A BLATANT begging for donations - The REMF.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bit odd you mention bullying so frequently on this thread. You and one of the other members of the small select band of serial Spielberg-baiters. He mentioned bullying also. Disclaimers almost.

I don't think I'm a serial Spielberg baiter at all, am I US? He does himself no favours sometimes, which I'm sure he'd agree!

Tony,

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry you and Gareth seem to think it is a direct attack on the fund.

I do think the website should be more active. The last update of donations was April and no real information of where the money went.

I'm a little bit sceptical of donations in the past. I realise that there is, presumably, a process and someone gives the green light for an application for funding.

I'm not overly keen to contribute, I have done in the past, when funds go towards buying kits for a team in Newhaven. Not that I have an thing against Newhaven, but I seem to recall that the people involved were season ticket holders at Withdean. Now, if you can afford a season ticket, I'm pretty sure you can afford a kit for your child and I'm sure (await to be corrected) that the rest of the team could do so, or raise funds off their own back.

I've been lucky enough to visit beautiful areas where the children play football with hundreds of plastic bags tied up in a ball or goalposts that fall apart at the mere touch.

Maybe REMF could think about spreading themselves wider?

I'd hate to think the charity becomes an easy target for clubs wanting a new kit.

That's all and sorry if that comes across as being negative.

Excellent post, BOF, and exactly what people have been trying to say. There is nothing wrong with people walking question about a charity, in fact it is a very good thing that they do.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Thanks for the comments BOF and Commander, they’re appreciated.

To tell the truth, I was just trying to calm things down a bit and move the thread forward as a debate and not a binfest. Some of the comments made have been very relevant and maybe those involved in REMF put too much effort into raising the funds and not enough into communicating what’s happened to that money.
Personally speaking, when the Golf Day that I organize comes to an end, I’m exhausted as I’ve been working on it for around 4 months. It takes a great effort just to post on how the day went and the profit that’s been made. And don’t forget, we’ve all got full time jobs and families.

I have to agree that the web site needs much more attention in being kept up to date and we’ll try to address this as a priority. Regarding posting on NSC, I’ll endeavour to keep posts concerning any donation up to date with– with pictures if applicable.

One other thing, please excuse any enthusiasm that a REMF member shows when they’re trying to raise interest or funds, surely this is a good thing.

P.S. Thanks Ed for digging out the figures.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It seems a shame that the recognised charity of NSC has to "defend" itself...

Defend?! Why so negative? People are merely suggesting the REMF promotes itself.

Why do "blatant begging" threads when you could do a much-more-effective "I want to raise £3k for these kids" thread (with details)?

From what we see on NSC, REMF seems to be much more about the fund-raising than the (use of the) funds raised.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It has to be said that if US really does manage to raise £2500 for this it would be a phenomenal achievement. FAR more so than a day out cycling with some chums.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This was the press release in April 2010 showing the progress of the fund to that date. Since then it has gone from strength to strength and I / Tony can do a list of clubs supported since 2010 ( we would have posted them on here ) but I do know the REMF has given out over £ 46000 in donations in the last 2 years , has raised close to £ 140000 since 2001 now and 2012 and 2013 are record breaking years for the fund. The fund raises well in excess of £20 k pa every year from various initiatives and events.

Press Release April 2010.

This is what we have achieved together in the name of Robert Eaton.

Los Peladitos - 230 disadvantaged children in Queens, New York provided with a 3 year funding grant of 230 shirts, 150 balls and equipment.

Seagulls Specials - £ 7000 grant over the last 2 years for handicapped and special needs people in the local community which has been an integral part in them surviving and moving forward.

Coaching for Hope - £ 3000 grant over 3 years to provide kit and equipment for Aids orphans in Mali, Africa for poor and parentless kids to bring a smile to their faces.

8 local youth football clubs in the Brighton & Hove area provided with kit and equipment benefiting hundreds of local kids to play football and enhance their lives.

4 sets of kit for Wycombe Wanderers youth teams in recognition of the support from our friends at CPFC.

Goals for to impoverished kids in Cambodia to play football.

A set of kit for underprivileged children in South Africa.

The Argus Sussex charity of the year in 2009 and also short listed in 2002, 2007 and 2008.

The support and help from Peter Ward, Ricky Marlowe, Dick Knight, BHAFC, Peter Taylor, Robyn Schonhoffer and the Talk Sport team.

Raising over £ 75000 since 2001.

2009 being the most successful year since 2001 with over £ 11000 raised.

The fund going from strength to strength after that terrible day for humanity in 2001 when we lost one of our own showing human endeavour, spirit and love will always overcome the forces of evil.

Every single person who has helped, donated or attended the REMF since 2001 from BHAFC, CPFC and everywhere can be proud of what they have achieved in the name of Robert Eaton. RIP. I know the Eatons find incredible comfort from the REMF and we can all hope that Robert looks down from above and realises what has occurred in his name. I am sure he would be proud.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This was the press release in April 2010 showing the progress of the fund to that date. Since then it has gone from strength to strength and I / Tony can do a list of clubs supported since 2010 ( we would have posted them on here )

Sorry? 2010? TBH Im surprised that there hasnt/isnt regular updates considering REMF is NSCs "charity of choice" as it appears that most fundraising comes from NSC and dare I say it, Brett Mendozas efforts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This was the press release in April 2010 showing the progress of the fund to that date. Since then it has gone from strength to strength and I / Tony can do a list of clubs supported since 2010 ( we would have posted them on here ) but I do know the REMF has given out over £ 46000 in donations in the last 2 years , has raised close to £ 140000 since 2001 now and 2012 and 2013 are record breaking years for the fund. The fund raises well in excess of £20 k pa every year from various initiatives and events.

Los Peladitos - 230 disadvantaged children in Queens, New York provided with a 3 year funding grant of 230 shirts, 150 balls and equipment.

Seagulls Specials - £ 7000 grant over the last 2 years for handicapped and special needs people in the local community which has been an integral part in them surviving and moving forward.

Coaching for Hope - £ 3000 grant over 3 years to provide kit and equipment for Aids orphans in Mali, Africa for poor and parentless kids to bring a smile to their faces.

8 local youth football clubs in the Brighton & Hove area provided with kit and equipment benefiting hundreds of local kids to play football and enhance their lives.

4 sets of kit for Wycombe Wanderers youth teams in recognition of the support from our friends at CPFC.

The Argus Sussex charity of the year in 2009 and also short listed in 2002, 2007 and 2008.

The support and help from Peter Ward, Ricky Marlowe, Dick Knight, BHAFC, Peter Taylor, Robyn Schonhoffer and the Talk Sport team.

The fund going from strength to strength after that terrible day for humanity in 2001 when we lost one of our own showing human endeavour, spirit and love will always overcome the forces of evil.

Every single person who has helped, donated or attended the REMF since 2001 from BHAFC, CPFC and everywhere can be proud of what they have achieved in the name of Robert Eaton. RIP. I know the Eatons find incredible comfort from the REMF and we can all hope that Robert looks down from above and realises what has occurred in his name. I am sure he would be proud.

Good Lord, please tell us that isn't the official press release. It is not WYCOMBE Wanderers, it is WICKHAM Wanderers:

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/wickhamwanderersfc/Home

And they already receive lottery funding, by the way. ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What have Wycombe Wanderers got to do with Palace?

This comes up every time. The donations are NOT to Wycombe Wanderers (the pro league club in Buckinghamshire), but to WICKHAM Wanderers ( a youth football club in Croydon).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

4 sets of kit for Wickham Wanderers youth teams in recognition of the support from our friends at CPFC.

Lol. It was changed before release. Wickham Wanderers.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry? 2010? TBH Im surprised that there hasnt/isnt regular updates considering REMF is NSCs "charity of choice" as it appears that most fundraising comes from NSC and dare I say it, Brett Mendozas efforts.

Right for the last time, there have been regular updates. From me and Tony. I am out of here as it is clearly an agenda to just royally piss me off now with the usual suspects. I do not know what more to say, updates are given on every donation, updates are given on every fundraising initiative done and has done down the years, hence the 326 threads on the fund. I try not to bite but I had a guess which which posters would come on here to snipe I would have got every single one. Ok, I made a spelling mistake in my draft press release which was corrected before it was issued. WHOOPEE DO, well done for pointing it out. A point scored for you, hilarious ?, oh yes, my sides are splitting, it is just so unbelievably funny. I will not look at this thread anymore as it is totally demotivating to me and very demoralising but I guess that is what you wanted isn't it ? WELL done job DONE. Be proud. I got slagged off for not raising enough money and then slagged off for trying too hard to raise money. I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. Frankly I am sick of it now.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
it is clearly an agenda to just royally piss me off now

Oh for God's sake, US, grow up. You're a fifty year old man, not a stroppy teenager. It's not all about you.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Right for the last time, there have been regular updates. From me and Tony. I am out of here as it is clearly an agenda to just royally piss me off now with the usual suspects. I do not know what more to say, updates are given on every donation, updates are given on every fundraising initiative done and has done down the years, hence the 326 threads on the fund. I try not to bite but I had a guess which which posters would come on here to snipe I would have got every single one. Ok, I made a spelling mistake in my draft press release which was corrected before it was issued. WHOOPEE DO, well done for pointing it out. A point scored for you, hilarious ?, oh yes, my sides are splitting, it is just so unbelievably funny. I will not look at this thread anymore as it is totally demotivating to me and very demoralising but I guess that is what you wanted isn't it ? WELL done job DONE. Be proud. I got slagged off for not raising enough money and then slagged off for trying too hard to raise money. I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. Frankly I am sick of it now.

Ignore the bullies mate, you're one of the good guys. You've as good as raised £2,500 for good causes by doing this bike ride which is in itself a terrific success. :clap2:

Stumpy Tim

Wow! I just asked what Wycombe Wanderers were to Palace, which seems a reasonable question to ask given that's what you said. And it is quite a funny spelling mistake. Didn't think that would cause such an explosion

:mad:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I think you might get a better response if you explained what the REMF will actually do with these donations. Reading this thread it comes across as some kind of personal ego boost. Isn't it meant to be about the good causes? I know you will not like hearing this and accuse me of bullying rather than taking the point on board but so be it. The fact is that there are many new members of NSC who may not know what the charity contributes towards. I know I would certainly like an update having contributed in the past. The Just Giving links have no mention of where the money will go which I find a bit odd in truth.

Also many new members would probably have never even heard of Robert Eaton, such as my self when I joined NSC 3 years ago.

I don't doubt for one minute that the monies raised go to its intended recipients, thankfully without the expensive administration costs, that have plagued the charities set up by Princess Di.

If I got a knock on my front door by someone rattling a tin for donations to assist impoverished kids play sport, I'd think what a cool charity and would happily off load some loose change. Without it even having to be a memorial to someone.

But to contribute to a charity as a means to commemorate someone I think some people would want to know something about that person.
What were they like, did they themselves get involved in charities etc.

All that is known about Robert Eaton apart from being tragically killed, is he had a well paid successful career and supported the Albion. I suppose if you look hard enough, you'd find enough information on line.

All that is known about Robert Eaton apart from being tragically killed, is he had a well paid successful career and supported the Albion. I suppose if you look hard enough, you'd find enough information on line.
... and he was a stalwart of NSC, posting under the name Ricky Marlowe's Hairpiece - a regular participant, from his New York base, in the matchday chatroom that was a feature of NSC back in the day. His dad, now 90, is still an Albion season ticket holder. I bumped into him at the Amex a couple of matches ago - and he seemed to be in good health.

Here's an item from shortly after 9/11:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-for-news-of-workers-missing-in-New-York.html

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Also many new members would probably have never even heard of Robert Eaton, such as my self when I joined NSC 3 years ago.

I don't doubt for one minute that the monies raised go to its intended recipients, thankfully without the expensive administration costs, that have plagued the charities set up by Princess Di.

If I got a knock on my front door by someone rattling a tin for donations to assist impoverished kids play sport, I'd think what a cool charity and would happily off load some loose change. Without it even having to be a memorial to someone.

But to contribute to a charity as a means to commemorate someone I think some people would want to know something about that person.
What were they like, did they themselves get involved in charities etc.

There's a whole forum on REMF on the opening page of Nsc just under Nsc Gold. Maybe it needs to be higher up, so that it is more noticeable?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports