Albion Update

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
The sentence about the "processes" involving the three doesn't sound good - nor does the bit about it being "reasonable in the circumstances". If there was any way they were going to stay, I think the language in Barber's statement would be a little different.

For instance, he could have said something like 'The discussions with Gus Poyet are continuing but we can't update you at this time." What was actually said sounds very much like they are continuing an official investigation into whatever they did and trying to agree a deal in which Gus's team and the club part company.
okay mate looks like hes going but we dont know when

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
If that's how long it takes then I don't really see an alternative. An alternative to kicking off the season with no manager I mean, not to Gully picking the team obviously. Not a single person on this board knows even 1% of the story as fact, so there is absolutely zero point in dishing out blame or setting timeframes. I have faith in Tony Bloom, which by association means I have faith in Paul Barber. If he needs more time then I trust there is a reason, and he's not just dragging it out.

Exactly, too many wankers on here that think they know more about running a business and a football club than a highly paid expert does.If what Paul Barber does wont fit into their little image of how a football club should be run, tough. He's here to stay, like it or not!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Consider this: if a senior employee in the organisation where you work had been suspended pending investigation, would you expect the CEO to email all staff, customers and suppliers updating them on the situation? Answer: no. So let's give credit where it is due to PB, he is doing far more than he needs to. Anyone who says it is a "cold" or "clinical" message clearly doesn't have the faintest idea that PB is doing what he must do to protect the club legally in the way he sets out this message - if he spouted out emotional transparent guff on the club website to appease a few people on NSC then he'd be setting the club up for a lawsuit - and then the Barber-doubters would attack him for being unprofessional. And neither do I understand why some people are so insistent that the statement must come from Tony B - the CEO runs the operation, not the Chairman, and in any case does anyone think for one second that TB did not have the opportunity to review this text before PB issued it? I'm afraid more patience is going to be required, frustrating as that may be, because PB and TB are demonstrating how to run a business, not how to respond to a fans' message board. And no, I'm not trolling, just pointing out reality. [*Awaits criticism*]

Nail. On. Head.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The silence from Bloom is only a confirmation he is behind Barber. There's no need for him to stop playing poker on his phone in his Carribean beach hut if he's happy with the situation.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think it's only you, everyone else seems to accept that he's doing his job. Why should Bloom need to issue a statement to explain what individual employees are employed to do?

It is not only his lordship. There has been a lot of expressions of concern over Mr Barber in recent weeks - justified or not, it would seem that his relationship with Poyet might have been crucial to events. Not sure if Bloom should make a statement directly about Mr Barber though, as presumably he is quite happy with whatever he is up to or he would intervene. I do agree that a short statement from TB would have been more reassuring than the one just issued, however.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Exactly, too many wankers on here that think they know more about running a business and a football club than a highly paid expert does.If what Paul Barber does wont fit into their little image of how a football club should be run, tough. He's here to stay, like it or not!

Is it more difficult to replace a good businessman or replace a good football manager?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't understand the need for Bloom to defend Barber. Isn't it obvious he has complete confidence in him? He gave him the job, supports his mayor decisions and is happy leaving the day to day running of the club in his hands.

If Bloom is unhappy with him, he will deal with him. Don't understand why many supporters feel that our owner needs to justify Barber's job based on rumours...

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
It is sad that the only thing I took from it was a grammatical error
What grammatical error? The only one I could see was your missing full stop.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Letting Barber get on with his job without interference does, in my view, effectively give the message that he has that faith. Why on earth raise the possibility that he ever doubted Barber by putting out a statement like that?

I agree .. The OP it seems is asking for the dreaded vote of confidence and we all know what seems to happen next

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The massive support that Tony Bloom has had from Albion supporters over the years is based not only on the fact that he's got the funds to have got us to where we are, but on the equally important fact that he is a FAN. Now is his chance to speak as a fan. All I'm saying is that a statement from him would go down well.

I'm not arguing that Barber is handling the situation incorrectly.

I like your last line get out! But do keep stirring the pot!!

Barber is Bloom's spokesperson on such club matters, and no doubt Barber's well put together email would have been OK'd by TB prior to sending. Therefore absolutely no need for TB to say anything to appease a very insignificant minority, and in fact it would look completely wrong if he did.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Pretty happy with that statement.

me too
and my opinion of Barber has changed a tad
statement could have been put out somewhat earlier though

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some people don't like Paul Barber. That is obvious. What is more clear though is that the only person who needs to like him is Tony Bloom. And his judgement is OK by me.

I genuinely wonder who some fans think they are. Demanding our owner make a statement justifying/making clear his confidence in one of his employees.

And all based on rumours and whispers.

Barber did not shit on a dressing room floor and he did not hold a metaphorial gun to his boss' head live on Sky Sports so why on earth people are getting all worried about him at the moment is beyond me.

First and foremost I would rather Bloom deal with the people who have actually be doing stuff wrong. Get us a new manager and get things moving.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Is it more difficult to replace a good businessman or replace a good football manager?

He's not just a good business man though is he? He's an expert in his field. I would imagine that there are around the same amount of chief executives in football as there are managers, so just as difficult to get the right man.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Stopped reading at the first line because of that shit analogy.

There's your criticism, thanks for playing.
Eyes closed. Hands covering ears. You have excellent debating skills. hertsseagull made an excellent point but you dismissed it without even know what he said. How do you manage to see the keyboard with your head up there?

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
The only question I raise is that this seemingly interminable disciplinary process is taking so long, that it can only affect the pre-season, the transfer strategy, and the start of the new league season. To suggest (as some posters have) that we can limp into the season without any managerial staff on the playing side at all is simply ludicrous. I've no doubt that the club are fully aware of this. There are many things the club could carry on for a short time without - for instance a sponsor - a hospitality provider - a programme printer - a pie provider - perhaps even a CEO. But to carry on without any senior coaching staff, and without a full complement of quality players is patently ridiculous. And don't tell me that either Gus Poyet or any new manager would be happy to be told "here are the new players we've got for you while nobody was in proper control of the playing side". The real business is a club that plays football - not sells pies or puts old shirts on e-bay - and all of the supporters whether old or new will only be attracted in big numbers by what the playing side has to offer. If we miss the strength of preparation for the season this could have a far reaching effect on income, and by inference on cost control. Gus had to wait last year until the very last moment to bring in Hammond, Dobbie, Lopez and Orlandi, and although by varying degrees they were successful (Dobbie excluded), a team finishing 4th should be aiming higher and preparing better in my view. I really hope the club is not painting itself into a corner.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There was talk last year of an away season ticket coming into play - goodness knows how that would work though

It would work like a home season ticket , the club estimates the cost of ticket prices at away grounds and comes up with a figure which you pay and you're guaranteed a ticket for all the away league games. They could incentivise the scheme by adding on loyalty points to members to give them priority for away cup games.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
I don't agree that Bloom needs to make clear his confidence in Paul Barber.

But I do think Barber could do himself a favour by not being so corporate about his updates etc. Fans don't need to hear all the bullshit about how far we have come etc and how we have increased attention from outside the area. We know that. Just cut the crap and tell us what we need to know.

If his update just dealt with poogate and the reasurances over pre season it would be fine.

Ideally, a couple of lines from Bloom saying, basically, "Chill, I got this..." would be much more welcome. Would it make THAT much of a difference? Probably not. But it would put a few anxious minds at rest so probably worth the five minutes it would take to know up that press release...

I'd agree if the intended audience were only NSC regulars, but clearly it's (mainly) good PR spin intended to 1) steady the ship in the eyes of the media 2) bolster the image of club generally, as (still) going somewhere.....

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Consider this: if a senior employee in the organisation where you work had been suspended pending investigation, would you expect the CEO to email all staff, customers and suppliers updating them on the situation? Answer: no. So let's give credit where it is due to PB, he is doing far more than he needs to. Anyone who says it is a "cold" or "clinical" message clearly doesn't have the faintest idea that PB is doing what he must do to protect the club legally in the way he sets out this message - if he spouted out emotional transparent guff on the club website to appease a few people on NSC then he'd be setting the club up for a lawsuit - and then the Barber-doubters would attack him for being unprofessional. And neither do I understand why some people are so insistent that the statement must come from Tony B - the CEO runs the operation, not the Chairman, and in any case does anyone think for one second that TB did not have the opportunity to review this text before PB issued it? I'm afraid more patience is going to be required, frustrating as that may be, because PB and TB are demonstrating how to run a business, not how to respond to a fans' message board. And no, I'm not trolling, just pointing out reality. [*Awaits criticism*]

All very true as it affects most companies, where disciplinary procedures can be carried out at a leisurely pace while Roger from marketing fills in for suspended employees.

I'd venture to suggest, however, that football clubs are slightly different in a number of ways. This is a key time in the business year for clubs. The suspended employees hold positions of great responsibility. They also determine a key aspect of the company - how the entire reason for the existence of the company (ie the first team) performs. The customer base is keenly interested in what happens to these employees and the identiity of their possible replacements.

We're not talking about a bakery, a builder's merchant or even a multi-national credit card company. We're talking about something we have an emotional investment in.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Surely Paul Barber's continued employment is all the evidence you need that Tony Bloom has confidence in him?

Agree this entirely. Now I've seen this update from Barber I am 100% convinced he's not going anywhere. If Bloom had come out with something I'd see it as potentially sidelining Barber and taking matters in to his own hands ... not what a Chairman does unless the whole thing has fallen apart.

Yes it would be nice to hear from Bloom but it would also be counter productive and cause more speculation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports