Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 Games Left - Loan Striker?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You can't take 3 games in isolation and use that as evidence to prove a point, or you could take the previous 3 to these, where we scored 9 in 3 and say, "look, we are banging them in"...

100% agree, but I'd say using the last 10 in isolation might not be the fairest assessment (due to the 8 in 2).

Like I said, I'd love out current strikers to start banging them in again, but are Hemed/Baldock/Wilson/Zamora going to bang them in?

Brighton have 2 strikers in the top 50 current Championship scorers.

1.JPG

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The most important quality we require for the run in is teamwork. At the moment we have a team, a group of players that know each other really well, appear to get along very well and work for each other. The reaction of the players at the final whistle last night demonstrated their desire for me. I am not sure we now have the time to integrate someone new into the line up.

Now that everyone is more or less fit we have two mobile strikers in Baldock and Wilson, and two more physical strikers in Hemed and Zamora. We have pace and creativity out wide in the form of Murphy, Knocky a returning Kaz and Skalek with kayal and Stephens anchoring the side in the middle. Then you look at the back four with a returning Bong strenghtening the FB positions and a solid partnership of Dunk and Goldson in the midle with GG in the wings if needed.

These players have got us to this position, I have every confidence they can finish the job. I believe they are in it #together.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its a very tricky call this one now.

I have been calling for Murrays return for some time... simply because he is better than what we have.

And i am still concerned that any sort of injury to Hemed and we cant rely on Zamora to play, leaving us screwed for that hold up front man player...

So its still a yes from me for that extra front man. GM please.

Say Zamora or Hemed are out for a month, this place would be in meltdown as to why we have not got another body in for the run in.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
100% agree, but I'd say using the last 10 in isolation might not be the fairest assessment (due to the 8 in 2).

Like I said, I'd love out current strikers to start banging them in again, but are Hemed/Baldock/Wilson/Zamora going to bang them in?

Brighton have 2 strikers in the top 50 current Championship scorers.

View attachment 73064

Yet only 3 teams in the Championship (Burnley, Sheff Wed and Fulham) have scored more goals - as said, football is a team game and goals are scored by the team!

As demonstrated by Fulham it's not just about scoring goals.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Its a very tricky call this one now.

I have been calling for Murrays return for some time... simply because he is better than what we have.

And i am still concerned that any sort of injury to Hemed and we cant rely on Zamora to play, leaving us screwed for that hold up front man player...

So its still a yes from me for that extra front man. GM please.

That's the deal, if we lose Hemed for even just a couple of games, the stats above (post #21) show that we don't have the firepower to keep us in the running.
We want to be confident in being able to score on average 2 goals per game for the last 9 games (18 goals) which is what both Hemed and Zamora have scored combined all season.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yet only 3 teams in the Championship (Burnley, Sheff Wed and Fulham) have scored more goals - as said, football is a team game and goals are scored by the team!

As demonstrated by Fulham it's not just about scoring goals.

Well I love the optimism, and hopefully with some almighty luck our players will outscore the opposition in at least 5-6 of the remaining games.
Genuinely on your side here, but based on the actual numbers, our Strikers don't have it in them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Lets use the entire season then.
Why out of Albion (50 goals scored) , Boro (47) , Hull (50), Derby (50) are Albion not well placed to continue scoring to remain in the top 2 or keep up there.
Why is the grass always greener.

If our striking line up for the 37 games of the season has meant we've kept pace with everyone else in terms of goals scored why the assumption that its not possible for the remaining 9 ? If anything they've been scoring more in the 2nd half of the season than the first with Baldock returning. And Hemed regaining some of his early season form.
And Wilson might be fits and starts but by god he's clinical.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
We're a team - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and nothing should be done to upset the togetherness of the squad. Given that we're also joint fourth highest scorers, I say no to any striker coming in now.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Lets use the entire season then.
Why out of Albion (50 goals scored) , Boro (47) , Hull (50), Derby (50) are Albion not well placed to continue scoring to remain in the top 2 or keep up there.
Why is the grass always greener.

If our striking line up for the 37 games of the season has meant we've kept pace with everyone else in terms of goals scored why the assumption that its not possible for the remaining 9 ? If anything they've been scoring more in the 2nd half of the season than the first with Baldock returning. And Hemed regaining some of his early season form.
And Wilson might be fits and starts but by god he's clinical.

All very true, as long as our strikers stay fit... as I say an injury to Hemed and what do we have in back up for his role.... Bobby who can play 45 mins a week when we are playing twice a week largely...?

Hemed gets injured saturday or on international duty for a month and we would have to do something...we need better cover

I really think it would be silly if we dont get something done for the final 2 months of the season.
We are talking maybe a 150k to get Murray or another in for the final 6 weeks of the season.

Its a no brainer for me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All very true, as long as our strikers stay fit... as I say an injury to Hemed and what do we have in back up for his role.... Bobby who can play 45 mins a week when we are playing twice a week largely...?

Hemed gets injured saturday or on international duty for a month and we would have to do something...we need better cover

I really think it would be silly if we dont get something done for the final 2 months of the season.
We are talking maybe a 150k to get Murray or another in for the final 6 weeks of the season.

Its a no brainer for me.

Was Wilson stepping in for Hemed last night something I missed?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All very true, as long as our strikers stay fit... as I say an injury to Hemed and what do we have in back up for his role....

Yes. If a striker like Wilson , Hemed or Baldock was seriously injured and out for the season on either international duty / MK Dons then i would expect Hughton to be looking for back up before window closes.
PS: Assumption has to be Bournemouth won't release Murray or Hughton doesn't think he'd fit in the squad or he'd already be here. What other strikers kicking their heels and available would suffice ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Was Wilson stepping in for Hemed last night something I missed?

err yes please read what i said........I am saying that without Hemed we cant rely on zamora to be fit to play that back to goal hold up striker, the ball didnt stick up front all night last and that was a problem.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Its a no brainer for me.

Is he going to get called up for his Israeli National Service then?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yes. If a striker like Wilson , Hemed or Baldock was seriously injured and out for the season on either international duty / MK Dons then i would expect Hughton to be looking for back up before window closes.
PS: Assumption has to be Bournemouth won't release Murray or Hughton doesn't think he'd fit in the squad or he'd already be here. What other strikers kicking their heels and available would suffice ?

Until the last 2 weeks Bournemouth were not safe, they really are now. And Wilson is also close to fitness for them, i really think we could get GM, they can always have a recall option if required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here