Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Update

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
2 weeks since suspension and nothing has happened? I Remember when Gus was harping on about how difficult it will be being in the play-offs and not having enough time to prepare. Now two weeks have passed since he's been suspended In which he obviously hasn't prepared anything. As each day passes I'm growing more and more concerned that we will not be ready for next season and it will cost us.

I think the statement was fine, lots of people tend to have a negative reactiom to everything barber does. Agree with the above though. Accepting the confidential side of this two weeks down and no idea how much longer. What is it, just under 3 weeks till pre-season? Scouting network in place, but no player will sign with no manager in place. Need to get this done.

Dec 29, 2011
Could you enlighten us on the nature of the grammatical error? If it's just a superfluous comma (which is all that I can see that might possibly be wrong with the sentence) it's hardly a major gaffe, and it is indeed sad that you feel compelled to comment on it, not least because the statement as a whole is a pretty well-written and helpful document (compared with much of the anodyne corporate waffle that many companies/organisations put out these days).

Barber? Is that you?

Why? What's he going to say that Paul Barber can't?

I find it a bit ridiculous that Paul Barber has to take the time to write stuff like this just to appease idiots who can't understand that stuff like this takes time. There is no quick answer, and if there was it certainly can't be published by the club. Just let them get on with it, and if it takes another week/month/three months then so be it.
I'm not expecting more information to come from Tony Bloom. A reassuring confirmation that he is leading the Club through this mess would be enough. There comes a time when leadership needs to be shown. This is one of those moments.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think the statement was fine, lots of people tend to have a negative reactiom to everything barber does. Agree with the above though. Accepting the confidential side of this two weeks down and no idea how much longer. What is it, just under 3 weeks till pre-season? Scouting network in place, but no player will sign with no manager in place. Need to get this done.

Obviously there was a need to make a statement and at least poogate was a lot less thn people imagined I wud hav thought ..I share yur concern re time ..but perhaps one thing is said in public and another behind the scenes

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
It's extremely unlikely that "nothing has happened".
As Barber's statement makes clear, due process in such cases takes as long as it takes, and he's (rightly) not going to prejudice the process by discussing it in public until it's finished. Doesn't imply that nothing is happening. From my own experience of disciplinary cases in employment, I would guess that a lot is happening.

Nothing has happened was probably a poor choice of words for some of you lot.
Nothing has been resolved would have been better. Of course things are going on but my point is that we will not be ready for next season at this rate and it is worrying.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hypothetically, if Gus was firmly on board and hadn't reacted "post-Palace" the way he did then would Spanish Dave and El-Abd still be stalling on their new contract offers? I think not.

El-Abd has just missed out on the Egypt squad because he's not getting first-team football, Spanish Dave is the sort of utility player that a new manager might marginalise. If they get decent offers they might be off - I think both are important to the club's challenge next season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hypothetically, if Gus was firmly on board and hadn't reacted "post-Palace" the way he did then would Spanish Dave and El-Abd still be stalling on their new contract offers? I think not.

El-Abd has just missed out on the Egypt squad because he's not getting first-team football, Spanish Dave is the sort of utility player that a new manager might marginalise. If they get decent offers they might be off - I think both are important to the club's challenge next season.

Stalling?

Or do you mean 'on holiday'?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I find it a bit ridiculous that Paul Barber has to take the time to write stuff like this just to appease idiots who can't understand that stuff like this takes time. There is no quick answer, and if there was it certainly can't be published by the club. Just let them get on with it, and if it takes another week/month/three months then so be it.

Three months? Yes, kicking off the new season with no manager, assistant or first team coach would be ideal wouldn't it? Who would you have pick the team? Gully?

hertsseagull

hertsseagull
May 15, 2011
Consider this: if a senior employee in the organisation where you work had been suspended pending investigation, would you expect the CEO to email all staff, customers and suppliers updating them on the situation? Answer: no. So let's give credit where it is due to PB, he is doing far more than he needs to. Anyone who says it is a "cold" or "clinical" message clearly doesn't have the faintest idea that PB is doing what he must do to protect the club legally in the way he sets out this message - if he spouted out emotional transparent guff on the club website to appease a few people on NSC then he'd be setting the club up for a lawsuit - and then the Barber-doubters would attack him for being unprofessional. And neither do I understand why some people are so insistent that the statement must come from Tony B - the CEO runs the operation, not the Chairman, and in any case does anyone think for one second that TB did not have the opportunity to review this text before PB issued it? I'm afraid more patience is going to be required, frustrating as that may be, because PB and TB are demonstrating how to run a business, not how to respond to a fans' message board. And no, I'm not trolling, just pointing out reality. [*Awaits criticism*]

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Absolutely this.
Sorting out a disciplinary/contractual matter among senior staff like this, is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect a CEO (rather than Chairman) to be leading on. Additionally, there's no evidence for the implication on several of the posts on here that just because it isn't yet sorted means that it's not being treated with a sense of urgency. I'm sure that Barber (and Bloom) are well aware that it needs to reach a conclusion as quickly as possible, and are doing whatever they can to get to that point, while still going through due process.
I'm also sure that it isn't helping to speed up the process of reaching a settlement, if one or more of the parties in a disciplinary discussion (or their lawyers) are able to claim that prejudicial information is circulating about them in the public domain; and that's one reason why Barber's had to take the time to get this point over.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Consider this: if a senior employee in the organisation where you work had been suspended pending investigation, would you expect the CEO to email all staff, customers and suppliers updating them on the situation? Answer: no. So let's give credit where it is due to PB, he is doing far more than he needs to. Anyone who says it is a "cold" or "clinical" message clearly doesn't have the faintest idea that PB is doing what he must do to protect the club legally in the way he sets out this message - if he spouted out emotional transparent guff on the club website to appease a few people on NSC then he'd be setting the club up for a lawsuit - and then the Barber-doubters would attack him for being unprofessional. And neither do I understand why some people are so insistent that the statement must come from Tony B - the CEO runs the operation, not the Chairman, and in any case does anyone think for one second that TB did not have the opportunity to review this text before PB issued it? I'm afraid more patience is going to be required, frustrating as that may be, because PB and TB are demonstrating how to run a business, not how to respond to a fans' message board. And no, I'm not trolling, just pointing out reality. [*Awaits criticism*]

Stopped reading at the first line because of that shit analogy.

There's your criticism, thanks for playing.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Three months? Yes, kicking off the new season with no manager, assistant or first team coach would be ideal wouldn't it? Who would you have pick the team? Gully?

This

Hardly the same situation as a 9 to 5 job where sorting out suspensions can take ages. We need to get this done and dusted. I wonder if Gully has a plan b though?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
At the risk of being flamed: this!

Paul Barber is employed to run the business-side of the club. Inevitably that means that he could come across as cold. My interpretation is that he's simply reporting whatever facts and news as he can in language that protects the club from any comeback. We all complain/comment/laugh when we see other clubs behaving naively or airing all their dirty linen in public. IMO, we should be glad and, yes, proud that our club wishes to be seen to be running the business side of the club in a professional manner.

*Awaits flaming with a resigned shrug of the shoulders*

Agreed totally:amex:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
No update from the Club - gets flamed for lack of communication

Update from the Club - gets flamed for not enough information

Unbelievable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here