advice please NSC regarding my sons school

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sounds like you should be prepared to settle for £40-£50 then, if you're intent on pursuing the school for compensation. Some on here think that you should; others that you shouldn't. Plus ca change...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm not saying he shouldn't. It isn't for me to comment on. The value is relative to the person.

Why should it be though? The school have more important things to worry about than whether their pupils are bringing expensive stuff to school or not. Policy changes will always be reactive. I would understand someone wanting to make a fuss about this, but I wouldn't want to, personally.

They should be reactive, if they are found to be lacking. Value of personal possessions should be immaterial.

Lots of pupils in my school have MP3/iPods. It's an SEN school and music can be quite calming for those with a long journey home. Security is assured. I'd like to think that all schools can guarantee some sort of security for possessions, particularly those that are to be surrendered - Would you hand over anything of value - whether it be monetary or emotional?

If a child is negligent i.e. leaves something lying about, I would still like the school to make every effort to ensure that the item is returned.

For the record, I wouldn't want/accept any sort of financial compensation. I would write it off, but not before the school has made every effort to find the item.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
will post the outcome (if any) tomorrow. night all

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sounds like you should be prepared to settle for £40-£50 then, if you're intent on pursuing the school for compensation. Some on here think that you should; others that you shouldn't. Plus ca change...

A very good compromise...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
They should be reactive, if they are found to be lacking. Value of personal possessions should be immaterial.

Lots of pupils in my school have MP3/iPods. It's an SEN school and music can be quite calming for those with a long journey home. Security is assured. I'd like to think that all schools can guarantee some sort of security for possessions, particularly those that are to be surrendered - Would you hand over anything of value - whether it be monetary or emotional?

If a child is negligent i.e. leaves something lying about, I would still like the school to make every effort to ensure that the item is returned.

Personally, I never had anything of value to take to school. Nor would I. I left school 10 years ago but in that time technology has boomed. I used to have my Sony Walkman actually, that was a bold gamble. Rolled the dice of chance every day.

I think schools have enough to deal with already, without having to worry about all this rubbish. Kids steal things that don't belong to them - that hasn't changed from anyone's day. You take valuables into a school, you are gambling. The school have to take some responsibility but so do the parents and the child themselves.

My two cents, anyway. It's an unfortunate situation.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Personally, I never had anything of value to take to school. Nor would I. I left school 10 years ago but in that time technology has boomed. I used to have my Sony Walkman actually, that was a bold gamble. Rolled the dice of chance every day.

I think schools have enough to deal with already, without having to worry about all this rubbish. Kids steal things that don't belong to them - that hasn't changed from anyone's day. You take valuables into a school, you are gambling. The school have to take some responsibility but so do the parents and the child themselves.

My two cents, anyway. It's an unfortunate situation.

I believe the point to be that the watch was in possession of the school, not nicked from a bag. Make it abundantly clear that one is resposible for their own possessions.

However, in allowing people to wear/bring in whatever they want, asking them to surrender possession and then allowing an opportunity for someone to take it, they are at fault.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
OK, which one do you think did it?

beacon-achieve.jpg

number 4. not making eye contact, probably looking down at the watch.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I am still trying to establish exactly who took the box from the staff room. the school said it wasn't a member of staff but a member of the public????????????????????
hence I guessed at a helper/teaching assistant/volunteer or who ever helps out at a school.

As a teacher that is the bit I find a bit strange as a teaching assistant would be a member of staff. Does the school have a leisure centre attached that is open to the public? I'd also try to find out who gave permission to get the box, did the teacher sanction it or did the kids themselves persuade somebody to retrieve it?

Either way it sounds a like a very lax system.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
As a teacher that is the bit I find a bit strange as a teaching assistant would be a member of staff. I'm assuming that as it was a swimming lesson the school has a leisure centre attached that is open to the public? I'd also try to find out who gave permission to get the box, did the teacher sanction it or did the kids themselves persuade somebody to retrieve it?

Either way it sounds a like a very lax system.

hello TOT, I didn't take the call from the school, my wife did. she told me that the deputy head used the words 'a member of the public'. no it was not a swimming lesson. I am ringing the school tomorrow to get some clarification as to who exactly took the box from the staff room as he also said it was not a member of staff. very lax indeed.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
My son lost his watch at school a month ago, lesson learned I think.

I have bought him another one, but this time I am having his name engraved on the back.

Oh and it was a £25 watch - he can buy a fancy watch when he's got a job.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
hello TOT, I didn't take the call from the school, my wife did. she told me that the deputy head used the words 'a member of the public'. no it was not a swimming lesson. I am ringing the school tomorrow to get some clarification as to who exactly took the box from the staff room as he also said it was not a member of staff. very lax indeed.

And how much is the box worth?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

It may have been a supply teacher who officially isn't a member of a staff though the fact they have said it was a member of public is very strange.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Tell the head, pay up or you call in the police. You are going to need a crime number for your home insurance anyway, and after all there has been a crime committed.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have not really read all the posts so apologies if this has already been asked, but can it be proved the watch the lad was wearing was actually worth £80? if not why should the school (or its insurers or anyone come to that!!) pay out the asking sum.

A watch, along with others were put in a box, two (I think) watches got "half inched" whats saying the watch/es were just not cheap tat?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
I have not really read all the posts so apologies if this has already been asked, but can it be proved the watch the lad was wearing was actually worth £80? if not why should the school (or its insurers or anyone come to that!!) pay out the asking sum.

A watch, along with others were put in a box, two (I think) watches got "half inched" whats saying the watch/es were just not cheap tat?

I have the receipt Hitony.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports