[Albion] 2 signings now needed?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It is intriguing before the season even finished we announced Caicedo & Mac were off, as well as losing Mwepu last season - but we’ve not really planned ahead for it and are struggling to secure targets.

Bit of a blot on our normally excellent record / dealings
Baleba is a target and we're just waiting for them to get their replacement in according to the latest reporting. Sounds like its going to be a cool £30m.
Kudus - we walked away from the deal it appears. Probably the right thing to do given - according to reports - his behaviour.

As for other targets then Dahoud, Pedro , Verbruggen, Milner and Igor have all been secured. Three of them have already started in the first team.
And Adingra looks a great addition to the squad.

There's really nothing to suggest that we're not going to get several signings over the line before next Friday if we need them or that RDZ is not being "backed".

Not sure why this is "intriguing" or "struggling" or translates as "not really planned ahead". Nearly every club is still doing business in this window.
Sounds like totally normal to me and perplexing when you can't move for articles or pundits saying top of the league Brighton are the best club at recruitment in er, the world.

Oh well. Tough crowd.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
From the squad that started last season we've made the following changes:

Igor - Colwill
Bart - Sanchez
Joao Pedro - Undav
Adingra - Sarmiento
Buonanotte - Trossard
Dahoud - MacAllister
Milner - Caicedo
Alzate - Mwepu

Which is one-out one-in but it certainly feels weaker, and with the extra games in Europe i thought we wanted to be stronger. Encisos injury and Moder not close to returning doesn't help. We need at least a couple more.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It is intriguing before the season even finished we announced Caicedo & Mac were off, as well as losing Mwepu last season - but we’ve not really planned ahead for it and are struggling to secure targets.

Pedro was in before McAllister officially left, Dahoud long awaited extra instead of Mwepu along with Milner , only caicedo we not replaced that I can see but that seems to be inching forward and he is the hardest of all to replace. Only gap will now be the Ensico player but that was unexpected and let’s see if club can get something done before the end of the window

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I hope not but this could be first time DE Zerbi is cheesed off. With the money we have got in No excuses for not getting someone in. Especially with all PBs talk of always having ready replacements for anybody leaving.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I hope not but this could be first time DE Zerbi is cheesed off. With the money we have got in No excuses for not getting someone in. Especially with all PBs talk of always having ready replacements for anybody leaving.
Club will clearly have ideas but transfers are generally more than just throwing money at the situation. Club isn’t going to break the model just because we have a couple extra quid

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Again there's nothing to suggest RDZ is "cheesed off" , annoyed or not being backed. he's been refreshingly honest in a press conference about what his squad needs, i'm sure he's made that clear to Bloom and Barber , I doubt they are in any way surprised - given the ins/outs and planning they've done leading up to this point, and i'm sure they're getting a few deals over the line in time for next Friday. (as long as its right for the squad but also the way the club works)

Honestly - the desire to create a drama when its not there.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He was stroppy in January as well but cheered up when we held on to caicedo.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Baleba is a target and we're just waiting for them to get their replacement in according to the latest reporting. Sounds like its going to be a cool £30m.
Kudus - we walked away from the deal it appears. Probably the right thing to do given - according to reports - his behaviour.

As for other targets then Dahoud, Pedro , Verbruggen, Milner and Igor have all been secured. Three of them have already started in the first team.
And Adingra looks a great addition to the squad.

There's really nothing to suggest that we're not going to get several signings over the line before next Friday if we need them or that RDZ is not being "backed".

Not sure why this is "intriguing" or "struggling" or translates as "not really planned ahead". Nearly every club is still doing business in this window.
Sounds like totally normal to me and perplexing when you can't move for articles or pundits saying top of the league Brighton are the best club at recruitment in er, the world.

Oh well. Tough crowd.

We are struggling because unless I’ve misunderstood, we will be 3 league games in and seemingly RDZ wants 2 more ‘quality’ players in. Given we knew 2 key players were leaving end of last season, I think it’s not ideal to be going down to the wire

Do you not think everyone would have preferred at least 1 more in for pre season ? Given how known the Caicedo situation was

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
About time we got our skates on and our wads of dough out.
DALL·E 2023-08-25 15.11.29 - two men wearing blue business suits and roller skates holding dough.png

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are struggling because unless I’ve misunderstood, we will be 3 league games in and seemingly RDZ wants 2 more ‘quality’ players in. Given we knew 2 key players were leaving end of last season, I think it’s not ideal to be going down to the wire

Do you not think everyone would have preferred at least 1 more in for pre season ? Given how known the Caicedo situation was

Yes. I'm sure Albion and everyone else would like the transfer window to shut on August 1st not Sept 1st with everything wrapped up before the start of matches. But its not. So they just have to work with that. They've done a lot of business and have some still to do. And incomings are often dependent on other transfers/ins/outs . Hardly means we're struggling. Has anyone completed their business yet ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Albion are the club praised as planning ahead with recruitment. You clearly don't think so. Fair enough.

I think we recruit very well, but I’m not sure about planning ahead. We didn’t have a Cucurella replacement in already, neither do we for Caicedo. You can argue we are light in LB as well really

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

Of course we have planned ahead for it, in fact we bought Jaoa Pedro in before we sold Mac and I'd argue he will be a much better attacking mid than Mac in time. Also, unfortunately for us, sometimes teams wont sell for our price, and players like Kudus want things like release fees which we wont entertain. I have zero concerns we wont have a very competitive squad.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I think we recruit very well, but I’m not sure about planning ahead. We didn’t have a Cucurella replacement in already, neither do we for Caicedo. You can argue we are light in LB as well really
You cant carry ready made replacements of that quality as they wont be happy sitting around waiting. The Cucurella example is a rubbish one. Within weeks we replaced him with a far better player. How good do you want us to be?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You cant carry ready made replacements of that quality as they wont be happy sitting around waiting. The Cucurella example is a rubbish one. Within weeks we replaced him with a far better player. How good do you want us to be?

The media narrative is we already have replacements in our squad, I’m saying it’s not always the case. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m also saying we had 4-5 months to find a Caicedo replacement and we haven’t as of yet.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree. And recruiting well involves a lot of planning ahead. But it won't always mean signing players - as much as Albion would hope to do so - before key players left. Sometimes its just not possible. Every season we've bought players who go direct into the first team squad.
Sometimes, more often we have players who can go in graduallly or after loans.

Unless you are suggesting we should have signed Estupinan BEFORE we signed Cucurella or that identifying him as a replacement within days of Cucurella leaving wasn't a result of planning ahead. Also we'd also brought in Colwill and the JPVH back from loan as well last summer . Bit harsh to say our centre back etc weren't benefitting from forward planning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports