Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A BLATANT begging for donations - The REMF.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway I hope people will support me and will go for the best result I can get for the REMF. Thanks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have to be honest and say that if my sister had offered me a bike worth the same as I was going to raise by using it I'd have asked her to donate it direct and save me the aggro.

But then again I guess I wouldn't have got the attention.

Blimey, when I asked a question when I gave a fiver to the guy that was collecting for cancer research, I can assure you that he didn't talk to me like that.

If that's the way you treat your donors maybe it's time for a change.

That wasn't a question that you asked. You were, for whatever reason, being critical and confrontational.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Think of you want of me SS but all I am trying to do when you think about is to raise funds for the REMF and being royallly slaughtered for it. Strange that, to me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Next year Uncle I think NSC should nominate your challenge to raise money for the REMF.

Last edited:

There is some basic financial information about REMF available on the Charity Commission website:-

Year Ending Income Spending
31 Jan 2008 £4,669 £4,873
31 Jan 2009 £8,287 £3,700
31 Jan 2010 £9,318 £8,520
31 Jan 2011 £11,454 £3,001
31 Jan 2012 £17,768 £37,300

CHARITABLE OBJECTS:
(A) PROVIDE PHYSICAL EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES FOR CHILDREN DEPRIVED OF OR WITH LIMITED ACCESS TO SUCH FACILITIES;
(B) TO PROVIDE RECREATIONAL FACILITIES WITH THE OBJECT OF IMPROVING THE CONDITIONS OF LIFE FOR SUCH CHILDREN WHO BY REASON OF THEIR POVERTY OR SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE NEED OF SUCH FACILITIES;
(C) THE PROVISION OF GRANTS, AND OTHER MONETARY ASSISTANCE TO CHARITABLE BODIES WHOSE CHARITABLE PURPOSES ARE SUBSTANTIALLY THE SAME AS THE PURPOSES OF THE FUND ("CHARITABLE INTERMEDIARIES").

ACTIVITIES: PROVIDING FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE AND GRANTS TO SPORTS CLUBS AND ORGANISATIONS INVOLVED WITH DISADVANTAGED YOUNG PEOPLE IN BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX AREA.

WHERE THE CHARITY OPERATES:
CROYDON
EAST SUSSEX
WEST SUSSEX

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.u...steredCharityNumber=1092631&ReportType=COLOUR

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is some basic financial information about REMF available on the Charity Commission website:-

CHARITABLE OBJECTS:
(A) PROVIDE PHYSICAL EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES FOR CHILDREN DEPRIVED OF OR WITH LIMITED ACCESS TO SUCH FACILITIES;
(B) TO PROVIDE RECREATIONAL FACILITIES WITH THE OBJECT OF IMPROVING THE CONDITIONS OF LIFE FOR SUCH CHILDREN WHO BY REASON OF THEIR POVERTY OR SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE NEED OF SUCH FACILITIES;
(C) THE PROVISION OF GRANTS, AND OTHER MONETARY ASSISTANCE TO CHARITABLE BODIES WHOSE CHARITABLE PURPOSES ARE SUBSTANTIALLY THE SAME AS THE PURPOSES OF THE FUND ("CHARITABLE INTERMEDIARIES").

ACTIVITIES: PROVIDING FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE AND GRANTS TO SPORTS CLUBS AND ORGANISATIONS INVOLVED WITH DISADVANTAGED YOUNG PEOPLE IN BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX AREA.

CROYDON
EAST SUSSEX
WEST SUSSEX

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.u...steredCharityNumber=1092631&ReportType=COLOUR

How does that work LB ?
Spending higher than income.

How does that work LB ?
Spending higher than income.
The figures for the years between 2002 and 2007 aren't included in the information published on the Charity Commission's website. At the beginning of the five year period that is reported, there was an accumulation of funds from previous years. This surplus continued to grow until 2011, when the charity purchased a minibus for Albion in the Community / The Seagulls Specials.

What I find particularly heartening about REMF is the fact that income has grown steadily over the past five years, thanks to the increasing commitment of Albion fans (and others) to the fundraising activities that have been so well organised by the individuals who keep the charity going.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The figures for the years between 2002 and 2007 aren't included in the information published on the Charity Commission's website. At the beginning of the five year period that is reported, there was an accumulation of funds from previous years. This surplus continued to grow until 2011, when the charity purchased a minibus for Albion in the Community / The Seagulls Specials.

Ok I see that. Ta.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

CHARITABLE OBJECTS:

CROYDON
EAST SUSSEX
WEST SUSSEX

Thanks LB. That's the sort of helpful info needed. Not sure why asking for it provoked such a reaction. Buying the minibus is an impressive achievement. Is there some info on the ways it has been used, and the benefits it's provision has delivered? To not use that example to raise awareness of the good work done, seems a missed opportunity.

I agree with the sentiments of some in this thread, it'll be good to see you post that you've completed something as so many of the things you've personally spoken of doing to raise money for REMF haven't happened. This time though I have every confidence that you'll do it.

I also agree with HKFC that you should be making more on threads like this where you're asking people to give money about ALL the work that REMF does. Telling people to use the search is actually insulting. YOU have to make the effort if you want the money. Why would anyone work to find out what the money is for? If it's not laid out clearly what this charity does and why it's so important then why would anyone donate?

Good luck with the ride.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I agree with the sentiments of some in this thread, it'll be good to see you post that you've completed something as so many of the things you've personally spoken of doing to raise money for REMF haven't happened. This time though I have every confidence that you'll do it.

I also agree with HKFC that you should be making more on threads like this where you're asking people to give money about ALL the work that REMF does. Telling people to use the search is actually insulting. YOU have to make the effort if you want the money. Why would anyone work to find out what the money is for? If it's not laid out clearly what this charity does and why it's so important then why would anyone donate?

Good luck with the ride.

This. I genuinely don't understand why any questioning of what the money will be spent on is met with south hostility, it is odd (and rude) to say the least. It's not up to the people being asked to sponsor to find out, the person asking for sponsorship is supposed to be the one doing the work here!

When someone is repeatedly vague about what causes some sponsorship money is going to it makes people suspicious. Now just to be clear, I'm not accusing you of anything, US, before you fly off the handle and claim bullying and victimisation, but you seem to forget that in today's world people are being asked for sponsorship all the bloody time, and it does start to get a bit tiresome after a while. People are generous by nature, but when every other week you're asked to sponsor someone for a walk / run / swim / bike ride, you start to pick and chose which ones to give your money to. When you ask where the money will be going, "It's for charity" isn't a good enough answer, and you tend to avoid these ones. Being made to feel like you have done something terrible by asking, from someone on the internet asking you for money who you have never even met, and being abused and made out to be a bully for it is another step altogether. And I have to admit that has only ever happened to me with the REMF. I don't understand why you can't see that that isn't normal.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Got to say, it is very odd that we don't see where our money goes.

Why isn't there a blog? Would love to see images, and hear stories from those who have benefited from REMF.

Even on a basic level, what's the minibus been used for?

On a Comic Relief night, you don't just get the comedy and the begging, you get to see what your money will be used for.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This. I genuinely don't understand why any questioning of what the money will be spent on is met with south hostility, it is odd (and rude) to say the least. It's not up to the people being asked to sponsor to find out, the person asking for sponsorship is supposed to be the one doing the work here!

When someone is repeatedly vague about what causes some sponsorship money is going to it makes people suspicious. Now just to be clear, I'm not accusing you of anything, US, before you fly off the handle and claim bullying and victimisation, but you seem to forget that in today's world people are being asked for sponsorship all the bloody time, and it does start to get a bit tiresome after a while. People are generous by nature, but when every other week you're asked to sponsor someone for a walk / run / swim / bike ride, you start to pick and chose which ones to give your money to. When you ask where the money will be going, "It's for charity" isn't a good enough answer, and you tend to avoid these ones. Being made to feel like you have done something terrible by asking, from someone on the internet asking you for money who you have never even met, and being abused and made out to be a bully for it is another step altogether. And I have to admit that has only ever happened to me with the REMF. I don't understand why you can't see that that isn't normal.

Bit odd you mention bullying so frequently on this thread. You and one of the other members of the small select band of serial Spielberg-baiters. He mentioned bullying also. Disclaimers almost.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
@Uncle Spielberg I tried to message you but your inbox is full! James has contacted me, I must apologise for not setting up my JG page sooner, I've now sent the join request to the main page

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
It seems a shame that the recognised charity of NSC has to "defend" itself because posters/viewers miss posts announcing what support/donation has been made. Since it's inception, the REMF has donated thousands of pounds locally, in Sussex and the Croydon area, and globally, in North America, Asia and Africa.

In the last 2-3 years, we have donated funds to 5 local youth clubs, £5,000 to Sutton Eagles, (Palace equivalent of Special Seagulls), £3,750 to CPFC Foundation, (they support youth football clubs), the final donation to Coaching for Hope to bring the total to them to £3,000, and £30,000 for a brand new mini-bus for Special Seagulls. (As I'm doing this from memory, please excuse me if I hve missed

I think you'll find that all of these have had threads started on NSC so the generous folk of this board can see where the funds are going.

Pictures? I have had photos of recipients of our donations from a young girl in Mali to the Special Seagulls taking receipt of the new mini-bus posted on the board. It's hardly appropriate to have a 'photo of a youngster from Fishersgate or from Denton wearing their new kit. We donated £2,500 to Westfield Youth Football near Battle because they were suddenly without a pitch. A local person offered the use of his land but they needed to buy goals, nets etc, and even a sit-on mower to cut their new pitch. I suppose I could have asked for a picture of the mower, (with the REMF logo on it?), but didn't think it necessary.

All of the fund-raising takes hours and hours of personal time from all of the people who organise these events. People like Gareth, Alan Wares, Dave Wilcock, Ritchie Morris and many, many others, (apologies for not mentioning everyone), all work tirelessly to make certain that the football, marathon, quiz, golf, bike ride , etc. are successful. Apart from raising the money, the only other thing these people want is the trust of those who donate. Believe me, every penny raised goes straight into the fund. By request or recommendation, this is then distributed, after satisfying the committee that it falls under the remit of the REMF and is genuine.

Speaking for the REMF, we are extremely indebted for the support that we have received from NSC and hope that this will continue into the future, The only request I have is that if any information is required by any of the NSC posters, can it be made as a simple request so we do not get into any form of binfest.

Tony, REMF Chairman

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tony,

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry you and Gareth seem to think it is a direct attack on the fund.

I do think the website should be more active. The last update of donations was April and no real information of where the money went.

I'm a little bit sceptical of donations in the past. I realise that there is, presumably, a process and someone gives the green light for an application for funding.

I'm not overly keen to contribute, I have done in the past, when funds go towards buying kits for a team in Newhaven. Not that I have an thing against Newhaven, but I seem to recall that the people involved were season ticket holders at Withdean. Now, if you can afford a season ticket, I'm pretty sure you can afford a kit for your child and I'm sure (await to be corrected) that the rest of the team could do so, or raise funds off their own back.

I've been lucky enough to visit beautiful areas where the children play football with hundreds of plastic bags tied up in a ball or goalposts that fall apart at the mere touch.

Maybe REMF could think about spreading themselves wider?

I'd hate to think the charity becomes an easy target for clubs wanting a new kit.

That's all and sorry if that comes across as being negative.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It seems a shame that the recognised charity of NSC has to "defend" itself because posters/viewers miss posts announcing what support/donation has been made. Since it's inception, the REMF has donated thousands of pounds locally, in Sussex and the Croydon area, and globally, in North America, Asia and Africa.

In the last 2-3 years, we have donated funds to 5 local youth clubs, £5,000 to Sutton Eagles, (Palace equivalent of Special Seagulls), £3,750 to CPFC Foundation, (they support youth football clubs), the final donation to Coaching for Hope to bring the total to them to £3,000, and £30,000 for a brand new mini-bus for Special Seagulls. (As I'm doing this from memory, please excuse me if I hve missed

I think you'll find that all of these have had threads started on NSC so the generous folk of this board can see where the funds are going.

Pictures? I have had photos of recipients of our donations from a young girl in Mali to the Special Seagulls taking receipt of the new mini-bus posted on the board. It's hardly appropriate to have a 'photo of a youngster from Fishersgate or from Denton wearing their new kit. We donated £2,500 to Westfield Youth Football near Battle because they were suddenly without a pitch. A local person offered the use of his land but they needed to buy goals, nets etc, and even a sit-on mower to cut their new pitch. I suppose I could have asked for a picture of the mower, (with the REMF logo on it?), but didn't think it necessary.

All of the fund-raising takes hours and hours of personal time from all of the people who organise these events. People like Gareth, Alan Wares, Dave Wilcock, Ritchie Morris and many, many others, (apologies for not mentioning everyone), all work tirelessly to make certain that the football, marathon, quiz, golf, bike ride , etc. are successful. Apart from raising the money, the only other thing these people want is the trust of those who donate. Believe me, every penny raised goes straight into the fund. By request or recommendation, this is then distributed, after satisfying the committee that it falls under the remit of the REMF and is genuine.

Speaking for the REMF, we are extremely indebted for the support that we have received from NSC and hope that this will continue into the future, The only request I have is that if any information is required by any of the NSC posters, can it be made as a simple request so we do not get into any form of binfest.

Tony, REMF Chairman

A concise post Tony as REMF Chairman I thank you for clarifying things. I stepped away as I did not want to continue any sort of binfest. I think people raised some valid points about wanting to know where the funds go and I have done my upmost for 12 years to give all this information. I think it is correct that NSC has a lot of newbies in the last 2 years so maybe do not know all about the fund. Sometimes I think I am guilty of assuming everyone knows all about the REMF as I do. I hope people will support the bike ride and the REMF but people have choices where they want their money to go to I understand. I tend to have not done posts on REMF donations in the last 2 years as that is the Chairmans role I feel and don't want to overule that now. You are a great Chairman and figurehead for the REMF and have my 100% support as you know. So, no hard feelings. I will leave this thread alone now however as I have bounced it numerous times which may have annoyed some people. Onwards and Upwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here