[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He's the new Solly/Stephens on here.

Gets ripped to shit for heading a ball that came off the nderside of the bar and crashing into Trossard who was in his space.

Has anyone ripped the shit out of COnnolly for his header?

AJ won't get up to speed as a random bit part player. There are bigger problems on the pitch and pitch side.

Erm, there’s an entire thread dedicated to treating him to shreds currently running???

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I feel technically he has the ability and is actually a good player however he is now so desperate to try and prove himself on his rare appearances it all goes completely pear shaped. Yesterday his cross later in the game was sublime but then you see him running around like a 7 year old kid in the play ground shouting give me the ball.

Sadly without a decent run in the team I don't think there's any chance he will make it and he is now not in a position to be picked regularly so a bit of an egg/chicken scenario. Sell him to the right team and watch him flourish.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I feel like Jahanbaksh is being used as a scapegoat by some here. Yes Jahanbaksh missed a header but moments before that he put it on a platter for Connolly who also missed an empty net.

Also don't forget he looked to be one of the liveliest players on the pitch first 15 min vs Leceister where he put Welbeck through with a perfectly weighted ball who let him down by scuffing it and also had a nice one time shot that was only kept out by a dramatic save.

Jahanbaksh is a player that needs to be given enough time on the pitch to show you his worth. If Welbeck and Connolly had put the above mentioned opportunities away then suddenly Jahanbaksh is a hero. He needs more playing time to create more of these opportunities and get more opportunities to put some away himself as he has a bullet of a shot Brighton fans haven't gotten to see enough of YET.

If Jahanbaksh continues to get playing time in the upcoming fixtures which I assume he will due to the busy schedule he will surely score/create more chances. And if he gets a couple then the floodgates will open. Before coming to Brighton he was banging them in and giving assists every week I know he's got it in him and I can feel like he's on the cusp.

Potter just better reward him with a starting spot/more playing time once he assists and gets on the score sheet, because that didn't happen last season when he performed around the same time as now. Which again goes back to the lack of playing time he's received under Potter which I see the main reason for his lack of goals and assists currently.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I'm inclined to agree with much of this. I just rewatched his opportunity at the end of the game and it wasn't quite as clearcut as it felt at the time. Ramsdale makes himself big and Ali J isn't quite tall enough to get over the top of it. If it had fallen to Welbeck it probably would have gone in as Danny's taller and could have got some downward force on the ball to head it below the bar. The rebound that fell to Ali J after it hit the bar probably would have been disallowed for handball.

And, like you said, if Welbeck (v Leicester) and Connolly yesterday had put away their chances, Ali J would have been hailed as providing two beautiful assists.

I'm not sure if it will come good for him with us, but I'd like to see Potter give him 4-5 games in a row in a front three to prove himself.

Also, what monumentally annoyed me yesterday was Trossard getting angry at Ali J for nicking the ball off his feet soon as he came on. Leandro, you had about one shot all game, so forgive Alireza if he thinks he might be able to create more than you! Argh!

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Doesn't he need a run of games? I mean he gets scant game time and usually, he's so desperate to do well, he tries too hard and f$%^s it up. He does have the ability and I want him to do well. Not sure he's suited to a struggling team mind you.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I feel like Jahanbaksh is being used as a scapegoat by some here. Yes Jahanbaksh missed a header but moments before that he put it on a platter for Connolly who also missed an empty net.

Also don't forget he looked to be one of the liveliest players on the pitch first 15 min vs Leceister where he put Welbeck through with a perfectly weighted ball who let him down by scuffing it and also had a nice one time shot that was only kept out by a dramatic save.

Jahanbaksh is a player that needs to be given enough time on the pitch to show you his worth. If Welbeck and Connolly had put the above mentioned opportunities away then suddenly Jahanbaksh is a hero. He needs more playing time to create more of these opportunities and get more opportunities to put some away himself as he has a bullet of a shot Brighton fans haven't gotten to see enough of YET.

If Jahanbaksh continues to get playing time in the upcoming fixtures which I assume he will due to the busy schedule he will surely score/create more chances. And if he gets a couple then the floodgates will open. Before coming to Brighton he was banging them in and giving assists every week I know he's got it in him and I can feel like he's on the cusp.

Potter just better reward him with a starting spot/more playing time once he assists and gets on the score sheet, because that didn't happen last season when he performed around the same time as now. Which again goes back to the lack of playing time he's received under Potter which I see the main reason for his lack of goals and assists currently.

Two managers have been watching him in training for two years now and neither have seen it fit to give him a regular start that is telling in itself. He has had plenty of time to show his worth. When he has played aside from the odd spark he has largely done nothing to force himself into regular contention.

We have heard all the arguments of ‘it always takes him at least a season to get going’ , ‘we are not playing him where he likes’ etc etc and yet here we are all this time later and still nothing to suggest he will feature regularly.

The step up from the league he was playing in is enormous and for me he has shown since signing he cannot make the step up. If you can’t force yourself into a regular start in a bottom 6 PL club then you have a problem.

To be fair to him he is not the only dud we have signed but the idea that a run of games and the goals suddenly start flowing is fantasy.

Seems a really top bloke and pro but his future lies away from Brighton and the PL

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well I still believe he has something to offer if given a decent run in the team. Probably delivered the best cross of the game yesterday which was wasted and previously laid it on a plate for welbs to fluff. Murray would love a provider like this

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Well I still believe he has something to offer if given a decent run in the team. Probably delivered the best cross of the game yesterday which was wasted and previously laid it on a plate for welbs to fluff. Murray would love a provider like this

Well they played together for two full seasons under two different managers and that didn't work out.

He's obviously a great guy and we're all desperate for him to do well which is why I think he gets more leeway and chances than a lot of players would but he's played just over 1,500 minutes for us now in 38 appearances in the Premier League contributing just 2 goals and 1 assist. He's not done enough, just never looks quite up to the standard.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well they played together for two full seasons under two different managers and that didn't work out.

He's obviously a great guy and we're all desperate for him to do well which is why I think he gets more leeway and chances than a lot of players would but he's played just over 1,500 minutes for us now in 38 appearances in the Premier League contributing just 2 goals and 1 assist. He's not done enough, just never looks quite up to the standard.

1500 minutes is 16 games . . . . therein lay part of the problem. how can you establish youself if you're a constant sub and in varying positions, usually not your favoured one.

this season he had a good game in and around the D against Leicester, got subbed for tactical reasons, and has looked good as an inside right . . . . he needs to start a few games and get a bit of a run.

I think he'd do better in a 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-3 , or sitting behind 2 strikers in a 3-4-3, but thats also Lallanas role.

it would be interesting to see him get a game up front with Welbeck, he looks like a better striker than Maupay or Connolly.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

No one wants AJ to succeed here as much as I do. Big fan of the guy as a person, as a pro. Has all the ingredients I like in a footballer, exciting, scores goals that set the imagination alight.

But I’m losing faith a little. He doesn’t deliver consistently. He’s been fairly involved in games this season by Potter, and aside from his appearances in the cup he hasn’t delivered.

I’ve been one of his biggest defenders here, but starting to reconsider. Would be delighted for him to prove everyone wrong, but this is elite football, one of the toughest leagues in the world, so I’m starting to wonder if this is a level above him.

In his defence, he’s not the only one under performing. Aside from Welbeck, all our forwards have been fairly woeful this season (Maupay, Connolly, Trossard).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What's frustrating is that for all of the dreadful football yesterday, Ali J is unlucky not to have walked away with an assist and a goal having been played from his strongest position. That would have shut up a few. Playing as a right winger, with a right back behind him and supporting him will get the best out of him. Given a chance to form a partnership with Lamptey, I think the team would really benefit.

I don't see it happening under this manager, though. He is determined to be seen as a visionary tactician rather than just play a formation to suit the players he has available to him. He seems obsessed with being able to change tactics frequently during games but we're a season and a third into it and it doesn't work. Either the idea is wrong, or the execution is. Prior to the return after lockdown earlier this year, Bissouma wasn't a regular in the team. All of a sudden he got played in his strongest position and he's thriving. I feel very sorry for Alzate who was settled earlier in the season where the team was functional but he found himself out of the picture. Gross has been given a few games in a new position, Lallana was there for Sheffield United. Ben White has been in midfield at times. All the changing and random team selections have not worked in our favour and as much as the media praise him, the results show that it is not working and at some point the narrative will and has to change.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s it for Ali j for a while.
The bench was shouting at him to get in position out wide yet he kept drifting inside.
Potter can be unforgiving of that kind of thing .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I feel technically he has the ability and is actually a good player however he is now so desperate to try and prove himself on his rare appearances it all goes completely pear shaped. Yesterday his cross later in the game was sublime but then you see him running around like a 7 year old kid in the play ground shouting give me the ball.

Sadly without a decent run in the team I don't think there's any chance he will make it and he is now not in a position to be picked regularly so a bit of an egg/chicken scenario. Sell him to the right team and watch him flourish.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Agree with this, but it's missing what's wrong with him, or why it's not working for him in the PL: he's too slow and lacks physicality. He's just never going to make it in the PL. We need to sell him in the January window, to recoup some of the outlay, so he can find a league that suits his (undoubted) skill set much better, and he gets some game time. We might even be able to invest the income on something we so patently need: a decent striker.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well we can’t call him anonymous, he makes and is involved in threatening things happening which may not end well. He gets the ball in the box, he shoots when he gets the chance and he misses sitters and makes some crap passes. I’d start him over Maupay and Connolly on current form, both of whom just miss sitters and make crap passes without contributing much else :shrug:

You can when he plays for 45 mins and shows up twice - pretty poor return. Great cross, unlucky with header

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Warren on Radio Sussex was raging about his getting in the way of all our other attacking players, going into the wrong places, giving the ball away, not tracking back and generally wondering why the hell Potter had put him in at half time.

Two games running then. WA highlighted his poor defensive work vs Leicester and he’s right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
That's quite a roundabout way of saying he gets in the way of the other attacking players!

Listening on the radio WA repeatedly said he needed to get wide and stretch the defence but alas he kept occupying space next to our players - he's basically feckin clueless and gets knocked off the ball far too easily IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports