Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 Games Left - Loan Striker?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Forget another striker which could upset the balance given that the only ones moving on loan will be not playing and short of game time.

I would rather lok at no goals conceded in 4 straight games for the first time since 2004. Being difficult to beat gives a solid platform and confidence that 1 goal is likely to win the game.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hopefully, but most recent form proves otherwise.

Yes, a good example. Wilson's 4th goal in 17 and first since mid-late January.

You don't get promoted by being top of the goal scoring charts although it helps but you seem to be implying thats all thats required and not much else matters.
Wilson , who hasn't started a game since January, secured us a win and 3 points. Job done.
Our defenders and GK did their job. 5th clean sheet in a row. Another factor.

Looking at that top 10 of goal scorers I imagine Fulham fans and Ross McCormack (19 goals)/Dembele (12), Brentford and Alan Judge (14 goals) and Nakhi Wells (14 goals) will be getting in touch with you bewildered that they are in the bottom half of the table not the top.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You don't get promoted by being top of the goal scoring charts although it helps
And at some point this week, Tony Bloom will be looking at every angle in how to help his club get promoted and earn him some well deserved money.
First call, question whether our current strike-force are very likely to outscore the remaining opposition.
If the answer is "possibly not", find someone that will at all costs.

but you seem to be implying thats all thats required and not much else matters.
Point me in the direction of where I've implied that keeping clean sheets, having a solid defense and using our creative wingers (or any other position) doesn't matter?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And at some point this week, Tony Bloom will be looking at every angle in how to help his club get promoted and earn him some well deserved money.
First call, question whether our current strike-force are very likely to outscore the remaining opposition.
If the answer is "possibly not", find someone that will at all costs.

Point me in the direction of where I've implied that keeping clean sheets, having a solid defense and using our creative wingers (or any other position) doesn't matter?

I'm sure you have on NSC but on this thread you were very clear a few posts back that as we only (currently) have 2 strikers in the top 50 of the championship goal scoring lists means we won't outscore the opposition in the last 9 games and thus we won't get promoted.

"based on the actual numbers [the top 50 championship goalscorers list are the numbers you cite], our Strikers don't have it in [them to outscore opponents]."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Muzza COULD make the difference. Surely worth the wedge with us being sooo close to auto promotion?

'MoM' (laughable BTW) Sam B COULD and SHOULD have won the game for us last night when AK pulled the ball back to him. He is a good L1 striker, an average Championship one. He works hard for the team, assisted the winner last night, but he should NOT be a regular 1st-teamer for us.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Murray Thread 1,243.
Forget it. It's never happening. It never was happening. It will not happen.

Barring injury, we have the players to get us promoted.

Possibly, but Muzza would increase the probability of getting up...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm sure you have on NSC but on this thread you were very clear a few posts back that as we only (currently) have 2 strikers in the top 50 of the championship goal scoring lists means we won't outscore the opposition in the last 9 games and thus we won't get promoted.

"based on the actual numbers [the top 50 championship goalscorers list are the numbers you cite], our Strikers don't have it in [them to outscore opponents]."

Yeah, I stand by all of that.

In a perfect world, our team will outscore the opposition in 6+ remaining games, and ultimately secure a top 2 finish.
However, I'm not confident that we can do that against a few of the remaining teams, and think a proven goal scorer will at least improve our chances.

That's all this thread is about.

Possibly, but Muzza would increase the probability of getting up...

This is exactly what I'm trying to get across.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We don't need a loan striker. We have a top quality squad, with just a few injuries -- March, Hunemeier for just a week or so, and now maybe Sidwell. We've got JFC and Ince out on loan. The bench that CH now puts out now looks as strong or nearly as strong as the first 11 he's picking. We're leaving internationals out of the 18, and we've got four strikers with a range of qualities (and Skalak who can also fit in there).
But the most important reason why we don't need a loan striker is that we've got a quite fantastic team/squad morale and ethos, and we don't want to do anything to jeopardise that.

Complacency again... do you genuinely belive we would loan someone who would 'unbalance' the squad!? Flawed argument IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tripe

In the last 10 games the top teams have scored the following:-

Burnley - 18 goals
BHA - 18 goals
Hull - 12 goals (6 of those against Charlton 10 games ago)
Derby - 12 goals
Sheffield Wednesday - 12 goals
'Boro - 10 goals

Yep, we need a loan striker, like a hole in the head...

Stats can 'prove' anything. Sorry, but the only reason we are not smashing this league is our average strike force.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Stats can 'prove' anything. Sorry, but the only reason we are not smashing this league is our average strike force.

Rubbish. The main reason we are not 'smashing' the league is that we lost a significant number of key players for a prolonged period of time, and we had to make do and mend for a while. When fit the strike force has proved to be more than adequate as our high placing in the goalscoring charts would suggest.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Rubbish. The main reason we are not 'smashing' the league is that we lost a significant number of key players for a prolonged period of time, and we had to make do and mend for a while. When fit the strike force has proved to be more than adequate as our high placing in the goalscoring charts would suggest.

This... I think some here would like/expect us to win every game 6-0. sheesh

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
When fit the strike force has proved to be more than adequate as our high placing in the goalscoring charts would suggest.

No chance.
There's a list of the top 50 Championship goal scorers earlier in the thread.
We have 2 strikers on there, a fair way down the list.

We need someone to come in and score a goal every other game for the remaining 9 fixtures. That's all.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Why do we NEED this, we have managed quite well so far!

Ultimately to increase our odds as much as possible to get a top 2 spot.

TB has two options.

1: We have managed quite well so far, we don't need any top scorers as the team may get some good results and work really hard for a top 2 finish. Let's leave it to chance.

2: We have managed quite well so far, we haven't needed any top scorers as we are 2nd/3rd in the league. The team may get some good results and work really hard for a top 2 finish, but let's bring in someone who we know is likely to score more goals than Wilson/Zamora/Baldock.
More goals = higher chance of a win.
We're still leaving it to chance, but we've brought someone in who we are sure will score more goals, so our chances have improved.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ultimately to increase our odds as much as possible to get a top 2 spot.

TB has two options.

1: We have managed quite well so far, we don't need any top scorers as the team may get some good results and work really hard for a top 2 finish. Let's leave it to chance.

2: We have managed quite well so far, we haven't needed any top scorers as we are 2nd/3rd in the league. The team may get some good results and work really hard for a top 2 finish, but let's bring in someone we know is very likely to score more goals than Wilson/Zamora/Baldock will score as more goals = higher chance of a win. We're still leaving it to chance, but we've brought someone in who we are sure will score more goals, so our chance has improved.

Who are you, Mystic Meg (it's my age)?

How do you KNOW who is going to score more goals?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Who are you, Mystic Meg (it's my age)?

How do you KNOW who is going to score more goals?

"Likely" being the key word in the post (you highlighted it).

I can't really make it any simpler for you.

9 games left. Add an extra striker (proven goal scorer) to the squad = higher chance of win, more chance of a top 2 finish.
9 games left. As we are = a gamble I doubt TB will want to take.

Just wait and see what happens in the next 2 weeks.
I'm sure TB will bring someone in for the reasons I've stated.
If not, bounce the thread etc, etc.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
"Likely" being the key word in the post (you highlighted it).

I can't really make it any simpler for you.

9 games left. Add an extra striker (proven goal scorer) to the squad = higher chance of win, more chance of a top 2 finish.
9 games left. As we are = a gamble I doubt TB will want to take.

Just wait and see what happens in the next 2 weeks.
I'm sure TB will bring someone in for the reasons I've stated.
If not, bounce the thread etc, etc.

You have used the words and phrases, know, very likely and sure will score - all seem to indicate a degree of certainty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here