Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 8th ? , Conference (7th), or Europa (6th)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If all of these fairly reasonable things happen:

Spurs fail to beat Brentford
Aston Villa lose to Liverpool
We beat Southampton

then we are essentially guaranteed sixth place on goal difference NEXT WEEKEND.
Or we could do it before our match with Southampton if we beat Newcastle

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If all of these fairly reasonable things happen:

Spurs fail to beat Brentford
Aston Villa lose to Liverpool
We beat Southampton

then we are essentially guaranteed sixth place on goal difference NEXT WEEKEND.
IF Villa were to beat Liverpool, rather than anyone soiling their sheets, I dare say we’d have a good chance of finishing 5th…

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Seriously? No we ****ing don't want Villa to beat Liverpool. Who gives a shit about 5th instead of 6th - the prize is the same.
Well yes it is. Except we have the chance to be the 5th best team instead of the 6th best team in the country. The chance to finish higher in the league that Liverpool, which we've never done and may never do again.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Would prefer the conference league , as you get some very good teams in the Europa cup , plus Champion league teams joining the competition
I know others have pointed out you go straight into groups at Europa (6th) to you but also worth noting, if we finish THIRD out of 4 in those groups, we drop into the LAST 16 of the Europa Conference league. 6th is much more appealing really.

Many seem to be talking about our chances of winning X comp in Europe. I’m not looking at it like that - just want to see us play in Europe, so 7th would do, but I really want 6th to guarantee group stage but also it’s the better comp and we could still drop into conf league by finishing 3rd in our Europa group…

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well yes it is. Except we have the chance to be the 5th best team instead of the 6th best team in the country. The chance to finish higher in the league that Liverpool, which we've never done and may never do again.
Pah - not worth that chance for the risk of missing 6th/7th.

It's all about getting into Europe, finishing above Liverpool matters not

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My heart says 7th, my head says 8th.
The Everton result must play in the player's heads and the injuries are starting to hit home.
Oh well just out the door heading to Arsenal, ask me again tonight.
Asking @Arkwright ? 😀

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I know others have pointed out you go straight into groups at Europa (6th) to you but also worth noting, if we finish THIRD out of 4 in those groups, we drop into the LAST 16 of the Europa Conference league. 6th is much more appealing really.

Many seem to be talking about our chances of winning X comp in Europe. I’m not looking at it like that - just want to see us play in Europe, so 7th would do, but I really want 6th to guarantee group stage but also it’s the better comp and we could still drop into conf league by finishing 3rd in our Europa group…
Technically if you finish 3rd in your Europa League group you don't drop into the last 16 of the Conference League. The 8 third place teams enter into a Knock-out play off round against the 8 Conference League group runners up. The winners of those ties go through to the last 16 with the group winners.

The same format applies to Europa League involving the group runners up and the Champions League 3rd place teams as well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That's an insane price bearing in mind our fixtures. We really needed a draw or a Villa defeat yesterday. I'm hoping for seventh and resigned to eighth.
That Villa result surely helps us get top 6… especially now. Now it looks a good result…

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Technically if you finish 3rd in your Europa League group you don't drop into the last 16 of the Conference League. The 8 third place teams enter into a Knock-out play off round against the 8 Conference League group runners up. The winners of those ties go through to the last 16 with the group winners.

The same format applies to Europa League involving the group runners up and the Champions League 3rd place teams as well.
Ah yes I wasn’t sure when I wrote that if it was 32 or 16 sort of thing. It’s a new thing since the conference was introduced I think.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we were to beat Newcastle in the week, we’d be 5 points behind them with a game in hand.

That game in hand may will be ManCity having already won and been presented with the PL trophy with 2 cup finals to prepare for.

Not sure RDZ and the players will be ruling 4th place out just yet. Unlikely, but beat Newcastle and Villa winning at Anfield, and that isn’t out of the equation….

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If we were to beat Newcastle in the week, we’d be 5 points behind them with a game in hand.

That game in hand may will be ManCity having already won and been presented with the PL trophy with 2 cup finals to prepare for.

Not sure RDZ and the players will be ruling 4th place out just yet. Unlikely, but beat Newcastle and Villa winning at Anfield, and that isn’t out of the equation….
Ask me after Thurs but I imagine to be safe we’ll be wanting Villa to not win at Anfield. I did have the same thought as you earlier then told myself not to be silly!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here