Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion chairman ready to spend to deliver Premier League dream....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Back in 2010/11 season if I remember correctly, please feel free to tell me otherwise, wasn't there talk of this magic '5 year plan'? If so, our Tone is putting his money where his plan is!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Back in 2010/11 season if I remember correctly, please feel free to tell me otherwise, wasn't there talk of this magic '5 year plan'? If so, our Tone is putting his money where his plan is!
FFP and increased Parachute Payments came in after that plan and sank it.

Maybe it has been rescued.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, I recall this as well. Last year when many posts were speculating as to what would happen this year, there were comments to the effect that membership of the 1901 Club was up for grabs/renewal at the end of this season, and I imagine that, quite understandably, the club would not want this cash cow to be compromised. Promotion to the Promised Land, and perhaps an expectation given the club's infrastructure, that we would stay there for the foreseeable future, would see to a healthy membership. I am sure that this alone would not constitute the 5 Year Plan, but presumably would be an important ingredient.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sounds like we are definitely going for it! Gonna be an exciting second half of the season!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How much can we spend given FFP?

We can make losses of 13m over the season - excluding investments such as construction and depreciation of the stadium and training facilities. Last year the FFP limit was 6m, I think, and we seem to have passed that. So in theory, if Tony is feeling generous and/or prepared to take a risk, we can shell out 7m more than last year, assuming similar income. However, take into account that this will be a combination of wages and contract (transfer fee) amortisation.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Do we throw our FFP principles and ignore our finger pointing of others from recent years out the window in order to grasp success ourselves?

You bloody bet we should.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of my main hopes for the January window is that Man U sign a decent bloody striker or 2

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do we throw our FFP principles and ignore our finger pointing of others from recent years out the window in order to grasp success ourselves?

You bloody bet we should.

To be honest I am encouraged to see the majority of posters on here are being prudent with Tone's money and leaning towards the side of caution. Compared to many a clubs supporters that want to spend their clubs money big, I think experience leaves most supporters of this club using a little more savvy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With CH in charge and TB backing him, I am pretty confident we'll get what we need in terms of reinforcements. Exciting times - so could we maybe not have a massive binfest if we do happen to lose on Saturday?

........No, thought not.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
If our Tone was to purchase a player for £9m on a four year contract, then the fee is charged to the accounts over that period, which is £2.25m per year. Add to that the new players probable year one wages and bonuses of £1.15m (£22k per week) and you have a cost of £3.4m in year one. contrast that against the prize money for finishing high up, and the future riches of the top division, and it becomes a relatively small factor in the greater scheme of all things FFP. It is possible to bring in a blockbuster without killing your accounts, but you really only have one or two years, max three, to hit the jackpot, before it all begins to look a bit bleak. I guess Tony knows all about raising, or what in this instance he calls strengthening an already strong position.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I look forward to seeing the following:

- new LB (initially start and then be understudy/contend with Bong)
- Another decent Mid - Bridcutt been touted - could be possible as we know what he can do, it's whether Bridders head is in the right place and whether he can turn around the fans criticism like Hammond did.
- Another winger - VLP/Marshall or another
- Another striker - Even if we keep Wilson I would still like another striker in case of injury/loss of form - or we hope Manu finally turns up.

I guess a lot will depend on the expected fitness of Baldock, Rosenior, Lua Lua and Bong. They could all be back by end of Jan but if not I hope we have back up plan.

I expect a couple of early door signings then depending on injuries potentially a couple more towards the end of Jan

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Good news for Albion fans :albion2:
Any similarities between Tony Blooming marvellous & Lewis Drunk?
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,204
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,198

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If our Tone was to purchase a player for £9m on a four year contract, then the fee is charged to the accounts over that period, which is £2.25m per year. Add to that the new players probable year one wages and bonuses of £1.15m (£22k per week) and you have a cost of £3.4m in year one. contrast that against the prize money for finishing high up, and the future riches of the top division, and it becomes a relatively small factor in the greater scheme of all things FFP. It is possible to bring in a blockbuster without killing your accounts, but you really only have one or two years, max three, to hit the jackpot, before it all begins to look a bit bleak. I guess Tony knows all about raising, or what in this instance he calls strengthening an already strong position.

That's all very exact for a hypothetical signing :rock:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Everything depends on the deal, as I imagine it does for TB. Loans with an option to buy if we're promoted, whatever. Reading have been heavily criticised for the Vydra loan signing at an exorbitant fee, but I'd have no problems with it if our Tone didn't. Speculate to accumulate but don't land yourself with an expensive liability if it all goes wrong.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Everything depends on the deal, as I imagine it does for TB. Loans with an option to buy if we're promoted, whatever. Reading have been heavily criticised for the Vydra loan signing at an exorbitant fee, but I'd have no problems with it if our Tone didn't. Speculate to accumulate but don't land yourself with an expensive liability if it all goes wrong.

Any chairman worth an ounce of salt would write in promotion and relegation clauses and not leave the club with a proverbial white elephant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here