advice please NSC regarding my sons school

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Whether people are expected by others to steal or not steal is immaterial compared to the fact most pupils in the class do not appear to be thieves. It is not flowery but reasonable to suggest (if this is the countless PE lesson where the watch was handed over) that most have learnt the lesson that stealing is not for them... at least not for £80 time pieces.

Yes, most have learned their lesson, but someone or two haven't. It's a dereliction of duty to brush it under the carpet. Two young adults have not learned their lesson (assuming it is not the helper or someone else). The value is immaterial.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
This sort of thing happened to my P.E class 3 or 4 years ago, I think the teacher had not locked the changing room so when we came back about half of us had our phones stolen from our bags. Luckily mine wasn't stolen but I think the school thought of similar excuses.

Sounds like an annoying situation to be in, and it's not your son's or yours fault that it was stolen, it was the school's fault for being negligent.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The trouble with our litigation culture is that it erodes the services people will offer. Looking at the bigger picture here I would suggest that if you persue the school for the full amount then you should soon expect a letter stating that watches are not to worn on PE days as the school is no longer able to look after them during these lessons.

As someone else stated this service may have been provided for many years without issue. It may be that someone inexperienced got involved and made a mistake this time. If this mistake costs the school 160 quid then the quickest and easiest way to make sure they don't get stung again is to withdraw service.

This said I think the school has a duty to do everything it can to find those responsible and return your boys watch and deal out some kind of consequence to the culprits.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
1. If your sons wearing enough bling it becomes a security issue, as its expensive, resalable and easily trousered then your an idiot for letting him take it.

2. The schools pretty dumb for agreeing to hold expensive jewellry.

3. I am suprised the insurance would cover items of value stored in a sloppy manner.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
thanks goldstone, doesn't seem to mention watches though. I will point this out to them.

No problem. I think it would be reasonable to think the watch would fall under where it says 'anything of value etc.'

Dec 29, 2011
At least he's got an excuse for being late to any class now :thumbsup:

"Maybe I wouldn't be late if you hadn't given my watch to a random person".

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
1. If your sons wearing enough bling it becomes a security issue, as its expensive, resalable and easily trousered then your an idiot for letting him take it.

2. The schools pretty dumb for agreeing to hold expensive jewellry.

3. I am suprised the insurance would cover items of value stored in a sloppy manner.

1. bling? not really, it was a plain black watch that didn't flash nor reflect the light in any way and would not be worn by a rapper.
2. agree.
3. agree.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yes, most have learned their lesson, but someone or two haven't. It's a dereliction of duty to brush it under the carpet. Two young adults have not learned their lesson (assuming it is not the helper or someone else). The value is immaterial.

:thumbsup:

It certainly would be a dereliction of duty to brush it under the carpet, but I'm not yet convinced from what has been said in this thread that this has happened.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
At least he's got an excuse for being late to any class now :thumbsup:

"Maybe I wouldn't be late if you hadn't given my watch to a random person".

:wink:

This is not what Tiddler, the Story Telling Fish, said.

tiddler-the-story-telling-fish.jpg

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
:thumbsup:

It certainly would be a dereliction of duty to brush it under the carpet, but I'm not yet convinced from what has been said in this thread that this has happened.

I am still trying to establish exactly who took the box from the staff room. the school said it wasn't a member of staff but a member of the public????????????????????
hence I guessed at a helper/teaching assistant/volunteer or who ever helps out at a school.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
OK, which one do you think did it?

beacon-achieve.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
it was a crimbo present (last one). £80 new, offered £25. that is deducting £9 per month approx. for wear and tear.

Have to say that depreciation is a bit steep. In 9 months the watch is worth nothing? You could look on ebay for similar watches and see what they go for but as it was less than a year old I would think you should get at least half the replacement value.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
fair comment Ninja. initially the school (deputy head I believe) said that they would carry out an investigation into the disappearance of the watches and that the school would look into refunding the cost of the watch, only for the battleaxe to step in and offer £25 without prejudice. hey ho.

Only you know your situation, the back story with the Head etc. Personally, I would write it off and move on with life. But I would understand if you weren't prepared to make that call.

He shouldn't wear something worth £80? The value is immaterial, surely? Does this extend outside the school front gates?

It should be an admission of guilt, if the school are happy for pupils to come with anything of value and require them to hand them over. I guarantee that they will be changing their policy on security henceforth.

I'm not saying he shouldn't. It isn't for me to comment on. The value is relative to the person.

Why should it be though? The school have more important things to worry about than whether their pupils are bringing expensive stuff to school or not. Policy changes will always be reactive. I would understand someone wanting to make a fuss about this, but I wouldn't want to, personally.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I presume £80 is the cost of a replacement new watch - what is the value of such a watch which has been worn to school?

I wouldn't accept £25 but I would be willing to negotiate on that figure - if you do start a claim in the County Court you are unlikely to be awarded the full value of a replacement new watch when there are large numbers of used Swatch watches available on sites like eBay - most selling for about half the new price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports