Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All HAIL David Burke!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
First 5 signings - one 1st XI player (Stockdale).
Last 6 signing - all 1st XI players (Bennett, Holla, Teixeira, Gardner, Baldock, Colunga).

Amazing turnaround.

And all since Sammi arrived as manager......Coincidence??? I think not, sure Burke's job is to sign off the deals and to that extent he deserves praise for doing his job...But what does all this action tell you about our lack of investment last season??? Last season was all about getting the dead wood out and clearing the decks. Poor old Garcia was never really given a chance, but fair play to him for what he achieved, with what he had(even if it was as dull as ditchwater)....This smacks of a whole new era, with Bloom backing Sammi, the same way he did Poyet a few years ago. Difference is Sammi doesn't seem the sort who likes the sound of his own voice, or gets off on appearing in front of a camera or in the newspapers....Exciting times ahead I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't see how he can do that, I can't imagine any players / agents / clubs would be very happy, they are all confidential negotiations. But yes, it would be very interesting to read.

You can't force someone to sign, who knows what Ward was thinking, but he must have given the impression that he wanted to sign, or we wouldn't have wasted our time. Maybe he used us to get Premier League football, who knows?

Maybe I'm more sympathetic to all this because I work in recruitment, and have first hand experience of how frustrating it is being constantly messed around by people who supposedly want to move jobs. You can't force people to do it, however hard you try, and you never know what their real intentions are until the deal is done. And doing it for professional footballers must be a hundred times worse.
Oh god and now we have to put up with those who have been ranting, raving, urinating, and spouting venomous poison for 3 months saying:-
'well I was a little concerned'.
or
'I thought we'd get there in the end, but it could have been handled better'.
or
'I'm really happy now'.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
:The Adams Family:

All our fans a lovely Gayers
Then Burke answered our prayers
He signed a dozen players

The Amex Family duh duh duh duh click click

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It just shows how many idiots there are on this board. The bed wetting this Summer has been absolutely pathetic, even worse than usual. I'd like to think they'd think "hmm, perhaps I was a little silly there", but I'm sure they won't, and we'll be back to the same old pathetic whining next Summer, as exactly the same situation unfolds again, just like it has every single Summer since we moved to the Amex and became a proper football club again.

Ernest, Mutts Nuts etc, how do you feel about things now? Silly? Stupid? Oh let me guess, it was actually a 'joke'.

Next summer? It will be January. Or Saturday if we don't beat Charlton. "Can't believe we've wasted our money on xxx"

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
First 5 signings - one 1st XI player (Stockdale).
Last 6 signing - all 1st XI players (Bennett, Holla, Teixeira, Gardner, Baldock, Colunga).

Amazing turnaround.

In fairness, we signed Texeira and Bennett ahead of McCourt. And I think that he, Hughes, Nzuzi and O'Grady will have a part to play this year. It's a squad game after all.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm sure there are a few Chairmen and CEOs who would love to do an expose on how football transfer deals work (or many more that fail). I suspect the whims of players and the leverage that players agents create would astound us. The Grabban and Ward sagas would just be the tip of the iceberg. I'm grateful that we have Bloom, Barber and Burke to do the wheeling and dealing - we won't be played for mugs and won't indulge in panic buying either.

I for one will enjoy the countdown as the transfer window closes, knowing that we have already completed our main business. If anything else happens now (or in the loan window) it will be a nice bonus.

Yes, I will now :albion2:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Amazing the amount of idiots judging the transfers on the base of nothing, 2 matches at most and like most INTELLIGANT people where we FINISH next May is what matters

Thats now the managers job, not Burkes.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
And all since Sammi arrived as manager......Coincidence??? I think not, sure Burke's job is to sign off the deals and to that extent he deserves praise for doing his job...But what does all this action tell you about our lack of investment last season??? Last season was all about getting the dead wood out and clearing the decks. Poor old Garcia was never really given a chance, but fair play to him for what he achieved, with what he had(even if it was as dull as ditchwater)....This smacks of a whole new era, with Bloom backing Sammi, the same way he did Poyet a few years ago. Difference is Sammi doesn't seem the sort who likes the sound of his own voice, or gets off on appearing in front of a camera or in the newspapers....Exciting times ahead I think.

when you say dead wood do you mean the 15m we have received in transfer fees

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
"Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting".
Joyce Meyer

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
when you say dead wood do you mean the 15m we have received in transfer fees

Bridcutt & Buckley were dead wood, along with Orlandi, Lopez, TK, Hoskins.....Surely you are not going to argue about Buckley and Bridcutt, when both admitted as much as they didn't want to be here or play for us anymore( or in Bridcutt's case, wrong frame of mind!!!!! ffs),,,,

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Bridcutt & Buckley were dead wood, along with Orlandi, Lopez, TK, Hoskins.....Surely you are not going to argue about Buckley and Bridcutt, when both admitted as much as they didn't want to be here or play for us anymore( or in Bridcutt's case, wrong frame of mind!!!!! ffs),,,,

Buckley will always be a legend in my eyes.Nothing can ever take away what joy he gave us on August 6th 2011.
His performance against Man Utd at the weekend only goes to prove what a good player he is.

Sooner or later the club need to stand up against players that want to leave & clubs who want to sign those players.

losing Ulloa was good business for the club getting 8-10m for a player we paid 2m for.

losing buckley for 2.5m & having to pay a 25% sell on clause to watford for a player we paid 1m for does not seem like good business.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes of course that would be preferable. But that's the way the system works because of the transfer window. It's the same every Summer. How many other Championship clubs do you think had their completed squads in place at the end of July? I'd wager none.

Think about it this way: if you are a club with aspirations of promotion to the Premier League, then the calibre of players you need to sign are ones that could potentially play at that level, yes? Now imagine you are a player who has the ability to play at Premier League level. Why would you sign for a Championship club in June or July? You wouldn't. If you had a chance of playing in the Premier League then you'd hold out for it until as late as possible, until you'd finally accepted that you needed to drop to Championship level this year. Which is why so many deals are done in the last week of the window.

The way people talk on here sometimes is like the club are sat around twiddling their thumbs thinking 'no need to worry now, we'll just get some players once the season starts'. It's an utterly ridiculous concept- people seem to think that to sign a player we call up the club on the day, make an offer, get it accepted and get him in. It takes months of negotiations to get that player, it doesn't all happen on the day! And the flurry of activity on deadline day is mainly clubs tying up deals that have been going on since the end of last season, not clubs just making spur of the moment purchases.

Until the transfer window system changes and shuts on the first day of the season, it will always be like this in the Championship.

This post should be a sticky.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Buckley will always be a legend in my eyes.Nothing can ever take away what joy he gave us on August 6th 2011.
His performance against Man Utd at the weekend only goes to prove what a good player he is.

Sooner or later the club need to stand up against players that want to leave & clubs who want to sign those players.

losing Ulloa was good business for the club getting 8-10m for a player we paid 2m for.

losing buckley for 2.5m & having to pay a 25% sell on clause to watford for a player we paid 1m for does not seem like good business.

You know what you get if you stand up (as you say)against players who want to leave???...Splits in the dressing room and unrest behind the scenes, equaling a team going nowhere fast. ....oh and Buckley is a petulant spoilt child....No better than Leon Knight, just more intelligent.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm starting to think the bedwetters are in fact the premature ejaculators among the fan base. Everything good has to happen in the first few moments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here