***2013 Worlds Hardest Creature Competition- Semi Finals- Honey Badger vs Crocodile***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Semi Final 2

• Honey Badger

Votes: 77 49.0%
  • Crocodile

Votes: 80 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've been waiting for you to join the fray.

HB's aren't the definition of hardness. At most they're a good example of a tough little bugger up for a fight. Being hard is so much more than just a willingness to fight. Being hard is fighting, doling out the beatings and when its time taking one too. It's about being able to suffer and endure things that would make most run off crying, or in nature, die.

The crocodile does all of these things. The Honey badger does to an extent but just can't match the croc.

The croc is the pinnacle of animal evolution. The croc has the strength-in real and comparative terms. The croc can survive and kill with missing limbs. The honey badger can't. The croc has outlived the dinosaurs. The honey badger hasn't.

And the castration thing is a MYTH. There is absolutely no documented evidence of the Honey badger ever having castrated an animal. It's a desperate myth put out there by desperate fanboys and does your cause no favours.

I see you've ignored the fight vs a whole pride of lions and attacking a hive of killer bees.

Typical anti-badger bias.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I see you've ignored the fight vs a whole pride of lions and attacking a hive of killer bees.

Typical anti-badger bias.

Tough little bugger up for a fight. I gave him his due.

Can a honey badger survive without a limb?
no? not as hard as a croc then.

Does the honey badger pack as much of a punch as the croc? No? Not as hard as the croc then.

Has the honey badger outlived the dinosaurs? No? Not as hard as the croc then.

Has the honey badger reached the pinnacle of animal evolution? No? Not as hard as the croc then.

Can the honey badger go a year without eating? No? Not as (survival) hard as the croc then.

Can the honey badger eat anything? No? Not as hard as the croc then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This honey badger thing would have literally no chance in a head to head scrap with the big lizard.

Croc for me (single, not Golden, vote for now).

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
il_fullxfull.278922271.jpg

Honey Badgers other name in Africa:

Ratel, probably refers to the rattling sound they make when they are frightened and was probably taken from the Afrikaans language common in the Cape.

Probably from shaking so much their little teeth chatter after seeing a Croc, f***ing poof.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Tough little bugger up for a fight. I gave him his due.

Can a honey badger survive without a limb?
no? not as hard as a croc then.

Does the honey badger pack as much of a punch as the croc? No? Not as hard as the croc then.

Has the honey badger outlived the dinosaurs? No? Not as hard as the croc then.

Has the honey badger reached the pinnacle of animal evolution? No? Not as hard as the croc then.

Can the honey badger go a year without eating? No? Not as (survival) hard as the croc then.

Can the honey badger eat anything? No? Not as hard as the croc then.

Congratulations. All of this is complete tosh. Particularly the bit about 'pinnacle of animal evolution'. Evolution doesn't head towards a pinnacle but, well, evolves. Crocs weren't around with dinosaurs - their ancestors were. Exactly the same as Honey Badgers which are equally 'perfectly evolved'.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
This honey badger thing would have literally no chance in a head to head scrap with the big lizard.

OK. So this is a monitor lizard, not a croc, but check it out. Monitor lizard comes looking to eat a honey badger. Honey badger wakes up, bites lizard on the nose, gets it in a grip, puts the lizard's eyes out, and kills the bugger right there.

It seems that honey badger really don't give a shit.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
What's this? Two hours and no riposte? Is the honey badger's "putting out the eyes" trick going to be the last word on this matter? There's still 12 hours to go until the polls close so where's all the campaigning?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Congratulations. All of this is complete tosh. Particularly the bit about 'pinnacle of animal evolution'. Evolution doesn't head towards a pinnacle but, well, evolves. Crocs weren't around with dinosaurs - their ancestors were. Exactly the same as Honey Badgers which are equally 'perfectly evolved'.

Really? Dinosaurs went extinct about 65million years ago: National Museum of Natural History - Dinosaurs

The croc as we know it evolved about 80million years ago It has changed little since. Supersize Crocs - Crocodile Secrets of Survival | Nature | PBS

You're right to say that it hasn't stopped evolving, evolution is after all an ongoing process. However, it has changed little in the last 80million years. The crocodile fossils of 80million years ago are extremely similar to their skeletons now. Its rate of change is incredibly slow as it doesn't need anything else to survive, it fits its niche perfectly. Which is as close to evolutionary perfection as is possible, IMO.

Honey badgers did not exist 65million years ago. As you say an ancestor that was NOT the honey badger was around. ' The species first appeared during the middle Pliocene in Asia.' ( Honey badger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) The Pliocene was 5.3m - 2.5 million years ago.

The crocodile was. I'm not sure how you can argue against that, to be honest.

As for the rest: I gave a link to show that the crocodile has the strongest recorded bite. In case you missed it, here it is: Crocodiles Have Strongest Bite Ever Measured, Hands-on Tests Show

It can survive with missing limbs: 'A croc can survive even after serious injuries such as a torn off limbs or tail and has a powerful immune system that helps it survive for decades' taken from: Supersize Crocs - Crocodile Secrets of Survival | Nature | PBS

'big crocodiles can go for more than a year without feeding' Nile Crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus) facts are stranger than fiction

They can eat anything: 'Crocodiles have the most acidic stomach known in any vertebrate, which allows them to digest everything they eat including bone' Nile Crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus) facts are stranger than fiction

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A croc will take on ANYTHING, easy vote.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly. You can't read this and seriously consider voting badger. 200-300 million years of evolution - what a beast. WHAT a beast!

I've gone croc. It just had to be done.

For some reason it's taken me this long in life to realise it's BASICALLY a living dinosaur. It's got a dinosaur name. It's got dinosaur skin and it's got those weedy dinosaur arms.

It's hard and it's cool. I'm going CROC.

Really? Dinosaurs went extinct about 65million years ago: National Museum of Natural History - Dinosaurs

The croc as we know it evolved about 80million years ago It has changed little since. Supersize Crocs - Crocodile Secrets of Survival | Nature | PBS

You're right to say that it hasn't stopped evolving, evolution is after all an ongoing process. However, it has changed little in the last 80million years. The crocodile fossils of 80million years ago are extremely similar to their skeletons now. Its rate of change is incredibly slow as it doesn't need anything else to survive, it fits its niche perfectly. Which is as close to evolutionary perfection as is possible, IMO.

Honey badgers did not exist 65million years ago. As you say an ancestor that was NOT the honey badger was around. ' The species first appeared during the middle Pliocene in Asia.' ( Honey badger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) The Pliocene was 5.3m - 2.5 million years ago.

The crocodile was. I'm not sure how you can argue against that, to be honest.

As for the rest: I gave a link to show that the crocodile has the strongest recorded bite. In case you missed it, here it is: Crocodiles Have Strongest Bite Ever Measured, Hands-on Tests Show

It can survive with missing limbs: 'A croc can survive even after serious injuries such as a torn off limbs or tail and has a powerful immune system that helps it survive for decades' taken from: Supersize Crocs - Crocodile Secrets of Survival | Nature | PBS

'big crocodiles can go for more than a year without feeding' Nile Crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus) facts are stranger than fiction

They can eat anything: 'Crocodiles have the most acidic stomach known in any vertebrate, which allows them to digest everything they eat including bone' Nile Crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus) facts are stranger than fiction

Does this not all make it a bit of a lazy fucker rather than hard? It can go for a year without eating, so is that why it sits around almost the majority of the time on the river bank not giving a shit, then once a year might try and grab a few baby wilder beast? Has it survived this long because it's ducked out of territorial fights most of it's existence, and because of it's scaly skin and acidic stomach, no other fucker wants to eat it, so nothing much attacks it? The only things that do attack it are Hippo's and they often get the better of them.

This evolutionary thing suggests to me the croc has played it safe for 80million years, dodged the big fights, if I was a crocodile I wouldn't let those fat f***ing hippos take over my manor scaring all my dinner off? Does the croc do anything? No, just sits there with it's blank stare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports