Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Whilst I broadly agree, those who held off on travel plans until they knew they had a ticket, or were guaranteed to get a ticket, will find there may not be as many options as they hoped, at least inexpensive ones, and that could see some of those who expected to travel deciding not to do so.
Fair point, I could see that happening. I feel for anyone who didn't / couldn't book travel and accom early.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
So whats the deal with getting seats with friends? I just missed top tier by 5 points, yet the fella I sit with has just scraped top tier. How are people expected to get seats with friends in this scenario?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
So whats the deal with getting seats with friends? I just missed top tier by 5 points, yet the fella I sit with has just scraped top tier. How are people expected to get seats with friends in this scenario?
You decide to wait until you are all I the same tier window. A risky strategy for Ajax I'd imagine but one I suspect a few will take.

Reactions: PoG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is sit where you like.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
You’ll be lucky to get any seat in tier 2, can forget about trying to get specific ones next to people etc

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He either waits for you and tries to buy in Tier 2, with the risk he misses out, or he buys in Tier 1 and you try to get as close as you can. He could maximise the chances of this by choosing his ticket in an unpopular area, likely to one side right at the back.

This is absolutely the right way to do it. We all know someone in Tier 1 which is why the club can't allow those in Tier 1 to have a guest buy at the same time.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
He either waits for you and tries to buy in Tier 2, with the risk he misses out, or he buys in Tier 1 and you try to get as close as you can. He could maximise the chances of this by choosing his ticket in an unpopular area, likely to one side right at the back.

This is absolutely the right way to do it. We all know someone in Tier 1 which is why the club can't allow those in Tier 1 to have a guest buy at the same time.
I get what youre saying but I'm not sure im fully on board there, if you tend to buy with the same people/person for most away games it feels like there should be some movement. You plus one in certain scenarios would be better (especially when a few mere points of the top tier), obivously I get policing that wouldnt be easy. Oh well it is what it is.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I get what youre saying but I'm not sure im fully on board there, if you tend to buy with the same people/person for most away games it feels like there should be some movement. You plus one in certain scenarios would be better (especially when a few mere points of the top tier), obivously I get policing that wouldnt be easy. Oh well it is what it is.
What certain scenarios though?

I doubt there's many people in Tier 2 who don't know someone in Tier 1. Each person who gets bumped up as a certain-scenario-plus-one will deprive someone who has put in the hard yards of attending more away games.

I'd love to be a Tier 1 plus-one for Ajax, but it wouldn't be right for someone with more points than me to miss out, and that's ultimately what it means.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasn’t that just a particular clubs fans saying that?
Not fans, Borussia Dortmund themselves said that to their fans.

They basically said "if you get there and someone's in your seat - go and find another one somewhere else".

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
@PoG That would just over complicate things. And without wanting to open up a debate on this, there's no way someone in tier 2 for instance, should be allowed to get a ticket in tier 1 just because their mate is in the top tier.

If two people regularly go to games together, they'll eventually end up in the same tier.

The way the club does this may not please everyone but is certainly the fairest way

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
What certain scenarios though?

I doubt there's many people in Tier 2 who don't know someone in Tier 1. Each person who gets bumped up as a certain-scenario-plus-one will deprive someone who has put in the hard yards of attending more away games.

I'd love to be a Tier 1 plus-one for Ajax, but it wouldn't be right for someone with more points than me to miss out, and that's ultimately what it means.

Well I wouldnt expect someone with <100 points to get a ticket from a top tier mate who they never travel with but someone just under the threshold and a mate they always travel with away is a little different wouldnt you say?

Like you mention someone in top tier missing out is a fair point and managing it any other way than they have would be hard. That said I'm entitled to be a bit peeved being so close to the threshold.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well I wouldnt expect someone with <100 points to get a ticket from a top tier mate who they never travel with but someone just under the threshold and a mate they always travel with away is a little different wouldnt you say?

Like you mention someone in top tier missing out is a fair point and managing it any other way than they have would be hard. That said I'm entitled to be a bit peeved being so close to the threshold.
So they make an exception for you, because you are five points below the tier 1 threshold? What about the people who are just 5 points below you? Then the people who are two points below them? etc, etc.

Whatever thresholds are in place, somebody will always just miss out. :shrug:

Jimmy Grimble

My guess would be the club found that a lot of those in Tier 1 for Marseille waited and bought in Tier 2 with friends/family that had fewer points than them.

So, for Ajax, they've used a single "guaranteed a seat" Tier 1 so that doesn't need to happen.
I’m coming at it more from the angle that it’s harsh on those who are on 264, as they are thrown in to compete with those on 221. That’s a pretty big gap. I know the line has to be drawn somewhere, but would it not be more fair to stagger it with more tiers something like:

Tier 1 - 265+
Tier 2 - 250-264
Tier 3 - 235-249
Tier 4 -220-234

Could perhaps be separated by a few hours for each slot.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

Its PoG eat PoG out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here