Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex car park changes - this will upset the early leavers parked in Bennett's Field

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You'd think so, but football tends to operate in another World. Being kettled outside Selhurst Park springs to mind. Being frog-marched to the station contravenes numerous civil liberties, but it doesn't stop them.

Forget "emergencies" I was looking at getting a parking space this season, just so that I could duck out early and get home (North Kent) over an hour earlier if we had plans on the Saturday night. That seems preferable to the grief I get for dashing in at the last minute, before we dash back out again, or in fact games I've had to miss completely because I would be back too late otherwise. If I'd paid to give myself that option, and was now faced with leaving on 65 mins to get back to my car and out before they lock the gates .... or sit there until past 5.30 then I'd feel my money had been somewhat wasted.

Yep-in this instance the world of the majority, being the coach/bus and P&R users (me included and I also live in North West Kent)! Well done the club!

And those 45 mins post match will give any BF queue jumpers time to reflect on their previous antisocial tactics, as well as to give them time to plan how they are going to barge in when the gates do eventually open!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess it'll result in a smoother (if highly belated) exit for everyone from BF, but I wonder what the stands are going to look like with an hour gone for the rest of this season. Rubbish game, we're losing, an hour on the clock, and suddenly you're bringing forward your 80-85 minute decision to leave to 60-65, otherwise your car is impounded till gone half five. And who's going to want to carry on doing that into next season ??

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I guess it'll result in a smoother (if highly belated) exit for everyone from BF, but I wonder what the stands are going to look like with an hour gone for the rest of this season. Rubbish game, we're losing, an hour on the clock, and suddenly you're bringing forward your 80-85 minute decision to leave to 60-65, otherwise your car is impounded till gone half five. And who's going to want to carry on doing that into next season ??

The flip side to that is the number of JLE's who would otherwise have left on 85 mins to run to be first out the car park, who will now stay till the final whistle. I suspect, but I'm far from sure, that there will be a net improvement in 'final whistle' attendance.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
They could use the free minibus service that runs between the stadium and CP5.

Oh yes, someone mentioned that the other day but I'd forgotten. Yes that would likely do it, surely the distance walked would be roughly the same?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The flip side to that is the number of JLE's who would otherwise have left on 85 mins to run to be first out the car park, who will now stay till the final whistle. I suspect, but I'm far from sure, that there will be a net improvement in 'final whistle' attendance.

True, good point.
"Oh well, we're stuck here now, might as well see the final whistle"

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yeah you can fit 3 or 4 buses in there. But at times, well quite regularly, there are 3 or 4 buses at the ground per park and ride. Oh and also the 25, 23 and 28 stop there normally. Using an 8k Withdean as a blueprint for a 30k Amex is not really going to work.

This. At FT there is often 10ish buses waiting to fill up and you cannot fill them up at Falmer Station, it MIGHT work for Mithras House, but then it would screw over the normal buses. It would be too dangerous for Mill Road buses as then they would need to cross the slip road to get back onto the main A27 and it would 100% never work for Race Hill for obvious reasons.

RE a bus lane on the slip road, have heard rumours of one going in during the Summer. Would be a part-time one too, so matchdays only.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yep-in this instance the world of the majority, being the coach/bus and P&R users (me included and I also live in North West Kent)! Well done the club!

And those 45 mins post match will give any BF queue jumpers time to reflect on their previous antisocial tactics, as well as to give them time to plan how they are going to barge in when the gates do eventually open!

I am also a P&R user, but I don't think this has treated the BF users fairly. This isn't what they signed up to at the start of the season, and that doesn't seem fair to me.

It helps ME, but the World isn't all about ME, so I don't say well done to the Club. If this change was to happen, then it should have been announced now, that this will happen from next season. Then people can make their decision before they have paid their money.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It helps ME, but the World isn't all about ME, so I don't say well done to the Club. If this change was to happen, then it should have been announced now, that this will happen from next season. Then people can make their decision before they have paid their money.

There is that, but seeing as there has been incidents of verbal and physical assault and several cars nearly running people over - something needed to happen quicker than by the end of the season. Imagine if someone was ran over and was seriously injured or even killed - the club would be to blame and they would be slated for not putting the plan in earlier. Its really a case of damned if they do, damned if they dont.

The day gets better and better!

Unconfirmed that is, know someone who works on ESCC Highways.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I guess it'll result in a smoother (if highly belated) exit for everyone from BF,?

I tend to doubt it will, one exit and everyone trying to force their way in all at around the same time, the aggression will be directed at other drivers rather than the stewards. I can see it being just as stressful even if the wait won't be as long once you are in the car.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I suspect, but I'm far from sure, that there will be a net improvement in 'final whistle' attendance.

Do we need to see an "improvement in final whistle attendance" then? If that really is an issue that needs addresses, then perhaps we lock the doors to the stadium like you would see at an away game. Don't let anyone out of the bottom of the stairways until 15 mins after the final whistle, and then perhaps everyone will think "yeah, may as well stay in my seat then."

Oh yes, someone mentioned that the other day but I'd forgotten. Yes that would likely do it, surely the distance walked would be roughly the same?

If you're hold a "general" UoS car park permit but don't have a specific disabled pass or a written authorisation for CP5 then you can drop off your "infirm" passenger(s) at CP5 on the way in (it's the first car park after the entrance) and then pick them up on the way out after the game. The mini-bus from CP5 drop-off/pick-up point is in the Amex bus park near the South Stand, almost opposite the concourse lift. I use it regularly when I'm having chemotherapy, it's an excellent service.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I am also a P&R user, but I don't think this has treated the BF users fairly. This isn't what they signed up to at the start of the season, and that doesn't seem fair to me.

You did state in an earlier post that you were looking to get a space in BF, so possibly not completely unbiased and a bit about YOU?

Agree, though, on those with existing contracts at BF, but if they will behave like children, and particularly if staff/fellow fans have been threatened with and have experienced violence, it surely cant wait till next season?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
See me earlier post ... where are they all going to go? The exits there are pretty well at capacity I think

That will be the next problem.
Guessing the free BF parking incentivised a fair amount of 1901 signatures initially. Add in the shambolic catering and it all points to a lot of aggrieved punters.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
True, good point.
"Oh well, we're stuck here now, might as well see the final whistle"

Further to this - IF it then becomes smoother and quicker for Bus / P&R people to get away quickly then they too may not be so desperate to rush out?

So this inoffensive, blink-and-you'll-miss-it email from the club could signal the EXTINCTION of the JLE.

(Or maybe that's taking it too far)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
My Dad and Aunt are 1901 members. My two brothers and I are NS. After the match we walk from our respective stands to the 7 stars sports bar enjoy a drink. (Driver has a soft drink/Rotates weekly) watch the highlights and then head out. Works well for us. I am sure other 1901'rs can do this or a variation of that in their lounges. Its not a hardship and means you can just walk out to your car and drive home without the traffic problems.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
There is that, but seeing as there has been incidents of verbal and physical assault and several cars nearly running people over - something needed to happen quicker than by the end of the season. Imagine if someone was ran over and was seriously injured or even killed - the club would be to blame and they would be slated for not putting the plan in earlier. Its really a case of damned if they do, damned if they dont.

Unconfirmed that is, know someone who works on ESCC Highways.

Are you saying that there is an increased risk of vehicle / pedestrian collisons?

I doubt anything is different this season than last, and if that is a very real risk that they must act on, then it should have been done a year ago. My point being that people think they have paid to get something, and that something is a quicker exit from the ground than going via the P&R. Removing that mid-season doesn't seem right.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I tend to doubt it will, one exit and everyone trying to force their way in all at around the same time, the aggression will be directed at other drivers rather than the stewards. I can see it being just as stressful even if the wait won't be as long once you are in the car.

Wouldn't have thought so. The P&R will have largely been cleared over that 45 minutes, which will result in a less stop-start, more constant flow of traffic out of BF, without the need for a Demolition Derby.

There will still be a percentage of aggressive dickheads of course, but the dickhead ratio should recede with these measures.

I'd still be a bit fed up at having to hang around for that 45 minutes every game though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here