Albion interested in Cardiff Striker Joe Mason

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Indeed.

Thank GOD someone actually understands.

How can you HONESTLY believe these are his signings. That these were people HE targetted. Of course they wern't.

But again, if they do a job then I don't care. David Burke could be a genius at recruitment.
Absolutely agree. I will be over the moon if these recruits flourish, I wouldn't be a fan of I didn't. I do however fail to get v excited about Oscar picking from Burkes list of availables. There is very little excitement in Mason or Obika for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well it was always likely to happen wasn't it? Oscar is clearly his own man, and with his own ideas. The likes of the three B's Bridcutt, Buckley and Barnes were all players brought to the club by Gus, and still admired by Gus. Oscar perfectly understandably wants to put his mark on the squad by bringing in his own players.

It's time to move on folks.

Although I would suggest the likes of Conway (welsh club), Mason (welsh club) and Obika (Yeovil, Jones' former club) are very much Nathan Jones signings, not Oscar. Not that there's any problem with that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Who said, or pretended they are 'his signings' and why do they need to be 'his signings'.

A lot of people seemed upset when I said they wern't his signings.

You seem to be making an arguement where, in fact, you completely backup what I said originally.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'd rather keep Barnes to be honest, not saying Mason is that bad, just personal preference.

Can we not have Nicky Maynard instead, please Cardiff?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A lot of people seemed upset when I said they wern't his signings.

You seem to be making an arguement where, in fact, you completely backup what I said originally.

They are his signings, as in he OK'd them. But if you mean, did Oscar sit through hours of football footage from various reserve games etc, and identify them as targets, its highly unlikely.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Who said, or pretended they are 'his signings' and why do they need to be 'his signings'.

A bunch of un-known Barca or Barca B youngsters, are going to be extremely risky for the club. Foreign country, foreign language, have to settle into a hotel, then move into a house/flat whatever, and try and perform in an intense league to gain promotion.

Nobody is saying that his signings can only be Barcelona kids on loan, but it would be nice to see a signing that warrants a bit of excitement and isn't the best of a bad bunch.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
He may have heard of him but you can't honestly tell me he had the name "andrews" on his list of players when asked who interests him.

People seem very defensive of something thats not even a criticism. Burke admitted himself that they target the players. Especially in a summer where OG came in very late, he was never going to choose his own players.

We went for bodies, and bodies which we knew we could get in realitevely easy. See Leroy.

I think you're right to a degree - Oscar probably wouldn't have walked in and said "get me Keith Andrews and Leroy Lita". I think it's plausible though that they would have been on a list of players put together collectively by him and the scouting team at the club, who then sat down together with Burke and went down the list deciding who was available/affordable. That's how it works now. He would sign off on every single player we sign, even if he may not have specifically named X player as a vital target.

The Secret Footballer tweeted a column this week about 'The List' - a constantly changing shortlist of 5 players for each and every first team position, in the event that for whatever reason we had to go out and find a player. He said every single club has their own list, and as a player's circumstances change he may move up or down the list, or be removed altogether. Lita probably wasn't our no1 striker choice, but for budget or availability reasons we'd eliminated nos 1 & 2 so we moved for him when the moment came where we were desperate for a forward.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
They are his signings, as in he OK'd them. But if you mean, did Oscar sit through hours of football footage from various reserve games etc, and identify them as targets, its highly unlikely.

Yes, we all know Oscar gets the final say, but that's not say he particularly wanted that player. If he needs a striker and is given a list of 5 crap ones to choose from what is he do? He has to pick one, which does mean he said yes but doesn't mean he wanted that player.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Nobody is saying that his signings can only be Barcelona kids on loan, but it would be nice to see a signing that warrants a bit of excitement and isn't the best of a bad bunch.

I'm actually quite excited by Obika. And Mason seems to tick all the Barnes void boxes. Having Conway permanently I'm particularly excited about.

I like the fact that Conway knows how to play with Mason too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/15346240.stm

Cardiff were the better team in possession, with Don Cowie, Craig Conway and Mason linking well in a 4-3-3 formation.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm actually quite excited by Obika. And Mason seems to tick all the Barnes void boxes. Having Conway permanently I'm particularly excited about.

I like the fact that Conway knows how to play with Mason too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/15346240.stm

Cardiff were the better team in possession, with Don Cowie, Craig Conway and Mason linking well in a 4-3-3 formation.

As you may have guessed, I'm thoroughly uninspired by Obika and Mason. Bringing Conway back does excite me though, we akready know he can play and has plenty of experience of performing in this division. The other 2? Not so much.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think what MejonaNO12 is saying is that the players we're signing are ones publicly available for loan/transfers, rather than players that aren't necessarily 'up for sale', but we have targeted because Oscar specifically wants that player i.e. what Burnley are doing with Barnes.

I am sure Oscar knew who Keith Andrews and Leroy Lita were before he joined, but they clearly aren't players he was banging on Tony Bloom's (or David Burke's) door demanding we pull out all the stops to get

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Anyone else actually enjoying this transfer window ?

Suggests to me OG wants to freshen things up a bit and wants to bring in players more suited to his style of football.

Bring it on.
YES YES YES.

I'm with you on that one. I've no doubt our squad will end up stronger at mid night on 31st Jan. (or whenever it is)

Bridcutt - Class, shame to lose but we have more than enough back up
Buckley - Class on his day. No where near consistant enough, and with Conway and Solly March will have more than enough there
Barnes - Give it a month and everyone will have forgotton about him

If we sell those and bring no one else in, I';d be gutted. But I'm fairly certain that will not be the case

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think what MejonaNO12 is saying is that the players we're signing are ones publicly available for loan/transfers, rather than players that aren't necessarily 'up for sale', but we have targeted because Oscar specifically wants that player i.e. what Burnley are doing with Barnes.

I am sure Oscar knew who Keith Andrews and Leroy Lita were before he joined, but they clearly aren't players he was banging on Tony Bloom's (or David Burke's) door demanding we pull out all the stops to get

Bingo. We're picking off of others shit lists. Whilst everyone else pick who they want.

shaunslats

Mar 6, 2013
Magrathea
I like the sound of this. get Mason in permanently, not a loan and also use the money from Barnes to get Conway back. sad to see Barnes go.
Also no need to replace Bridcutt so a bit of cash in the attic for the summer.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Mason is very ordinary but a better bet than Conway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports