Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A messge from the Dark Star

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As an aside can any connoisseurs tell me what the distinctive characteristics of Doom Bar are ? I have tried a few pints and to be honest the most distinctive thing seems to be it comes from Cornwall. There is the odd distinct beer I don't particularly like (Abbot Ale - overly malty, Tanglefoot unbalanced citrus) and many I do enjoy. I guess I am trying to say, I don't understand the fuss about Doom Bar.

Blandest of the bland. What one has to remember is just because a beer is a big seller it does not make it good. John Smiths are the biggest sellers in the supermarkets and look at the fuss over Magners cider a few years back. It's marketing and trying to get to the people who either don't know better or are scared of taste.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This pisses me off as a father who takes his son to the AMEX I cannot use Dicks and I love the Hophead as do many of the dads I drink with in the East Lower between the 6 of us we could account for a fair portion of a barrel but not now.....we want our Hophead back!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As a beer drinker I could never drink the fizzy water stuff. I only drink pre match and from the kiosk with a pie so only get Harveys. In the warmer months we stayed behind post match but the mobiles closed so it was back to the kiosk. Harveys is a must and I think the removal of real ale would cause a major stir. Where is Mr Barber from (southerner or northerner) and does he understand that any smooth flow beer is not want we want.

Did you read any of this thread before you typed?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
As an aside can any connoisseurs tell me what the distinctive characteristics of Doom Bar are ? I have tried a few pints and to be honest the most distinctive thing seems to be it comes from Cornwall. There is the odd distinct beer I don't particularly like (Abbot Ale - overly malty, Tanglefoot unbalanced citrus) and many I do enjoy. I guess I am trying to say, I don't understand the fuss about Doom Bar.

Agree completely. It's a really bland and neutral ale, no better than Greene King IPA. Nice name though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Doom Bar is one of the most distinctive beers I've had in that it tastes of liquorice. Unfortunately I hate liquorice. :facepalm: Other than that it's fairly bland, I suppose, as stated above, but there's a strong liquorice flavour!

Oh, and they're now owned by some megabrewery - Coors I believe. Which is why it's becoming ubiquitous... Which in turn is why so many people are saying they like it, I think.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
This pisses me off as a father who takes his son to the AMEX I cannot use Dicks and I love the Hophead as do many of the dads I drink with in the East Lower between the 6 of us we could account for a fair portion of a barrel but not now.....we want our Hophead back!

Well said that man!!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As a beer drinker I could never drink the fizzy water stuff. I only drink pre match and from the kiosk with a pie so only get Harveys. In the warmer months we stayed behind post match but the mobiles closed so it was back to the kiosk. Harveys is a must and I think the removal of real ale would cause a major stir. Where is Mr Barber from (southerner or northerner) and does he understand that any smooth flow beer is not want we want.

That question was answered before you asked it.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Doom Bar is one of the most distinctive beers I've had in that it tastes of liquorice. Unfortunately I hate liquorice. :facepalm: Other than that it's fairly bland, I suppose, as stated above, but there's a strong liquorice flavour!

Oh, and they're now owned by some megabrewery - Coors I believe. Which is why it's becoming ubiquitous... Which in turn is why so many people are saying they like it, I think.

I don't mind Doombar if thats all that available. Its is kind of easy drinking, which I guess makes it so popular. I know a few lager drinkers who like it too, so if that gets them into ale great.

Some of my CAMRA friends do get snooty about Doombar, but I'm not sure if thats more about it not being the "right sort" of real ale, In other words, rare......

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

This is what the brewer says

“The aroma of Doom Bar combines an accomplished balance of spicy resinous hop, inviting sweet malt and delicate roasted notes. The mouth feel is a perfectly balanced and complex blend of succulent dried fruit, lightly roasted malty notes and a subtle yet assertive bitterness. The bitterness remains into the finish with dry fruity notes which implore the drinker to go back for more.”

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't mind Doombar if thats all that available. Its is kind of easy drinking, which I guess makes it so popular. I know a few lager drinkers who like it too, so if that gets them into ale great.

Some of my CAMRA friends do get snooty about Doombar, but I'm not sure if thats more about it not being the "right sort" of real ale, In other words, rare......

Don't think it needs to be rare, just localish. Don't trust an ale that's come a long way.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Agree completely. It's a really bland and neutral ale, no better than Greene King IPA. Nice name though.

Ruddles County used to be a superb ale in the mid-70s, but that was before Watneys got their hands on it. It's the same problem with any good ale from a smaller brewer once the big boys buy them out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Some of my CAMRA friends do get snooty about ...

normal people drinking ales? its quite odd isnt it, their campaign being successful but they look down their nose at popular brands.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I bet we've bumped into each other a few times.

I'm still trying to establish a beer ratio to getting kids home safely rule. Me and my wife are some way apart on what that should be.

For example, she said "two should be plenty"

and I replied "well that's what we have, 2 in The Eddy, 2 on the concourse before the game, and 2 in the Brasserie after..."

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Ruddles County used to be a superb ale in the mid-70s, but that was before Watneys got their hands on it. It's the same problem with any good ale from a smaller brewer once the big boys buy them out.

Ruddles has improved again recently after changing hands a good few times.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I bet we've bumped into each other a few times.

I'm still trying to establish a beer ratio to getting kids home safely rule. Me and my wife are some way apart on what that should be.

For example, she said "two should be plenty"

and I replied "well that's what we have, 2 in The Eddy, 2 on the concourse before the game, and 2 in the Brasserie after..."

My Missus asks why I need to get to the ground two and a half hours before the match and then stay two hours after:ffsparr: :drink: :drink::drink::ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here