Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Update

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
There's currently a good article on the seagulls website
Outlines what is happening behind the scenes and having read it shows that the club are still working hard to set us up for next season and the future

Cant say fairer than this!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
'apply finishing touches to a new club membership scheme'
What's that about then?

Probably similar to what they've got at Spurs.

It's just another money making scheme. Pay £40ish a year for a 'gold membership', you'll probably get a DVD and priority on tickets, aimed at those who aren't STH's. That's my bet.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Yes, and no.

Yes - a corporate response, but no, it doesn't fill me with much glee. Barber just always comes across as so cold and clinical.

What else can he do though? They are still going through the suspension inquiry - which requires absolute professionalism and transparency on the clubs behalf - otherwise they could end up in a costly legal fight. There's also been wild speculation here and elsewhere which needs to be quashed.

In the large majority of cases an employer/government department wouldn't give any comment until a decision has been made, but due to the unique nature of football fans having a large emotional attachment to the club (company) - an update has to be given in order to keep them all on board, spending money and not writing absolute guff on message boards like this one.

So - send out an email, update on the thing you can update on (poogate) and remind everyone of the processes involved. Also - he's quite right to note the thing about having a break. I work in sports media, mainly football, and for the next couple of weeks it all calms down after being very hectic. It picks up again very soon. Most of the club are probably doing the same...

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
"Numerous club employees and contractors need access to the tunnel area of our stadium to do their jobs."

Unfortunate choice of words.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It is sad that the only thing I took from it was a grammatical error

Could you enlighten us on the nature of the grammatical error? If it's just a superfluous comma (which is all that I can see that might possibly be wrong with the sentence) it's hardly a major gaffe, and it is indeed sad that you feel compelled to comment on it, not least because the statement as a whole is a pretty well-written and helpful document (compared with much of the anodyne corporate waffle that many companies/organisations put out these days).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yatta, yatta, yatta - doesn't tell us anything. Poogate etc etc. I think most of the statement is inconsequential. The key statement was the final paragraph:

"Finally, with Financial Fair Play rules in mind, we must continue to look for ways of reducing our operational cost base to ensure our club is as efficient as possible and to maximise our football budget for the season ahead."

Here we are again - that word "Budget". As a fan all I know is that Gus's beef is about our perceived lack of budget, and here's is Barber ending two and a half weeks of silence with a final word about "reducing our operational cost base". Worrying stuff.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
2 weeks since suspension and nothing has happened? I Remember when Gus was harping on about how difficult it will be being in the play-offs and not having enough time to prepare. Now two weeks have passed since he's been suspended In which he obviously hasn't prepared anything. As each day passes I'm growing more and more concerned that we will not be ready for next season and it will cost us.

Where does this little nugget come from?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Credit where credit is due, I thought that was a very good update. Its clear Barber is trying to give as much information on things behind the scenes as he is able to and that's all we can ask for IMO

At the risk of being flamed: this!

Paul Barber is employed to run the business-side of the club. Inevitably that means that he could come across as cold. My interpretation is that he's simply reporting whatever facts and news as he can in language that protects the club from any comeback. We all complain/comment/laugh when we see other clubs behaving naively or airing all their dirty linen in public. IMO, we should be glad and, yes, proud that our club wishes to be seen to be running the business side of the club in a professional manner.

*Awaits flaming with a resigned shrug of the shoulders*

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
2 weeks since suspension and nothing has happened?

It's extremely unlikely that "nothing has happened".
As Barber's statement makes clear, due process in such cases takes as long as it takes, and he's (rightly) not going to prejudice the process by discussing it in public until it's finished. Doesn't imply that nothing is happening. From my own experience of disciplinary cases in employment, I would guess that a lot is happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here