Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A good win against Derby...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
...and have we turned the corner? Would the playoffs be "back on"?

In my eyes we just need Ulloa/a tall striker and the option of Vicente for 20 minutes every here and there and we are a formidable side.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just annoys me when we lose or draw and everyone says were fighting relegation, fact is, we have drawn loads, but are still up there, we could win the next 3 and lose the next 2 and people won't be happy, but yes, I feel a win will give the team extra confidence

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just annoys me when we lose or draw and everyone says were fighting relegation, fact is, we have drawn loads, but are still up there, we could win the next 3 and lose the next 2 and people won't be happy, but yes, I feel a win will give the team extra confidence

It does seem just like last season though, we'll win 5 in a row now/win and draw up til the Palace game, then fall apart again.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
It does seem just like last season though, we'll win 5 in a row now/win and draw up til the Palace game, then fall apart again.

When we went on our shit run last year, I thought the worse because we didn't have alot of quality in the team, now we do, so I feel a win is always around the corner, I'm more optimistic this year

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is Brighton. We lost badly against Watford, expected to lose against Ipswich but won comfortably. We surprised most fans I think by comprehensively outplaying Newcastle. We now think we have a good chance of beating Derby, so we will probably play well, miss a hatful and scrape a draw or lose to a counter attacking goal having dominated.

It was ever thus as a Brighton fan, lose when we expect to win, win when we expect to lose. Cock up when we have a chance to go top or get into the playoffs. Championship season apart and the first few games of the last two seasons Gus has stumbled across this rather annoying trait of ours :smile:

Going into the Derby game I will hope for a win but expect absolutely nothing more than to end up frustrated by us....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When we went on our shit run last year, I thought the worse because we didn't have alot of quality in the team, now we do, so I feel a win is always around the corner, I'm more optimistic this year

I do agree and my optimism comes from the fact we DO look much more dominant in games this season generally, and that with the likes of Bridge and Kusz I don't think we will lose more than 1 or 2 in a row, just need to turn those draws into wins 2nd half of the season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The play-offs will be well in sight if we can cut out the habit of throwing points away. I don't mind losing so much to teams coming here and playing very well (Watford and Middlesbrough were quality on the day, and Millwall were neat enough and value for a point at worst) but Ipswich, Leeds, Birmingham and, worst of all, Bolton were ridiculous results. Wolves and Leicester away should have seen more points coming our way too. Conversely the only team we've really mugged in the same way was Blackpool.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Gus has always done well against Nigel Clough. Derby are an inconsistent side as well. A few really good young players, and some 'solid' Championship players, but at our place, and with the quality we have, I'd expect us to win this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The play-offs will be well in sight if we can cut out the habit of throwing points away. I don't mind losing so much to teams coming here and playing very well (Watford and Middlesbrough were quality on the day, and Millwall were neat enough and value for a point at worst) but Ipswich, Leeds, Birmingham and, worst of all, Bolton were ridiculous results. Wolves and Leicester away should have seen more points coming our way too. Conversely the only team we've really mugged in the same way was Blackpool.

The Bolton game will still annoy me years from now. The biggest mugging of all time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We will do a Reading and win almost every remaining game and get automatic promotion.

The whole team need to start weighing with goals, for that to happen, I just can't see that happening.
Although we do have a 'turn the corner' feel, about us, and some favouable games coming up.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
very tough game against a resurgent Derby and although we have a right to be confident we did create less chances than normal on Saturday (albeit against a higher ranked side) o we will need to pick it up to win. They score lots running through from midfield at pace which is an area we have some vulnerability.

I think we really do need that boost of a big striker to hold the ball and give a bit of focus to the excellant work our wide players do.

That said I think we are a fraction away from being a play-off side in terms of our overall quality and if we get there I would back us to win any tie over two legs.

Seriously good times with a team who may be frustrating but are often a delight to watch

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Prior to the Toon the last HOME WIN was the 27/11

Thats the 27/11 and last time we won at home in the league.

Not good enough frankly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The whole team need to start weighing with goals, for that to happen, I just can't see that happening.
Although we do have a 'turn the corner' feel, about us, and some favouable games coming up.

Bruno, Greer, Hammond, El Abd, Orlandi, Lopez, Lualua, Buckley, Bridge have al contributed to our goal tally.Of our last 18 goals, only 4 came from recognised strikers (CMS, Hoskins). It's only Bridcutt, Crofts, an Dicker who regularly play who haven't scored, yet.

I hope the players don't approach the game as if they have, just because we beat ipswich and newcastle. I don't want us assuming it will be easy. And I think the same needs to be applied to the fans. We can't assume beating Derby (or anyone in this league) is a formality based on who we have already beaten this season.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
May sound like a stupid observation, but we seem to be a real 'form' team. When things are going well, we can get 4/5 wins in a row. When things are going badly we can go 4/5 games without a win. Hopefully a few new signings (especially in the striker department) can give Gus more chance to change the tactics if things aren't going well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here