Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A messge from the Dark Star

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Bill Kings Horsham brewery is now brewing Festive again.

King & Barnes Festive was the first alcoholic drink I ever bought. I had a half in Ditchling when I was 15. Couldn't really enjoy it as I was sure that a police raid was imminent and I would be arrested and locked up. Drank it fairly quickly, lost my nerve - followed it up with a Rombout's coffee (can you still get this?) and a game of bar billiards. I'll have to get myself some Festive to see if it brings it all back for me....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know this has been done before but they're really not comparable. They're more different than say, tea is to coffee.

Hophead tastes fruity, flowery, sickly, strong and sour. Harveys tastes bitter, smooth and musty. Depends what you like.

Far too sensible my dear Notters. Far, far too sensible.

porterr

Jan 7, 2007
I agree with Attila in that the original message from Dark Star was that they were in danger of not being able to sell at the Amex rather than real ale altogether which in my humble opinion is one of the great adverts for the stadium. However with Dark Star not available in the concourses anymore, and only on tap in Dick's bar it is going to be very difficult to see how it can continue. Although it is going to be fun trying to improve its commerciality.

:cheers:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We'll be heading for Dick's tomorrow so I can see a few Hopheads being consumed :drink:

I like Harveys as a rule, but Hophead makes a nice change so hope it will stay

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Bill Kings Horsham brewery is now brewing Festive again.

Yes, but sadly Bill isn't involved these days. Retired.

Festive was a great pint in its day, though many people found it inconsistent. I don't know how faithful the new one is to the original - or indeed if it's possible to be faithful to the original, if its detractors were correct.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Not overly keen on Hophead myself, though I love the whole Dark Star idea.

I just find that their beers give me a headache that I don't get with most other beers. Maybe it's to do with the high hop content (though alcohol levels are often pretty high too).

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Would love some London Pride, Doombar or Black Sheep ! Sorry Dark Star

Is Doombar acceptable to CAMRA types as it was taken over by the Evil Empire (Coors)?

Bring back King and Barns Sussex made in Horsham a great beer what a shame the Brewery was sold and built on.

I'd like to see Friary Meux brought back as well - that was a nice pint

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Email to Paul Barber...

Hi Paul

Dark Star are saying on Facebook and Twitter that the 'Caterers are currently reviewing the real ale offering at the AMEX...'

Do they mean specifically their stuff, or real ale generally? I shudder to think of the shit-storm which will descend upon the caterers (and hence the club) if ale were removed.

Cheers, Al

Reply from Paul Barber - 90 seconds later...

Hi Alan

No truth at all.

We've already said that Dark Star will continue to be available in Dick's.

Meanwhile, Harvey's continues to sell very well.

Regards, Paul

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes, but sadly Bill isn't involved these days. Retired.

Festive was a great pint in its day, though many people found it inconsistent. I don't know how faithful the new one is to the original - or indeed if it's possible to be faithful to the original, if its detractors were correct.

It's not a bad reproduction, memory fades over time, but it does have the similar distinctive Sussex malty flavour that I associate with Festive.

Not overly keen on Hophead myself, though I love the whole Dark Star idea.

I just find that their beers give me a headache that I don't get with most other beers. Maybe it's to do with the high hop content (though alcohol levels are often pretty high too).

But surely, with real ales, there is far more variety regarding alcoholic strength? My local always sells a mild (3% or thereabouts) Palmers Copper (or similar) at 3.7% then he has 3 more beers ranging form 4% upwards. With lager you are stuck with a load around 4% and rising

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
But surely, with real ales, there is far more variety regarding alcoholic strength? My local always sells a mild (3% or thereabouts) Palmers Copper (or similar) at 3.7% then he has 3 more beers ranging form 4% upwards. With lager you are stuck with a load around 4% and rising

Yes, no dispute over that. It's good that there are so many ales that give you the option to get into richer, stickier territory, with beers you sip rather than swig.

Though I do find that in the Evening Star there isn't much choice below 5%, which makes it a little tricky for a midweek night out.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A few pints of Harveys for your meal, then a couple of Dark Stars for pudding

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A few pints of Harveys for your meal, then a couple of Dark Stars for pudding

Surely it is Southern Tier Creme Brulee Imperial Stout for pudding?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As a beer drinker I could never drink the fizzy water stuff. I only drink pre match and from the kiosk with a pie so only get Harveys. In the warmer months we stayed behind post match but the mobiles closed so it was back to the kiosk. Harveys is a must and I think the removal of real ale would cause a major stir. Where is Mr Barber from (southerner or northerner) and does he understand that any smooth flow beer is not want we want.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
As an aside can any connoisseurs tell me what the distinctive characteristics of Doom Bar are ? I have tried a few pints and to be honest the most distinctive thing seems to be it comes from Cornwall. There is the odd distinct beer I don't particularly like (Abbot Ale - overly malty, Tanglefoot unbalanced citrus) and many I do enjoy. I guess I am trying to say, I don't understand the fuss about Doom Bar.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I know this has been done before but they're really not comparable. They're more different than say, tea is to coffee.

Hophead tastes fruity, flowery, sickly, strong and sour. Harveys tastes bitter, smooth and musty. Depends what you like.

This. They are two completely different beverages. I like both, but prefer Harveys by a considerable distance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here