Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

advice please NSC regarding my sons school

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Fer Chrisake ! It surely isn't just a matter of the money involved, it's the bloody principle. The kids were offered a depository as protection from theft, it beggars belief that the school would make such an offer then let anyone help themselves. The school were neglectful, firstly by not having a more secure method of collection and secondly when their representative (regular teacher) failed to recognise the danger in leaving the responsibility of returning the items to a trainee.
And to those that think its a fuss for nothing, consider how you'd feel on going to the bank for cash only to be told "sorry someone else claimed it".

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Fer Chrisake ! It surely isn't just a matter of the money involved, it's the bloody principle. The kids were offered a depository as protection from theft, it beggars belief that the school would make such an offer then let anyone help themselves. The school were neglectful, firstly by not having a more secure method of collection and secondly when their representative (regular teacher) failed to recognise the danger in leaving the responsibility of returning the items to a trainee.
And to those that think its a fuss for nothing, consider how you'd feel on going to the bank for cash only to be told "sorry someone else claimed it".

Well if my bank consisted of a tupperware box on a shelf in a room where a lot of people have access to it including children I'd consider it foolish to bank with them.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
thank you for your opinion Tony. I am not partial to making false insurance claims as I consider myself a law abiding citizen.

For the sake of clarity, I did not imply or suggest you were in the habit or indeed trying to make a false insurance claim, I choose my words carefully so that would not appear to be the case.

the judge judy reference was because that is the type of answer she would come up with (twas tongue in cheek).

I can assure you I took the comment as a tongue in cheek comment, in all fairness its without doubt one of the nicer things I have ben called on here! :lol:

my son wore his watch to school, placed it in what he thought was safe custody, (perhaps teacher should have said ' I wouldn't bring expensive items to school in future if I were you lad',

I think this is where we differ, I feel and will always feel, the responsibility lays at his parents feet not the school / teachers.

did his lesson, came back to get his watch that wasn't there. etc etc. investigation carried out. 'a member of the public' gets box of watches/valuables from the staff room and proceeds to hand them back to pupils who (as it seems) help themselves to watches that are obviously not theirs. as someone mentioned earlier, if it was a £25 casio watch,what offer would I get from the school

as it was a (IMO) mistake on their part?

Again we will beg to differ on that point, and my answer relates to this issue not other examples that have and can be given, I live in a world where every situation is different if it involves different people!

its the principle of the whole thing, not the value of the watch.

I agree about the principle, and I do hope the little crap head who took the watch gets caught.

15/16 year olds have been brought up to trust their teachers but I guess some teachers, in certain schools, cannot be trusted.

I am a bit confused? I thought another kid helped himself to the watch? so are you suggesting the teacher may have taken it?

hey ho. have tried to speak to the deputy head, but, like me, he is probably working (my lunch break btw).

It may well be his lunch break, or indeed he may well be reading NSC! :lol:

I put it on this open forum as I expected and indeed enjoy the comments from fellow human beings.[/
QUOTE]

Mine included I trust? :) in all seriousness I do think its threads like this and the contributors and all the differing responses and feelings etc that does make NSC stand out way and above any other forum, as said many times before, this is not just a football related forum.

Again, whilst our opinions on this may differ a bit, I do wish you all the best in getting the watch back, I still hope that as there will be a registered / known amount of children / people that could have taken the watch it will still find its way back to the owner, my opinions were not set out to upset or annoy you I can assure you, good luck :thumbsup:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
again I thank you Tony. I am neither upset nor annoyed at your comments. each to their own.

I am a bit confused? I thought another kid helped himself to the watch? so are you suggesting the teacher may have taken it? I am not suggesting this at all. the teacher offered the box to my son so that he could put his watch in it. he obviously thinks that the teacher would then place the box into the staff room for safe keeping (which they did). this is the grey area bit...'a member of the public' took the box from the staff room and offered it to the pupils that had completed the pe lesson. why didn't a member of staff retrieve the box? who is this member of the public? the school are being a little sheepish with this bit.

It takes a lot to rile me and comments from fellow NSCers are taken on the chin or are in one ear and out the other or with a BIG pinch of salt. I am an easy going ex matelot who enjoys a laugh and I get quite a few from on here. that's why I read NSC. I will not be getting the watch back as it has long gone. I will probably accept the £25 but its the 'without prejudice' bit that gets to me. stinks of a cover up and I hope I can stop this happening to any other pupil at this school. tick tock keep you posted.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Of course its a cover up because so few people these days can bring themselves to say "sorry I f****d up" for fear of reprisal because so few people can respond with "tch never mind don't let it happen again eh" and that seems to be whats happening here wth quite a few people pointing the finger at a school that isnt fort knox

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Of course its a cover up because so few people these days can bring themselves to say "sorry I f****d up" for fear of reprisal because so few people can respond with "tch never mind don't let it happen again eh" and that seems to be whats happening here wth quite a few people pointing the finger at a school that isnt fort knox

You've described the quintessential chicken or egg problem. If people didn't f up, then there would be no need for the "victim" to respond negatively. Conversely, if "victims" were more tolerant, the perpetrator would possibly be more likely to fess up to any failings they may have.

To me it's always seemed a good idea to behave by the "golden rule" - treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated, whether you are the perpetrator or the victim; or indeed, in life in general...

Naturally, I don't always succeed in following my advice - that's for my kids to do. Yeah, right...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Teacher may not have known the value of the item. The boy almost certainly did.

Totally irrelevant. The school accepted responsibility by collecting the goods in on the premise it was for safe keeping.

A teacher's point of view.

It looks like the PE department at the school had a system for looking after valuables, which means there was certain acceptance that valuables were brought onto the school premises - in this case a watch which is a perfectly acceptable item to possess. Somewhere that system has broken down and i think this is what you need to try and figure out. My conjectured view is that either the PE teacher was inexperienced or that the kids badgered somebody to go and get the watches - hence the member of public part which I find very strange, if they are on the school premises that person has to be attached to the school in some capacity - though within this scenario it may be that the kids badgered an outside contractor/visitor sitting in the staff room to get the box, perhaps innocently wanting to move on to their next lesson or equally with nefarious purposes on behalf of one or two. Of the two views I reckon it may well be the latter as kids generally don't understand the processes behind a number of rules and regulations, their logic being you're in the staff room why can't you get the box and give us our items.

HP - Does your son take PE as a GCSE subject or the non exam core lessons? If it is the latter then you may have one or two undesirables in the class who may have understood how the system worked and saw an opportunity.

All conjecture mind - but I'd keep pressing on who exactly this member of public was and what were they doing on the premises as there are strict rules for being on school property.

All good points but the overiding factor is that the school accepted responsibility.

Well if my bank consisted of a tupperware box on a shelf in a room where a lot of people have access to it including children I'd consider it foolish to bank with them.

Sounds like a 'Not the Nine O'clock News' sketch but with a shoebox!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here