Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex car park changes - this will upset the early leavers parked in Bennett's Field

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When the Police opperated the car park after the Liverpool cup game we were all out nice and promptly, with no hold ups for the bus and coach travellers either. The difference, the police knew what they were doing, they have prior experience, they have done it before. Shame our transport 'team' won't listen to, or take any advice from, people who know how to do it.

I agree with this.

Although I suspect that the difference was that the police fairly evened out who had priority between buses, cars from BF and cars coming up from Village Way.

At the moment the priority is 1) Buses 2) Village Way people 3) BF

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I agree with this.

Although I suspect that the difference was that the police fairly evened out who had priority between buses, cars from BF and cars coming up from Village Way.

At the moment the priority is 1) Buses 2) Village Way people 3) BF

Do you think buses carrying up to c100 people at a time shouldn't be given priority over cars carrying probably on average 3 or 4 then?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Do you think buses carrying up to c100 people at a time shouldn't be given priority over cars carrying probably on average 3 or 4 then?

I think the point is, that on that one occassion when professionals dealt with the vehicle egress from the stadium, everyone got home in a timely fashion. Bus & Coach users were not subject to any delays and all got out of the car park in the same sort of time they do normally. BF users were able to leave the car park in a timely and orderly fashion, without waiting for over an hour despite leaving the game on the final whistle, and those who were coming down Village Way were fine too. The amatuers running the egress at the moment do not know what they are doing. They have buses loading one at a time, they hold cars from BF when no buses are moving, cars coming down Village Way are not subject to being held back for any more than a few moments as buses pull out and players cars driving round from the players car park are waved through past the BF exit, past the buses, no problem.

As I said in a previous post, the solution already exists, without the need for holding anyone back, in a car, bus or coach, without the need to close the car park exits and without the need for anyone to be inconvenienced. Sadly those who run (haha) the opperation don't seem to understand that they are doing it all wrong, and won't ask the police to show them how to do it.

I don't disagree but strange that even slower buses are allowed to do it?!
Slow-moving buses move forward from the bus stop, remaining in the left-hand lane, with nothing to overtake. If there is a bus in front of them, a bus driver will wait until that has moved off. Car drivers are not patient enough - they move out on to the fast lane, to overtake (at slow speed) any bus that is waiting at the bus stop. It is, of course, also illegal for cars to stop in the layby, because it's (a) a bus stop clearway and (b) part of the general clearway that applies to this whole stretch of the A27.

I've always wondered why a parking place in Bennett's Field was considered to be some sort of privilege. It seems fairly clear that there are good reasons to confirm that it one of the worst ways to get to or from a football match at the Amex. I'm glad I've never been tempted to use it. Even if I had a space there, I'd park in Lewes or Glynde and catch the train or bus.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I think the point is, that on that one occassion when professionals dealt with the vehicle egress from the stadium, everyone got home in a timely fashion. Bus & Coach users were not subject to any delays and all got out of the car park in the same sort of time they do normally. BF users were able to leave the car park in a timely and orderly fashion, without waiting for over an hour despite leaving the game on the final whistle, and those who were coming down Village Way were fine too. The amatuers running the egress at the moment do not know what they are doing. They have buses loading one at a time, they hold cars from BF when no buses are moving, cars coming down Village Way are not subject to being held back for any more than a few moments as buses pull out and players cars driving round from the players car park are waved through past the BF exit, past the buses, no problem.

As I said in a previous post, the solution already exists, without the need for holding anyone back, in a car, bus or coach, without the need to close the car park exits and without the need for anyone to be inconvenienced. Sadly those who run (haha) the opperation don't seem to understand that they are doing it all wrong, and won't ask the police to show them how to do it.

That wasn't the point I was querying in Giraffe's post, which was specifically about bus priority over cars.

But on your point, I guess that then comes down to police or other professional traffic management company costs as going to take more qualified people to manage than the minimum wage stewards at present. Would BF users be prepared to pay for that?

And that still wont resolve the chaos that is getting to the game off the A27 Eastbound up to the mini roundabout. And prior to that crawl up the hill there is going to be a fatal accident sooner or later when trying to get onto the slip, with cars in the outside lane doing 70, whilst nearside stationery, possibly involving 100 people on a bus.

Let us hope the bus only turn right in left hand slip lane comes to fruition soon, not that it will assist in the potential for a major accident getting to that lane.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That wasn't the point I was querying in Giraffe's post, which was specifically about bus priority over cars.

But on your point, I guess that then comes down to police or other professional traffic management company costs as going to take more qualified people to manage than the minimum wage stewards at present. Would BF users be prepared to pay for that?

And that still wont resolve the chaos that is getting to the game off the A27 Eastbound up to the mini roundabout. And prior to that crawl up the hill there is going to be a fatal accident sooner or later when trying to get onto the slip, with cars in the outside lane doing 70, whilst nearside stationery, possibly involving 100 people on a bus.

Let us hope the bus only turn right in left hand slip lane comes to fruition soon, not that it will assist in the potential for a major accident getting to that lane.

Totally agree with you, but honestly, how much would it cost for the club to eat humble pie and aks the Police how they did it so well?

As for the eastbound, yes, agree 100%, but again, the solution cannot be that expensive. A few judiciously placed road signs which can be flipped on match days to direct cars into one lane, buses into the other, and a bit of traffic management at the top to help cars and buses merge. None of this is a unique situation, traffic has to be managed at venues all over the country, and by managing it you install safety, as well as improve journey times, and reduce polution. I'd have thought all those things would make it a no brainer for the club to deal with it professionally. For the amount of money the club has spent on staffing, and subsequent redundancies, why not employ someone with a proven track record of managing traffic, and get rid of those currently tryng to do it, who can't.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Nobody needs to have priority it can work perfectly well if you operate fair and organised traffic management, Sadly this season that's been missing.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Totally agree with you, but honestly, how much would it cost for the club to eat humble pie and aks the Police how they did it so well?

As for the eastbound, yes, agree 100%, but again, the solution cannot be that expensive. A few judiciously placed road signs which can be flipped on match days to direct cars into one lane, buses into the other, and a bit of traffic management at the top to help cars and buses merge. None of this is a unique situation, traffic has to be managed at venues all over the country, and by managing it you install safety, as well as improve journey times, and reduce polution. I'd have thought all those things would make it a no brainer for the club to deal with it professionally. For the amount of money the club has spent on staffing, and subsequent redundancies, why not employ someone with a proven track record of managing traffic, and get rid of those currently tryng to do it, who can't.

Mr Barber, I propose Superphil as head of Amex traffic management.

Wise words mate!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Slow-moving buses move forward from the bus stop, remaining in the left-hand lane, with nothing to overtake. If there is a bus in front of them, a bus driver will wait until that has moved off. Car drivers are not patient enough - they move out on to the fast lane, to overtake (at slow speed) any bus that is waiting at the bus stop. It is, of course, also illegal for cars to stop in the layby, because it's (a) a bus stop clearway and (b) part of the general clearway that applies to this whole stretch of the A27.

Its not the bus that's likely to be at fault in an accident, but the fast moving car not paying attention which veers left into the bus!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here