Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Is there any footage of yesterday's dive? Really needs to cut that out particularly with the stick we like to give Zaha.

Not sure. I could clearly see it from the away end though despite it being at the other end of the pitch. We had a great angle. He knocked the ball past Azpilicueta then threw out his left leg so it made contact and went down. I was a bit surprised he dived as it looked like he might have got there.

A great decision by the ref BUT:

- Mount could have been booked for diving in the first minute. He also made a complete meal of the penalty challenge. Would he have made such a big deal if he had of been on a yellow?
- Alonso gets a yellow for leading with his elbow. A yellow! He then conceded a cynical foul when we were on the counter which could have easily have been a booking and then goes down in the box appealing for a pen. Ref tells him to get up. Was it a dive? Not seen it again but it looked it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Usual over the top knicker wetting from English fans about diving. Yes he went down easily both times but on both occassions he was anticipating contact, not going down for the sake of it. He got booked for it yesterday, the correct punishment, now move on. He’s young, he’ll learn to do it better next time hopefully.

More importantly, he showed again he is more than ready for this level. Really impressed with his upper body strength and confidence on the ball. Comfortably our best wing back or midfielder yesterday, not that that was hard.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Usual over the top knicker wetting from English fans about diving. Yes he went down easily both times but on both occassions he was anticipating contact, not going down for the sake of it. He got booked for it yesterday, the correct punishment, now move on. He’s young, he’ll learn to do it better next time hopefully.

More importantly, he showed again he is more than ready for this level. Really impressed with his upper body strength and confidence on the ball. Comfortably our best wing back or midfielder yesterday, not that that was hard.

bit of double standard here. When Wilf down the road takes a tumble most Albion fans are up in arms and quite rightly so as it's plain cheating. Very promising player but just needs to but this out!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
bit of double standard here. When Wilf down the road takes a tumble most Albion fans are up in arms and quite rightly so as it's plain cheating. Very promising player but just needs to but this out!

I tweeted something about the dive after the Newcastle game, a tweet that also included reference to how well Alzate had played.

Most of the responses that came back were either abusive towards me/NSC or defending Alzate.

I really don't get the hypocrisy. It's cheating whoever does it, and I genuinely think this scourge on the game only has a chance of being remedied if fans call out their own players for attempting to cheat.

As long as fans get all hysterical about others doing it, but then turn a blind eye to their own players, then it's just going to continue.

Alzate already has a name as a diver. From where we were in the ground, 7th row of the lower tier, it wasn't obvious if he had so I whipped out my phone and took to twitter where it was evident it had been a dive. More than that though, there were a whole load of tweets along the lines of "every time I see this Alzate play he dives".

Clearly it's a small sample size, but that makes two from two now.

Albion fans can't have a go at Zaha when one of our own is so flagrant.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015

True, big difference is that most BHA fans are disgusted by this. Palace fans support his diving and just cant see that his a cheat (think to be fair he is better than he used to be). I personally hate all forms if cheating, whoever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looks a decent player but whatever he does will be clouded by a reputation, that he'll struggle to shake off, for being a cheating **** if he doesn't cut it out immediately. He's not even very good at it - both of those he's been booked for were blatant - it looked an obvious dive from the upper tier of the Shed on Saturday, not a 'natural' fall at all and with VAR he's got no chance of getting away with it so it's pointless anyway. As soon as he went down me and junior both said 'dive'. Potter needs to have a strong word with the lad.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Thought he (and the rest of the team tbf) were outclassed in the first half by a very good Chelsea side.

Second half he looked much much better. His ability to pick a pass where it seemed like there was nothing on was very exciting.

He's going to be a fantastic player for us.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks a decent player but whatever he does will be clouded by a reputation, that he'll struggle to shake off, for being a cheating **** if he doesn't cut it out immediately. He's not even very good at it - both of those he's been booked for were blatant - it looked an obvious dive from the upper tier of the Shed on Saturday, not a 'natural' fall at all and with VAR he's got no chance of getting away with it so it's pointless anyway. As soon as he went down me and junior both said 'dive'. Potter needs to have a strong word with the lad.

He wasn't actually booked at Newcastle, although he should have been.

The penalty decision was VARed and, unsurprisingly, not given. I've already lost track of what VAR can and can't do in these situations, but I don't think it can result in a yellow card, which probably helped him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The penalty decision was VARed and, unsurprisingly, not given. I've already lost track of what VAR can and can't do in these situations, but I don't think it can result in a yellow card, which probably helped him.

VAR can't result in a yellow card. The list of things VAR checks is small, and not difficult to memorise.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yes...had in my head he got booked v Newcastle for some reason. Correct re VAR - can't award a yellow as a result of a review, only a straight red.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm 100% convinced he was booked v Chelsea solely because he wasn't booked at St James'.
Had it been t'other way round I reckon a case would have been made that the defenders knee impeded the holier than thou Big 6 attackers progress.

As for your earlier point I'm sure I was the only Albion fan who saw AK regularly throw himself to the floor Zahastylee.
Because every time I mentioned it I got shouted down.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

No double standards from me, you won’t find a post from me having a go at Zaha about diving. I find the pearl clutching about diving in this country laughable.

Football players cheat all the time and have always done so in this country and the fans go along with it. Deliberate fouls, cynical fouls, appealing for a penalty/free kick/throw in/goal kick etc when they know it’s not theirs, taking a yard or two on a free kick, trying to get players booked/sent off, it’s all the same.

Diving isn’t that common here, if it happens, the player gets booked and with the crappy VAR system we now have to endure, they will aways get booked. So job done, move on. The criticism he’s getting here is totally OTT.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has won 'Albion Performance Player of the Month'.

I'd imagine he's been waiting to pickup the keys from the moment, Brighton supporting, BG started laying into his abilities and basically calling him shitehouse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here