Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Post Game Leaving

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No government is going to fix this one. We're sadly stuck with an out-of-town gorgeous stadium with deeply shitty transport links
I'd say they are not deeply shitty. If you go to any event with 30k people you are not getting away in seconds. Just look forward to the queue at Witton station next Saturday, Villa for example is a pain to get away from. Spurs despite having WHL adjacent to the stadium and Northumberland Park a modest walk away is a pain to get away from. I could go on, Wembley Arena after a gig etc etc.

Could the links be better, of course they could. Are they the worst, no they are not.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I'd say they are not deeply shitty. If you go to any event with 30k people you are not getting away in seconds. Just look forward to the queue at Witton station next Saturday, Villa for example is a pain to get away from. Spurs despite having WHL adjacent to the stadium and Northumberland Park a modest walk away is a pain to get away from. I could go on, Wembley Arena after a gig etc etc.

Could the links be better, of course they could. Are they the worst, no they are not.
Appreciate that about trains. But no excuse to have to wait an hour for a P&R Bus

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
In fairness to the club, they already do a lot with the travel subsidy for match day travel. The club will control what it can control.

The egress from the carparks could be done a lot better and is under the control of the club. The Mithras House P&R spot never got replaced. The club do do great things but as with most things it could be improved and finessed.

Jul 7, 2003
In fairness to the club, they already do a lot with the travel subsidy for match day travel. The club will control what it can control.
Although taking away the subsidy for Seagull Travel users was unjustified and adds to the costs for those who use that service - especially as people using ST take some of the pressure off of P&R and rail services.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That illustrates the benefit of leaving early.

I didn't get back to Worthing until after 11:30.
You were lucky.

I 'ad to drive through hoizontal rain, and mud a foot deep and didn't get home till quarter t' bloody one. In t' morning!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The egress from the carparks could be done a lot better and is under the control of the club. The Mithras House P&R spot never got replaced. The club do do great things but as with most things it could be improved and finessed.
Then that is something that should be taken up with them.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Appreciate that about trains. But no excuse to have to wait an hour for a P&R Bus
Buses seem to be suffering from a similar shortage of vehicles and drivers as the trains though. If the club cannot get hold of the buses then they cannot get hold of them.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Through no fault of club our stadium is in the sticks. To retain attendances they need to have a good transport system to get to and from games. They just show no interest in communicating with supporters about this. We were clearly told a % of our ST cost is contribution towards this.
I am often in Dusseldorf in Germany and take in a game. 3 different clubs and always free travel on bus and trains

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

The Albion is not responsible for the infrastructure failure that public transport in this country suffers from. I am not sure what more the club can do, @jackalbion has already explained the train situation (and flipping heck it's not even Southern's fault that do not have enough trains.)

We are screaming at the wrong people here. What we need is a government that believes in the value of public transport and will make the necessary investments to make it usable. Although between this govt and the 'fiscally' responsible next one we may be waiting a long time.
Yes, the government is partly responsible but the transport unions long ago lost sight of their role of serving the public, and doing their utmost to help people. The government need to provide and finance the infrastructure. The unions need to change their attitude. Both of these are very unlikely to happen over the next 20 years. So do we shrug and accept that everything has to be shit? We will never arrive at a perfect solution, and we all know that. But we can surely to god be creative and seek improvements.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
In the interest of balance, the club has added a new park and ride this season (at least for weekend games) so they are at least acknowledging it's not perfect.

Would be fascinated to know why they can't have the Pyecombe option every week as well.

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
After all the foregoing doom and gloom, how about a nice positive transport story. I left my seat in WSL on the final whistle (I am right by a vomitory) and quickly left the stadium. Got straight on to an EDF bus (no queue) which quickly filled and left car park at 4.05. No traffic to contend with, so got back to Portland Road very quickly. Smooth drive home to Southwick from there, and walked in my door at 4.30, much to the surprise of my wife. This is the quickest I have ever got home from a first team game at the Amex.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Club always fills the ground to capacity. Everybody always eventually gets home at some ludicrous time after the game finishes. Club don't give the tiniest shit beyond that. :shrug:
Very unfair. The travel constraints were well understood when we accepted our shiny and free new ground. Do you expect theatres to ‘give the tiniest shit’ if the audience is affected by road traffic delays ? They will do what they can but it’s up to you to get there and back and up to them them to put on the show. It is possible to plan for and worry about the transport without slagging off the club.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We are screaming at the wrong people here. What we need is a government that believes in the value of public transport and will make the necessary investments to make it usable. Although between this govt and the 'fiscally' responsible next one we may be waiting a long time.
In the SE of England you have the best transport infrastructure in the country and it was plenty good enough for Falmer until somebody built a PL football stadium next to the station. Nobody should expect it to be rebuilt to cope with 30000 football fans. There are lots of competing uses for that money, including transport infrastructure in the north of England which was downgraded as far back as the 1960s whilst the investment went into the London to Brighton line.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Through no fault of club our stadium is in the sticks. To retain attendances they need to have a good transport system to get to and from games. They just show no interest in communicating with supporters about this. We were clearly told a % of our ST cost is contribution towards this.
I am often in Dusseldorf in Germany and take in a game. 3 different clubs and always free travel on bus and trains
You were given a 30000 seat stadium for free, a football team good enough to compete with the best and heavily discounted season tickets. Perhaps you should pay for your own train ticket ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You were given a 30000 seat stadium for free, a football team good enough to compete with the best and heavily discounted season tickets. Perhaps you should pay for your own train ticket ?
Behave. What's that even supposed to mean? Were we all expected to chip in to the Stadium Of Bloom? :rolleyes:

And personally I'd be more than happy to pay for my own train ticket if the service provided was anywhere near fit for purpose

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here