50% of Brighton fans are gay

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
By making such a stupid and unfounded statement, surely she's just playing into the hands of the away fans who once they get wind of this will have even more reason to continue with the homophobic abuse...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
About 25% of my friends are gay.

Exactly 0% of those are Brighton fans.

About 75% of my friends are not gay.

Exactly 0% of those are Brighton fans.

Statistics eh?

I think we need to break down the gayness of our support by stands.

My gaydar on the Amex is this -

North Stand - 95 % gay (glowsticks/banners etc)
East Stand Family area - 5 % gay (as same sex parenting is rife in Hangleton)
East Stand Upper - 70 % (very quite and well dressed)
South Stand - 10 % (changes on a match to match basis)
WSU - 0 % - (very manly in our area)
WSL - 70 % gay (very bitchy yet like Ashley Barnes)
Corporate - 100 % gay
Away support 0% gay.

Which I think averages out at about 50 % gay - so Liz is spot on as normal.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ridiculous statement and one I presume she understands the inaccuracy of.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Surely she was just using hyperbole to make a point? That's fine by me, I'm proud that Brighton is known as the gay capital of the country.
Exactly. Why would it matter if 50% of the crowd were gay?

By making such a stupid and unfounded statement, surely she's just playing into the hands of the away fans who once they get wind of this will have even more reason to continue with the homophobic abuse...

Why would it increase?

Liz gets interviewed by the Argus & Radio Sussex on a regular basis as the media rep on the Supporters' Club committee. She turns down lots of interviews as she doesn't want to comment on them and they are sometimes on a subject where she doesn't feel the view is relevant. The phone calls can even be intrusive as we found out spending time with her in Portugal last preseason.
If you don't like her as vice chair of the Supporters' club then join it and vote her out.
I'm surprised that so many feel the need to post her photograph and mock a female pensioner who takes care of the disabled and elderly fans some of whom have been supporting the Albion since before the Second World war, on away trips. She also helped on the Falmer for All committee who helped win the stadium with hours & hours of hard work. Players who have had testimonials recently and currently have chosen her to be on their testimonial committee because of all her hard work.
You may not agree with her views but keep the discussion on subject rather than make personal abusive comments about her. For those who also want to make comments about her relationships, she lives with John Lees the Radio Sussex sports presenter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Read an article somewhere that 1 in 5 are gay or homosexual leanings,that means everywhere....so that every match you go to, look around....every fifth one ......

no it doesnt. nationwide gay population is much less than 20% and i recall that the oft cited 10% is a finger in the wind. Football fans are not representitive of the general population, for a start the crowds aren't ~50% women. some groups arent interested in some pasttimes and interests. its quite resonable given the longer history of football that very few gay men are attracted to it, of all those i've come across only one i know is a hard footie fan.

Last edited:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
1) most brighton fans are born in brighton or sussex
2) the reason for brightons high gay population is that a lot of gay people MOVE to brighton......being born in brighton makes you no more or less likely to be gay than anywhere else in the country
3) we may pick up SOME gay fans who have moved to brighton, but nowhere NEAR 50%.....probably not even 5%

This.

It is no more likely for a Brighton fan to be gay than ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE COUNTRY. Gay people/gay couples move to Brighton - as adults - from other parts of the country, because they hear it is "gay-friendly" / has a gay scene. Simples. Opposition fans are too thick to understand this.

Its like people genuinely believe that if you are given birth to in a BN postcode you are genetically more likely to be gay.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I reckon she's gay herself.

When asked if she welcomed the report, she replied " they're giving lip service to it". Wrong phrase?

She's a total bint, and not in a good way.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Sorry if this was said in an early post but not read all 4 pages.

Okay I agree that the 50% figure is going to be wrong. However from reading the 1st page it seems people are offended by the suggestion. I think as a club we should be proud that someone would suggest that figure. Football is seen by many as a heterosexual male sport. If the club is able to do something about changing that it can only be a good thing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just shows how out of touch Radio Sussex are IMO. If they wanted the truth on this subject why didn't they talk to The Justin Campaign instead of some clapped out grandma?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
She's the vice chairman of the supporters club.

The supporter's club has a vice section?

That's scary. The thought of ***** ***** doing an enormous **** on a (heavily reinforced) Ikea glass coffee table whilst the likes of *** and *** ***** are underneath ******* themselves off puts me off my Shreddies. I just hope the new software that Bozza has installed to prevent Google Ads picking up disgusting phrases or images in the head is working!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The supporter's club has a vice section?

That's scary. The thought of ***** ***** doing an enormous **** on a (heavily reinforced) Ikea glass coffee table whilst the likes of *** and *** ***** are underneath ******* themselves off puts me off my Shreddies. I just hope the new software that Bozza has installed to prevent Google Ads picking up disgusting phrases or images in the head is working!

I've already filled in those blanks.

*throws up Shreddies*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports