Amex car park changes - this will upset the early leavers parked in Bennett's Field

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My Dad and Aunt are 1901 members. My two brothers and I are NS. After the match we walk from our respective stands to the 7 stars sports bar enjoy a drink. (Driver has a soft drink/Rotates weekly) watch the highlights and then head out. Works well for us. I am sure other 1901'rs can do this or a variation of that in their lounges. Its not a hardship and means you can just walk out to your car and drive home without the traffic problems.

This is all very well. But what if you're the most important person in the world, as many are attending the Amex, and need to get home to watch Family Fortunes post match, eh? Eh? You've not really thought this through with your simplistic rationale that's too sensible to take seriously on NSC.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I can't see the point of this and it will backfire all round.

1) Many BF people will move to the University car park and that will have a knock on effect there.

2) if the club think that making 1901 members stay in the lounges longer and spend more there I think the reverse may be true - people will park elsewhere and eat and drink elsewhere beforehand!

3) They will have to have someone on the gate to let out emergencies or they could be sued if something happens and they can't get out as locked in.

4) If BF is where the hotel is to be then surely this is a precursor to moving everyone from there anyway.

I've never seen much problem between the cars and buses getting out but I have witnessed a few impatient fools blowing their top at the stewards as well as very poor stewarding on the car park. Bit sad that the club can't organise this exit properly and fairly for all. If stewards have been threatened all they needed to do was to take the car details and ban the driver next time.

How is it the stewards can organise the buses going out without a fight but can't filter out cars in with them without a bunfight. Half the problem is they only have one exit so everyone has to race around to that and fight to get in an unorganised queue but if they opened another exit and filtered both it would allow people to get out fairly.

It seems that anything that requires a bit of thought or tact whether its the catering or the car park they just mess it up so no one is particularly happy.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
3) They will have to have someone on the gate to let out emergencies or they could be sued if something happens and they can't get out as locked in.

This isn't an option now, if you did have an emergency now, you simply cannot get out. Once the gridlock has started, that's it, no escape until the cars in front of you are let out, there is no-where to pull over to let other cars come through.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
This is all very well. But what if you're the most important person in the world, as many are attending the Amex, and need to get home to watch Family Fortunes post match, eh? Eh? You've not really thought this through with your simplistic rationale that's too sensible to take seriously on NSC.

Its true that a few people are just inconsiderate but the problem with BF is that its not properly organised and stewarded and the stewards have not been filtering people out fairly.

They have been stopping people who have been waiting for 10-20 mins to leave BF whilst cars driving up from the lower park just drive out.

Its still going to be a bun fight to get out 45 mins after the match with even more cars leaving at once.

All car parks are like that if you don't organise them properly.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

1) Many BF people will move to the University car park and that will have a knock on effect there.

If you currently park in the Uni then you have reason to be pretty unhappy I think, as potentially hundreds of BF permit holders will move. Not being allowed to leave for 45 mins EVERY game is not going to appeal to many people. Chaos will now spread from BF to the Uni.

Furthermore there will now be a situation where EVERY BF car (that is left) will be trying to leave at the same time rather than the at least partly staggered situation currently, when if you wait on a saturday you can normally drive straight out by 45mins after KO.

Not sure if this has been properly thought through........

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
This isn't an option now, if you did have an emergency now, you simply cannot get out. Once the gridlock has started, that's it, no escape until the cars in front of you are let out, there is no-where to pull over to let other cars come through.

Thats true Phil but I was thinking more of someone who HAD to leave for a say family emergency on 70-80 mins - they would run to their car and if no one is there to let them out would be in extreme distress. If they failed then to get out in time ..........

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Its true that a few people are just inconsiderate but the problem with BF is that its not properly organised and stewarded and the stewards have not been filtering people out fairly.

They have been stopping people who have been waiting for 10-20 mins to leave BF whilst cars driving up from the lower park just drive out.

Its still going to be a bun fight to get out 45 mins after the match with even more cars leaving at once.

All car parks are like that if you don't organise them properly.

If it were only 20 minutes, or even 45 minutes, there wouldn't be much of an issue. I have waited in my car for over 90 minutes at the end of a game to get out previously, 80 minutes of which were spent stationay. In our experience 60 minutes is about the norm if you leave your seat after the final whistle. It's a fiasco, and one the club have up unil now refused to do anything about. Whoever is responsible for the transport has clearly not got a clue about car park traffic management, their incomeptance is highlighted by the fact that when the Police managed the car park exit we were home within an hour of the final whistle, and no buses were held up either. The club, and/or the transport manager, don't have the common sense, or humility, to accept they are out of their depths on this, and employ someone who knows what they are doing.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Thats true Phil but I was thinking more of someone who HAD to leave for a say family emergency on 70-80 mins - they would run to their car and if no one is there to let them out would be in extreme distress. If they failed then to get out in time ..........

There is in fact a second exit gate to BF which in an emergency could be opened to let out a single car - the situation would be better with the new system as once released from the car park their exit from the ground wouldn't be restricted by a queue of traffic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

If you currently park in the Uni then you have reason to be pretty unhappy I think, as potentially hundreds of BF permit holders will move. Not being allowed to leave for 45 mins EVERY game is not going to appeal to many people. Chaos will now spread from BF to the Uni.

Furthermore there will now be a situation where EVERY BF car (that is left) will be trying to leave at the same time rather than the at least partly staggered situation currently, when if you wait on a saturday you can normally drive straight out by 45mins after KO.

Not sure if this has been properly thought through........

Anyone who gets out within 45 minutes at the moment are either box holders, therefore they park at the top of BF, or they leave a good 10 minutes before the final whistle. You cannot get out of that car park inside an hour if you park any more than 2 rows down and leave your seat at the final whistle. The 45 minute wait option being propsed by the club will change nothing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
There is in fact a second exit gate to BF which in an emergency could be opened to let out a single car - the situation would be better with the new system as once released from the car park their exit from the ground wouldn't be restricted by a queue of traffic.

If you are parked anywhere but adjacent to the other gate, or stuck in the gridlock, ie not right next to the other gate, how would you get to it?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If you are parked anywhere but adjacent to the other gate, or stuck in the gridlock, ie not right next to the other gate, how would you get to it?

The second gate is along the approach road but closer to the stadium and is normally clear as most cars have tried to join the queue at the bottom of the field.

I appreciate what you are saying that it would be difficult to get a car out of the gridlocked queue to the gate but in the case of a real emergency isn't it likely that the driver would be wanting to get to the gate from where the car was originally parked and not actually be in the gridlocked queue?

In any case couldn't be worse than the current situation but could be a lot better.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My Dad and Aunt are 1901 members. My two brothers and I are NS. After the match we walk from our respective stands to the 7 stars sports bar enjoy a drink. (Driver has a soft drink/Rotates weekly) watch the highlights and then head out. Works well for us. I am sure other 1901'rs can do this or a variation of that in their lounges. Its not a hardship and means you can just walk out to your car and drive home without the traffic problems.

Not any more it doesn't. Now you'll have your leisurely drink, stroll to the car, and find that there is STILL a 45 minute bottleneck to get out of the car park. Same shit, just later.

Oh yes, someone mentioned that the other day but I'd forgotten. Yes that would likely do it, surely the distance walked would be roughly the same?

The free shuttle minibuses run from inside CP5 at Sussex University to the area of the coach park immediately adjacent to the lift down to the outside concourse. And, post-match, the reverse. Travel time in the minibuses is about 5 minutes, when traffic levels are reasonable.

Walking distances are as short as it is possible to achieve.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
As a P&R user hopefully this will become so much quicker that it will be seen as the favoured option? Also filling up more than one coach at a time in the same queue would be a good start to reducing times.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
I walk through the tunnel down from the bridge and it really is only a matter of time before a car hits a pedestrian.

Your right it's an accident waiting to happen with the cars mixing with the pedestrians through that tunnel.
It's not helped by the idiots double parked on the yellow lines the other side of the tunnel ,blocking the exiting cars in the tunnel and in turn hampering the pedestrians access through the tunnel
The stewards will not even go out there to move the illegally parked cars on
They just say we can't do anything about it !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports