[Albion] 12 Points Above The Drop Zone.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We always struggle against teams that sit deep. Couldn’t believe how unadventurous Nukey were and their fans accepted it. They hardly got out of their half most of the game. They had us sussed alright.
It has happened so many times this season and is obviously a tactic to beat us, which is quite flattering really. At least we won’t have that problem against Liverpool and I quite fancy our chances. A winning goal from young Fergy and all will be well with the world. Well, my world anyway.

You really are a dreamer.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think the good thing is the next two games, even at home, are free hits.

Therefore, if we can regain some of the resilience from earlier in the season, we may be able to get at least a draw.

The key thing is to stay in the game. The last few games we conceded a couple of goals in quick succession. That has just knocked our confidence.

Hopefully, if we get two points or more, we can get our season back in track.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
In terms of numbers (i.e. total shots, possession) we do but have a look at this:

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...-Brighton-v-Newcastle-Who-Scored-Stats-Thread

When you look into it further we are being forced wide and taking a quarter of our shots from outside the box. Newcastle couldn't really get out of their own half yesterday and yet had a better conversion ratio with all their shots inside our box.

In terms of the overall thread a couple of my fellow mods have interesting recurring theories. Bozza talks about us returning to the mean - i.e. we were overachieving positionally earlier this season and this is the bad patch. El Pres has talked about relative budget often being a good indicator of final position. I've read Swanny say that table position is really down to the quality of players.

There is little doubt that all that indicates that probably 17-13th is our natural position, albeit with the following questions. The main one, of course, is if the master plan to be a top ten side is really achievable without a top ten budget. Are we really going to create better players than we can buy via the Academy? Is it going to be any fun watching while we wait (I've missed two home games all season and been to four aways and have not seen us win since September)? And, since Potter has far better players than CH, was CH overachieving and have the sides around us increased their budget and player quality relatively more than ourselves?

CH had the Murray-Gross partnership. That is what kept us up for 2 seasons.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the good thing is the next two games, even at home, are free hits.

Therefore, if we can regain some of the resilience from earlier in the season, we may be able to get at least a draw.

The key thing is to stay in the game. The last few games we conceded a couple of goals in quick succession. That has just knocked our confidence.

Hopefully, if we get two points or more, we can get our season back in track.

Another dreamer? :)

I suppose to be fair, us hardened Albion fans need to be. Without dreams what else is there?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Fortress Dunk-Duffy arguably played far more of a part, including the healthy number of goals they weighed in with

Murray and Gross scored 35 goals between them in 2 seasons, plus Gross assists for other players. Dunk and Duffy were important but we would have sunk without trace without Murray and Gross.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Another dreamer? :)

I suppose to be fair, us hardened Albion fans need to be. Without dreams what else is there?
I've spent nearly 50 years supporting a club that's had 9 years of top flight football and reached one cup final (discounting the Charity Shield in 1910) and 20 years ago was 20 minutes away from going out of the league never to return.

Dreaming is what keeps me going!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've spent nearly 50 years supporting a club that's had 9 years of top flight football and reached one cup final (discounting the Charity Shield in 1910) and 20 years ago was 20 minutes away from going out of the league never to return.

Dreaming is what keeps me going!

Oh believe me, l'm with you!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I can’t agree that we are almost certainly safe. It would be one hell of a bad run but it is a scenario that is entirely possible. The defence is awful and we still can’t score goals.

Defence is shipping goals at the moment, but l think getting Adam Webster back will make a big difference.

The other end of the pitch though is an entirely different matter.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I can’t agree that we are almost certainly safe. It would be one hell of a bad run but it is a scenario that is entirely possible. The defence is awful and we still can’t score goals.

We’d have to probably lose all 11 of our remaining games as one win is almost certainly enough. I guess that’s possible but losing 15 games in a row would be quite the thing.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Seriously. Anyone worried about relegation should go and stick 25 quid on us to go down. Oddschecker suggests you can get 400/1. Therefore 25 quid will give you ten grand. If you are really really serious then stick on 250 quid and get 100k. That will soften the blow.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Seriously. Anyone worried about relegation should go and stick 25 quid on us to go down. Oddschecker suggests you can get 400/1. Therefore 25 quid will give you ten grand. If you are really really serious then stick on 250 quid and get 100k. That will soften the blow.

Ha. Of course. I’d even suggest that we could lose all our remaining games and still stay up …

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Bloom didn’t sack CH because of the style of football, it was because he wasn’t bringing U23s through. Potter is, and with a lot of success,
Are we back to this old chesnut again - which if the U23s are you suggesting that Hughton should have brought into the team - surely they are mainstays of Potter's first team by now if they were capable of playing in the PL three years ago

BUT Potter is in real danger of losing the home crowd, the home form and results are truly woeful and that’s not knee jerk it’s over months and months.
It’s not all Potter’s fault, I blame the board to an extent because they’ve not fully backed him IMO, but he’s not helping himself at home with the slooooooowwww football.
I get the vibe that the players think it is a case of 'job done' and we don't have to kill ourselves for the rest of the season. If that is the case then it is down to motiviation - and that is Potter's job. I agree that the Board could be more pro-active - as I have said on numerous occasions before - you have to spend big on a continuous basis just to stand still in the PL.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
17 days ago we were 1000/1 for the drop. Now 250/1. Unlikely, but clearly more likely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports