppa … then head straight out to my seat. Mask back in when heading back onto the concourse and in the loo etc!

It’s not difficult … unless you want to make it difficult!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
And that's another thing. If you are too sick to protect others by wearing a mask you should send someone else for your shopping and avoid large gatherings/events. I bet a few would suddenly find they are perfectly capable of wearing a mask and protect others instead of behaving like a selfish t1t.

Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Not everyone who should be exempt from wearing a mask is physically sick from doing so. Was hearing a horrible story of a women who was attacked and wearing a mask triggers anxiety attacks from that traumatic experience.

I’m sure the majority of people refusing to wear a mask are taking the piss. But on the off chance it’s the 0.001% legit reason you can’t confront someone over it really. What annoys me is the new breed of hybrid sunflower lanyard wearers with masks on. Why? To have a little nose holiday when you feel like it?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Exactly right :thumbsup:

I was at Worthing game last weekend. Quick dash back to the station after the game … enforcement officers checking tickets … enforcement officers then boarded the train and went through carriages making sure that not only were people wearing masks but that they were also wearing them correctly!

Enforcement like that at a Premier League game just isn’t possible. How many enforcers would be needed I wonder … and so many potential flash points.

I’m not bothered about a beer at the game … so I’ve been wearing my mask while queuing, while heading up the stairs to West Upper … on the concourse while I get my pie and cuppa … then head straight out to my seat. Mask back in when heading back onto the concourse and in the loo etc!

It’s not difficult … unless you want to make it difficult!

Exactly

Went to Tesco’s today for the first time in ages and was pleasantly surprised to see that virtually everyone was wearing a mask.

What is it about our supporters that make them so selfish they won’t wear a mask?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly

Went to Tesco’s today for the first time in ages and was pleasantly surprised to see that virtually everyone was wearing a mask.

What is it about our supporters that make them so selfish they won’t wear a mask?

It's not OUR supporters.

It's young people and groups of lads, lads, lads.

The 11.32 Brighton to Southampton last week had virtually no mask wearing and was full of fans of both teams from Cosham onwards. People were eating sandwiches, drinking coffees or, in the main, tucking into boxes of beer. Against Leeds, though it was not mandatory to wear a mask at that time, Leeds fans were exactly the same as Brighton fans on the trains over, mask-less, but at least in part due to consumption of goods.

The uncomfortable truth is that you stop this with not only mask enforcement but dry trains and food-free trains and no sales on the concourse. Do that and attendance at games will drop by 50% by itself and the club, transport companies and their suppliers will lose yet more crippling amounts of money and go under.

People should do the right thing by their fellow humans and, in general, I do because I don't want to kill someone. But getting to 100% mask compliance on match day will take an awful lot of aggro. I've quite enjoyed my last two away games. If I'd not been able to eat and drink on the train I'd not have gone - and, like it or not, there's the get out.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So, i've missed all of this. Excuse me.

Are they suggesting that they will enforce mask wearing whilst watching the game?

In the concourses and bogs obviously a good idea, but in your seat?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Every Covid patient admittted to my local hospital (at least up to last Saturday when I was discharged) was unjabbed. The hospital had to organize two separate ICU units and staff rotas. I understand the sentiment but I would focus on compensating the staff, who are embarking on an extremely rough winter of work. They just want to save everyone and wouldn’t sacrifice anyone whether they are stupid or not. It’s also a bit scary (as an existing patient with a different condition) hearing about the Covid patients being admitted despite being assured they are a corridor away.

Precisely. Protect the NHS means not allowing the idiots near it in their hour of need because of the otherwise stress it has on staff like you and yours as well as taking up resources required by non covid sufferers.

Fair enough if you still need treatment despite having both jabs and a booster. If you’re too stupid or arrogant though…? In football parlance, maybe you deserve an ‘early bath’!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports