Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A BLATANT begging for donations - The REMF.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
REMF seems to now be caught between a rock and a hard place. Openly criticised by a lot people possibly out of jealousy or just to wind people up.

Having been involved providing the ball boys then my son played twice and his brother hopes to play I have personally enjoyed it a lot. When I was a club manager of a youth football club we applied for funds and got them, recently I applied for funding for an individual and was turned down which was fair enough.

Possibly as REMF has gone on so long it is a victim of its own success or maybe due to the recent harsh recession there is more hostility towards charities as incomes have shrunk.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I completed the 52 mile bike ride on Sunday in just over 6 hours. It was a very tough route with 3500 feet of climb. If dougdeep £ 5, Mowgli and Footsoldier £ 20 would be kind enough to add their donations as pledged that would be great as I am sweeping up final donations. If anyone else would be kind enough to donate that would be really fantastic. I am on £ 1842.50 with gift aid at the moment. Thanks to everyone who supported me with this challenge.

US/ Gareth

http://www.justgiving.com/Gareth-Glover6

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I rode the REMF on Sunday, and I didn’t do it for personal ego or for a day out cycling with my chums. I did it because I thought it was about time I undertook a challenge and raised some money for charity. What the name of that charity is called is immaterial; it’s what it does that matters. And, to find out what it does, all one needs to do is click a few links. Surely that is not beyond the wit of any man or woman?

I didn’t know Terry Higgins. He may have been a right ******* and never contributed anything towards charity in his life, but would that stop me contributing towards the Terence Higgins Trust? If I didn’t know what the trust did, would it be beyond me to find out? Do I need to be spoon-fed all this information?

If the words from some posters on here go any way towards discouraging others to participate in future REMF fundraising initiatives, then that would be a real shame – a disaster. It is relatively easy to find out what REMF broadly funds. That discouragement has a real knock-on affect towards REMF’s ability to raise cash and channel towards people that are deserving of its support.

I agree that more transparency on where funds go and how they are distributed would be a good thing. Undoubtedly and improvement in the communication of this would go a long way towards nullifying some future criticisms. However, my fear is that even with such transparency we’ll still see a vocal minority prepared to hurl a few stones.

My hat goes off to the fellow riders from NSC and Palace’s Five Year Plan who put the effort in. Chapeau, as the cycling fraternity would say.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
£ 1948.75 with gift aid. One more donation to come in. It is not too late to try and push me over the £ 2000 barrier kind people. Job done ! Thanks to Footsoldier and dougdeep for their recent donations. Sweeping up the last donations now.

http://www.justgiving.com/Gareth-Glover6/

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Hi Gareth

I told you I would make a donation to the REMF last year. Sorry it has taken me so long!

I was planning to donate as encouragement, instead it's a well done.

The last six months have flown by in our new home with our son being born 3 weeks early....two days after we moved in.

Thanks again for your great mortgage advice.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£ 1948.75 with gift aid. One more donation to come in. It is not too late to try and push me over the £ 2000 barrier kind people. Job done ! Thanks to Footsoldier and dougdeep for their recent donations. Sweeping up the last donations now.

http://www.justgiving.com/Gareth-Glover6/

An astounding effort - very, very well done.

(I'd advise against quoting the Gift Aid as money raised, at least gross, as you seem to be doing. Just Giving claw some of that back as their fee for their service, which comes to around 30% of the Gift Aid total. So, of your current £376.25 Gift Aid total, the REMF will receive c£263.)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

(I'd advise against quoting the Gift Aid as money raised, at least gross, as you seem to be doing. Just Giving claw some of that back as their fee for their service, which comes to around 30% of the Gift Aid total. So, of your current £376.25 Gift Aid total, the REMF will receive c£263.)

Thanks Bozza for your comments would love to get to £ 2000 without gift aid.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thanks to Dan for an amazing contribution.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have broken though the £ 2000 barrier tonight with gift aid. Quite emotional to be honest. It was a Tough challenged tbh, very hard. So happy tonight and thank you all who supported me so much. Gareth x

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Thanks Bozza. Means a lot to me.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have broken though the £ 2000 barrier tonight with gift aid. Quite emotional to be honest. It was a Tough challenged tbh, very hard. So happy tonight and thank you all who supported me so much. Gareth x

Well done Gareth. I hope you're still getting out on your bike. Keep on keeping on!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Top stuff Gareth. I saw the effort you put in on the ride. Believe me, he well and truly earned this two grand. Great work.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well done Gareth. Great effort

Thanks for the kind words Tim. The final team result will be announced shortly but it should be around £ 5500 with gift aid. Team is on 90% of collective target. This will now be an annual event as everyone wants to be a part of it again. Details will be announced next year so feel free if anyone wants to join in. It was a special day and for 25 miles when the rest of the team were ahead I cycled together with a CPFC fan and we pushed each other onto the end. This is what the REMF is all about.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
1368839_10201048281668305_1194559711_n.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cycling through Croydon with that top on was a bit hairy as well !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Behind " enemy " lines. 1369039_10201048152865085_2133971795_n.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Love that picture.

Super Human effort from Gareth.

Next year he is doing Amex to Selhurst and back.

Mark my words. A meer 110 miles

Steady on James ! The final figure for the team with gift aid is £ 5648. Thanks to everyone for their support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here