[Albion] 2 signings now needed?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The big problem is that players will hold out until the last minute for the best deal and you also have the domino effect of other transfers impacting your targets.

Can't slag the club off until the deadline has passed and they haven't got what they wanted.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
The media narrative is we already have replacements in our squad, I’m saying it’s not always the case. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m also saying we had 4-5 months to find a Caicedo replacement and we haven’t as of yet.
I think the club feel they have, but all the dolly's have to line up with Lille and their replacement before he signs for us. Don't forget Caicedo went for record bucks so it was obvious that negotiations would be long and protracted.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Again there's nothing to suggest RDZ is "cheesed off" , annoyed or not being backed. he's been refreshingly honest in a press conference about what his squad needs, i'm sure he's made that clear to Bloom and Barber , I doubt they are in any way surprised - given the ins/outs and planning they've done leading up to this point, and i'm sure they're getting a few deals over the line in time for next Friday. (as long as its right for the squad but also the way the club works)

Honestly - the desire to create a drama when its not there.
No drama. Just remember PB saying if a player leaves they always have a 1st 2nd and 3rd choice lined up to take there place. Last week of window leaves it tight to agree terms with club and player plus medical. Hopefully any player we are interested in we started negotiations some time ago because not Blooms style to be forced into a panic buy.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I agree we knew Caicedo was going months ago so I can only presume things have not gone smoothly on our approach to players.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I’ll judge the clubs transfer business when the transfer window closes rather than jump on the ‘bed wetting’ going on here.

Club always keeps it’s cards close to its chest and I have every confidence of quality additions come the end of the window.

To quote PBOBE, “There are going be 1,000 stories, sometimes a day, and 999 of them are going to be untrue.”

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree we knew Caicedo was going months ago so I can only presume things have not gone smoothly on our approach to players.
Or that we’d already sat down with RDZ and agreed that Gilmour would step up this season, we’ll bring in Dahoud who brings something different and assuming Caicedo goes then we’ll start putting the feelers out to a player like Baleba . As for how things have gone - then again I’ve no idea behind the scenes - but a willingness to assume it’s not gone smoothly - fair enough. Half empty ! I get it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes. I'm sure Albion and everyone else would like the transfer window to shut on August 1st not Sept 1st with everything wrapped up before the start of matches. But its not. So they just have to work with that. They've done a lot of business and have some still to do. And incomings are often dependent on other transfers/ins/outs . Hardly means we're struggling. Has anyone completed their business yet ?
I've always said the incoming window should shut at midnight on the day before that league's first round of matches - so at 12:01am on Friday 11th this season no more incomings for any Premier League side. You can tie outgoings to that too or keep a short outgoings window to other leagues yet to start, it doesn't really matter. But it's a nonsense that teams can play three or four game rounds and still bring in other players.

I'm sure that's how it worked a couple of seasons ago. Whether that was Covid or Euros / Winter World Cup I'm not sure. But it should be every season. So much of this Twitter inspired bullshit would be put to one side if it was.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You cant carry ready made replacements of that quality as they wont be happy sitting around waiting. The Cucurella example is a rubbish one. Within weeks we replaced him with a far better player. How good do you want us to be?
Wasn't it about 15 days between Sideshow Bob pissing off to Chelsea and Perv arriving? That's pretty good going and suggest that the club DOES, in fact, have replacements lined up (a selection of them), but they are just not on the club's book, for very obvious reasons.

I can't quite believe this whole 'the club is going to let RDZ down' narrative is being allowed to fester and grow on here and elsewhere. No-one has a clue what's going on. We don't know the situation with potential targets and they could stall or, ultimately, fail for a number of reasons. Just because they do, it doesn't mean anyone has been 'let down' FFS. And how do we know that more easily available targets have been identified and RDZ has turned them down?

The squad is pretty deep and, while Enciso is a big loss, there are players who can step up. Having said that, I have no doubt that more players will come in because, in transfer window terms, there is loads of time.

TL;DR? People need to chill the fack out a bit.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The media narrative is we already have replacements in our squad, I’m saying it’s not always the case. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m also saying we had 4-5 months to find a Caicedo replacement and we haven’t as of yet.
No it isn't. It's that replacements are identified and the club acts on them when situations arise – such as Caicedo leaving. Why would a Caicedo replacement be recruited when the player they are replacing is still here? I get that happened with, say Bissouma, but the club is fishing in very different, more expensive waters, now.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Here so much from PB that they have people ready to come in for all positions. Lets now see if he is right
That isn’t what he said though. He said they have a list of key personnel and shortlists on who they’d like to replace them if necessary. That doesn’t mean they are ready to come in as these people have choices of their own to make.

It also doesn’t necessarily cover playing positions as we track many many players for each position and our exact requirement on who we need to recruit can change depending on squad needs, who is out on loan and in this case an injury to what could be a key player.

We probably weren’t looking at another Enciso type player but we’ve now got to start working through that short list and see if we can recruit someone. It’s not going to happen overnight.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've always said the incoming window should shut at midnight on the day before that league's first round of matches - so at 12:01am on Friday 11th this season no more incomings for any Premier League side. You can tie outgoings to that too or keep a short outgoings window to other leagues yet to start, it doesn't really matter. But it's a nonsense that teams can play three or four game rounds and still bring in other players.

I'm sure that's how it worked a couple of seasons ago. Whether that was Covid or Euros / Winter World Cup I'm not sure. But it should be every season. So much of this Twitter inspired bullshit would be put to one side if it was.
The Premier League closed the transfer window before the season started for the 18-19 season. Clubs felt it left them at at disadvantage against other European counties who kept their windows open for the normal month after the season started and it was dropped after that one year.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do the rules explicitly say anything about
a) Divinities in the team or squad,
1692977044162.png

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If there are no suitable targets that fulfil the Albion’s criteria (budgetary, talent, fit and NDP) then no one has been let down; let alone massively.
Exactly . . . We're better off as we are than with the wrong person/persons joining.

In a similar vein, some clubs have a massive bellend policy, typically ones in London with blue kits and Russian or American owners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports