Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 Games Left - Loan Striker?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No chance.
There's a list of the top 50 Championship goal scorers earlier in the thread.
We have 2 strikers on there, a fair way down the list.

We need someone to come in and score a goal every other game for the remaining 9 fixtures. That's all.

But we have only been outscored by three teams in this division and two of those are far below us and the other is at the top having played a game more. We have scored enough goals, the league table does not lie.

There are teams out there who appear to have the big scoring strikers but Burnley aside it hasn't done them any favours. We have a team and between them our four strikers have all scored point gaining goals and have been backed up by the midfield when they have not been scoring. I'm glad we are not reliant on this one myhtical 20 goal a season striker. I'm glad we have a decent defence, good GK and players who can score from a vriety of positions on the pitch. It is that, that has been our strength this season and why we are currently second.

Whilst I would be more than happy to welcome Murray back for the rest of the season I will not be distraught if CH or the club decide to stick with what we have got.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
But we have only been outscored by three teams in this division and two of those are far below us and the other is at the top having played a game more. We have scored enough goals, the league table does not lie.

I think you've just slightly missing my point, or I'm not being clear enough.

I 110% agree that we've done an excellent job.
We've scored 50 goals so far which puts us up somewhere in the top 4 teams of goals-scored.
We've scored from all over the pitch with everyone mucking in, excellent stuff.

Here's what I'm saying:
We have 9 games left.
I believe that we should bring in a proven goal scorer for the last 8-9 games, in order to improve our chances of finishing in the top 2.
A proven goal scorer is more likely (in my opinion) to score more goals than our current strikers (maybe with exception to Hemed).
More goals = a higher chance of a win.

It goes without saying, bringing in a proven goal-scorer might not pay off.
But why not go for it (by simply improving our odds) when we're this close?

That's all.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Muzza COULD make the difference. Surely worth the wedge with us being sooo close to auto promotion?

'MoM' (laughable BTW) Sam B COULD and SHOULD have won the game for us last night when AK pulled the ball back to him. He is a good L1 striker, an average Championship one. He works hard for the team, assisted the winner last night, but he should NOT be a regular 1st-teamer for us.

It's not even that much wedge. Just 10 weeks wages and considering we were thinking about buying a striker for £6m it would be small change.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think you've just slightly missing my point, or I'm not being clear enough.

I 110% agree that we've done an excellent job.
We've scored 50 goals so far which puts us up somewhere in the top 4 teams of goals-scored.
We've scored from all over the pitch with everyone mucking in, excellent stuff.

Here's what I'm saying:
We have 9 games left.
I believe that we should bring in a proven goal scorer for the last 8-9 games, in order to improve our chances of finishing in the top 2.
A proven goal scorer is more likely (in my opinion) to score more goals than our current strikers (maybe with exception to Hemed).
More goals = a higher chance of a win.

It goes without saying, bringing in a proven goal-scorer might not pay off.
But why not go for it (by simply improving our odds) when we're this close?

That's all.

Fair point well made.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
100% agree, but I'd say using the last 10 in isolation might not be the fairest assessment (due to the 8 in 2).

Like I said, I'd love out current strikers to start banging them in again, but are Hemed/Baldock/Wilson/Zamora going to bang them in?

Brighton have 2 strikers in the top 50 current Championship scorers.

View attachment 73064

Um, I make that 4 in top 50.

only 48 players have scored more than 5 goals this season. That's 2 per club for the whole league. We are above this quota.

Only Burnley & Fulham have 2 players in the top ten and that doesn't guarantee success

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Why does it matter to people that we have a striker who scores prolifically? A goal is a goal, I don't give a toss who scores it. If stockdale scores every goal in nine 1-0 wins, we'll go up.

There's an obsession we seem to have with seeing a strikers name in lights as 'the' top scorer. Look at Blackburn with Rhodes or Fulham with McCormack. If that player leaves or gets injured, they're screwed, because they're one dimensional.

Personally I'd always rather have four players score 5 each than one player score 20. It makes us harder to defend against.

The undeniable FACT is we're already one of the top 4 goalscoring sides in the league. And we have a defence which now hasn't been breached in 5 straight games. We don't need anybody else in, in any position, because on current examination we're the 2nd best team in the league, and already well in the mix for the autos.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I think we're fine with the strikers we've got.

During the early season run we were scoring reasonably well from a range of players. When we hit the skids, and stopped scoring, the issue was the loss of key midfielders and backline. IMO we weren't scoring because the quality supply dried up, not because the strikers weren't good enough. Fast forward to bringing in some quality signings (Knocky, Skalak, etc) and players returning from injury ... we see the strikers suddenly start scoring again and we pick up momentum on the ladder.

Strike force is fine, as long as they're getting the quality supply.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I think the situation is quite straightforward now..

If something comes along in the next few days that improves what we already have then CH will move, he's made it very clear the club is his priority and he seems quite relaxed about making difficult decisions.

I would suggest we are not actively looking to add to the squad but there will be agents actively looking to get players moves in the closing days of the window.

Whether that's Murray or some other striker that improves on what we already have, I've total confidence in CH to make a decision that benefits BHAFC.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
With a strikeforce that 'isn't good enough' an defence that's managed one league goal this season, it's fairly amazing that we're fourth-highest scorers innit.
Rethink required?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Complacency again... do you genuinely belive we would loan someone who would 'unbalance' the squad!? Flawed argument IMHO.

Beg your pardon B.W.
I will try my hardest to avoid any further flawed arguments, genuine disbelief and complacency
I will try my hardest to avoid any further flawed arguments, genuine disbelief and complacency

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No chance.
There's a list of the top 50 Championship goal scorers earlier in the thread.
We have 2 strikers on there, a fair way down the list.

We need someone to come in and score a goal every other game for the remaining 9 fixtures. That's all.

That's because certain managers have decided to blow a lot of money or one or two strikers, and play them for as much as possible -- let's call those Burnley, Boro, Fulham, etc.
Other managers have chosen to get a range of strikers and rotate them, or use them dependent on circumstances, whilst also trying to get others (especially wingers) to chip in -- let's call those Brighton, Hull, etc
As for Derby, well, who can argue with the Derby Way?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Obviously a complete coincidence but in the 20 games he's started for us this season, we're currrently unbeaten.

You and I both know that is too simplistic a stat...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Rubbish. The main reason we are not 'smashing' the league is that we lost a significant number of key players for a prolonged period of time, and we had to make do and mend for a while. When fit the strike force has proved to be more than adequate as our high placing in the goalscoring charts would suggest.

Yes, our dip in form was caused by an injury crisis. Agreed. However, I suggest you think about last night as an example of what clinical finishing can do. Sam B should have scored... others in our team too. Reading should have equalized via John late on. We ran the risk of drawing a game we would have easily won with an Andre G or similar. The margins are wafer thin, and we are not maximizing our chances of the Prem if we stick with our average strike force. IMHO of course. In conclusion, I am not talking 'rubbish', just pointing out the ****ing obvious to most.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here