Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
comparison to the Nazis is inherently offending, there's no nice thing there. i dont know why we throw around so loosely.

Comparison to Nazis could only be construed as offensive if the offendee was not acting in a Nazi like manner.

If the offendee was acting in a Nazi like manner then perhaps the accusation is justified.

The Nazis and their behaviour should not be forgotten and any individual or group acting as such should be pointed out. Lest we forget.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Since when did offending become an offence?

Please feel free to be offended by anything I say, it's your prerogative, just don't be surprised if I don't give a toss.

Oh and can we stop confusing offence with outrage or disagreement.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Comparison to Nazis could only be construed as offensive if the offendee was not acting in a Nazi like manner.

If the offendee was acting in a Nazi like manner then perhaps the accusation is justified.

The Nazis and their behaviour should not be forgotten and any individual or group acting as such should be pointed out. Lest we forget.

Absolutely. If people are committing genocide and atrocities and waging war across continents they should quite rightly be called out on it.

If someone is being a stickler for the rules I think maybe they can expect to not be called a Nazi.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Since when did offending become an offence?

Please feel free to be offended by anything I say, it's your prerogative, just don't be surprised if I don't give a toss.

Oh and can we stop confusing offence with outrage or disagreement.

Where does feeling insulted fit with offense, outrage and disagreement?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Where does feeling insulted fit with offense, outrage and disagreement?

It sits on it's own as feeling insulted.

And I think you meant offence, not offense. I hope you don't feel insulted, offended or disgree with me.

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Absolutely. If people are committing genocide and atrocities and waging war across continents they should quite rightly be called out on it.

If someone is being a stickler for the rules I think maybe they can expect to not be called a Nazi.

It's the outrageous comparison that makes it obviously a joke. If he had told her more realistically that she was being a completely unreasonable jobsworth, then I could understand slightly more her taking offence.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's the outrageous comparison that makes it obviously a joke. If he had told her more realistically that she was being a completely unreasonable jobsworth, then I could understand slightly more her taking offence.

Whether it's 'obvious' or not is irrelevant really. What's obvious to you or I may not be obvious to others.

Let's play hypothetical - suppose this Council worker had been Jewish? Would the obviousness of the joke detracted from the effect it could have had?

EDIT - my point is, context and audience is crucial.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
is that was your bird does when you remove your prepubescent winkle from your lederhosen and request attention......:lolol:

And in English?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Come on [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION]. Please use the word banter, I’ll have a full-house on my Middle Aged Man Allowed Out For The Night Bingo card.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Come on [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION]. Please use the word banter, I’ll have a full-house on my Middle Aged Man Allowed Out For The Night Bingo card.

That's easy - go up to him in real life and comment on his sort's norks. Say they are like spaniel's ears. Once he has finished rolling around the floor, say something pithy about his mother. Bring out your top bantz. Again, pause for hilarity and then shake hands on the great banter.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Allowed out for the night / travelling half way around the world for a school reunion.......what a muncher you are.

Are you heavy breathing through your cum sock as you type or have you swallowed it......:D

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Can’t really see how it’s a generational thing. If someone, let’s say in the 80’s, over the phone or fax (that’s what you guys had back then, right?) called another person a nazi (or suggested they were acting like one) in a professional context, then there would have been a complaint, or some offence taken. Nazi jokes to strangers doing their job has never gone down well and probably won’t ever go down well.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Allowed out for the night / travelling half way around the world for a school reunion.......what a muncher you are.

Are you heavy breathing through your cum sock as you type or have you swallowed it......:D

How very strange to think because you spent £1500 it justifies you calling a young pub worker a stripper. Unbelievable how you or friends can find this amusing

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
for the record i didn't ask the **** to come and clear the table ....we spent about 1500 quid in there and were invited by the landlord to use his pub ...we were going to go to the beckett....anyway a collective GFYS to the lot of you , i dread to think what a boys night out is like with you lot...do you take a ouija board out with you ....would you like to hear about the time saved a dozen of sussex's finest from getting filled in in Camden because somebody touched the waitperson on the thigh... nah.....!! work in a pub , invite 30 plus blokes in for a piss up ....look after them ....simple. They have strippers in pubs where i live by the way you absolute bunch of goons....!!

Spot on. It really is everyone else. They've all got you completely wrong then. :cringe:

ts_diggingholes.jpg

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Judging by what you've written so far, did you travel from Middle Earth?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Whether it's 'obvious' or not is irrelevant really. What's obvious to you or I may not be obvious to others.

Let's play hypothetical - suppose this Council worker had been Jewish? Would the obviousness of the joke detracted from the effect it could have had?

EDIT - my point is, context and audience is crucial.

Suppose she wasn't Jewish, but her family had suffered huge loss because of the Nazis. :shrug:
My family did but I wouldn't take offence at the OP's comment. If she didn't find it obvious that he wasn't really comparing literally like for like the Nazis and Worthing Council, then she probably shouldn't be allowed to answer a phone without supervision from her nurse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You travelled all the way from Australia for a school reunion? That’s a bit desperate. Haven’t you made any new friends?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Thanks for your input Gents.

For the record, at 55 I'm clearly a dinosaur and out of touch, I apologised to the young lady, both in person and by email immediately after her line manager contacted me, ultimately I shouldn't have said what I said then again they were trying to postpone a funeral on some ludicrous pretext, and those are the people I will always put first.

For the record, I wouldn't have apologised....... Cant take a joke? not my problem.!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
yep....her telling me to get ****ed would have been great ....end of , not getting all indignant about it ,i have worked in pubs in UK , Australia & NZ.....believe me chaps , you boys clearly have led a very sheltered existence.

You got a daughter [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION]? That '20 something bint' is somebody's daughter too. She's just trying to make her way in the world, same as you are. Fair enough, working in a pub anywhere in the world you're going to encounter far more than your share of overt wankers than you would meet in, say, an office job. But you don't have to BE that wanker [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION], it's not compulsory, even in Oz. Hope you enjoyed the fireworks by the way. Welcome to 1970 :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here