Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] albion unfulfilled talents

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Four Four Two magazine used to have a regular feature on promising young players to watch out for - they may still be doing it for all I know. The feature was called 'The Boy's a bit Special' I think, or something like that, and spotlighted one player each month.

Nicky Rust and Kevin McGarrigle both featured, and I think Peter Smith may have done too .......... hmmm.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Not exactly Barca-bound, but I always rated Paul Wood. Thought his career would really take off when he joined Sheff Utd....instead it nose-dived. Think he picked up a nasty injury (knee?) Anyone remember?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Jake Robinson... Ha ha do me a favour. Massively over hyped by many on here.

Leon Knight is a much better shout for a player with genuine ability to cut it at high level but whose attitude simply got in the way. Repeatedly.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
how about this chap? Baring injury, would surely have been a regular in the premier league.

Too subtle for many on here I suspect. Given Villa paid good money for him and Gareth Barry was thrown in as a makeweight in the deal, I have to agree with you on this one.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Sebastian Carole... Jake Robinson... Joe Gatting... Kazenga (Love him but he should really have been linked with decent mid-table prem teams by now)

And also that Irish striker we signed from the Arsenal Youth Team... can't remember his name but I thought he would have gone on to bigger and better things. Think he ended up at Coventry

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Too subtle for many on here I suspect. Given Villa paid good money for him and Gareth Barry was thrown in as a makeweight in the deal, I have to agree with you on this one.

Yep. at the time the chat was that he would go on to play for England. As it is, Barry has gone on to do very well in the prem. He could go on to make the 2nd most prem appearances of all time. That's a pretty big achievement.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Yep. at the time the chat was that he would go on to play for England. As it is, Barry has gone on to do very well in the prem. He could go on to make the 2nd most prem appearances of all time. That's a pretty big achievement.

Rate he's going he could even make it to 1st! Crazy to think he's still only 33.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Unless he learns to do more than just stand on his right foot I think Solly March could end up getting added to this list. God he's frustrating to watch at times!!

How odd, you would have thought a name like Solly March is quite rare, but clearly you know another one.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can't believe no-one else has said it, but the greatest talent I've seen for the Albion (other than Vicente) was Peter Ward, and if playing for Cleveland Force in an indoor soccer league before his 30th birthday doesn't represent "unfulfilled" to a staggering degree, then I've misunderstood the question.

Whenever Brian Clough is mentioned - and in so many ways I did love Cloughie - my first reaction is always "he completely RUINED Wardy."

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I can't believe no-one else has said it, but the greatest talent I've seen for the Albion (other than Vicente) was Peter Ward, and if playing for Cleveland Force in an indoor soccer league before his 30th birthday doesn't represent "unfulfilled" to a staggering degree, then I've misunderstood the question.

Whenever Brian Clough is mentioned - and in so many ways I did love Cloughie - my first reaction is always "he completely RUINED Wardy."

I can see your point but considering his many achievements Wardy could never be described as unfulfilled.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Not sure I get that. PW was excellent beyond words in the late 70s at Div 3 onwards for BHA. Loved every minute but Mark Lawrenson was clearly top league talent and did not disappoint when given the chance. Wardy, not sure if he ever was TOP class.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can see your point but considering his many achievements Wardy could never be described as unfulfilled.

At 25, he left us for the European Cup winners, in the days when squads were small enough, that you were never very far from the side. About 10 games a year for them over the next 3 years, and then off to America (and Canada?). INDOOR football for 3 years from 29-32, in CLEVELAND. He was so much better than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here