Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 12 Points Above The Drop Zone.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ok first things first, l know that we are almost certainly safe and are guaranteed, (feel very wary every time l use that word), a further season in the Premier League, but is anyone else more than a little concerned at our sudden loss of form?

Marooned on 33 points for a while now, four straight defeats, only one goal scored, and with no one seemingly knowing where and when the next goal is coming from.

Statistics wise we seem to boss almost every match, so what's gone wrong? I dare say we will end up "safe" in our customary position of 15th or 16th. It looked so much better for so long though didn't it!

Same old same old. Teams have worked boring Brighton out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
At the start of the season anyone who wouldn't have taken 12 points above the drop zone, in March, is deluded.

That's not the point though, is it? We've gone from being one of the pundits favourites to dog shit in a matter off weeks. Our form has gone to hell on a handcart and we are currently one of the worst teams in the PL. Crucially we don't seem to be able to do very much, if anything, about it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Same old same old. Teams have worked boring Brighton out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think even the most rose tinted will concede…we are a bit boring (if the games about scoring and winning?)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The way we play we’re always going to be susceptible at the back - we need them on their game every game. Dunk, Duffy & Webster all suffering injuries / suspensions, then selling Burn has unsettled us big time. Recent failures have given Sanchez his first real shaky period. Simple really.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The way we play we’re always going to be susceptible at the back - we need them on their game every game. Dunk, Duffy & Webster all suffering injuries / suspensions, then selling Burn has unsettled us big time. Recent failures have given Sanchez his first real shaky period. Simple really.

Exactiy.

We can critically examine Maupay/Trossard/Welbeck forever.

But conceding 9 goals would give any EPL team a mountain to climb at the other end of the pitch.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That's not the point though, is it? We've gone from being one of the pundits favourites to dog shit in a matter off weeks. Our form has gone to hell on a handcart and we are currently one of the worst teams in the PL. Crucially we don't seem to be able to do very much, if anything, about it.

This, in MASSIVE SPADES

A blip, or poor run is one thing, but the cold hard facts are we have been gash this year, and merely scraped half a dozen draws to flatter our league position, and at this stage in the season have played the 'easy' teams with a few challenges ahead.

Regardless, we can't score and now have lost defensive cohesion.

We're used to not scoring, we never have in the PL, and we're going backwards. . .

I think even the most rose tinted will concede…we are a bit boring (if the games about scoring and winning?)

Blimey I thought we’d end up doing the Poyet sentiment “cycle” but not this quick.

I tend to think this is a very tough league and spells of underwhelming form are par for the course. Definitely don’t hold with the idea that we were better last season but just unlucky. There is no such thing as bad luck across an entire season, just a team with recurring frailties

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I don’t think a lot has changed. Earlier in the season we got fortunate with late equalisers. I hate using the word fortunate though, staying in games and playing until the end is a good trait.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Leeds, Watford and Norwich will go down.

I think you’re probably right. But it makes no difference to our season, which is already going out with a whimper seemingly after promising much more. Should have known better. Potter has his work cut out.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Lack of investment in January was really disappointing, especially as top 10 actually seemed within reach. Instead the club actually managed to weaken the squad and we are now paying the price.
Letting Burn leave with no replacement was really bad business, surprisingly bad as we are a very well run club.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Leeds, Watford and Norwich will go down.

Quite possibly, but that isn't really the point. I had hoped with us sitting in the top half of the table with over half the season gone, that we would have done rather better than just avoid relegation again, but the way things are going right now l'd say that a finish of 15th is far more likely than 10th, and that's no imprtovement on last season at all.

Yes until recently l was happy just to survive in the Premier League, but now several seasons in l'm looking for an improvement on that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think you’re probably right. But it makes no difference to our season, which is already going out with a whimper seemingly after promising much more. Should have known better. Potter has his work cut out.

Yes he has, this is very much Potter's squad now, he has had plenty of time to bring in the players that he wants, so people will be looking on him to start proving his worth.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes he has, this is very much Potter's squad now, he has had plenty of time to bring in the players that he wants, so people will be looking on him to start proving his worth.

Subject to what Bloom’s prepared to pay in fees and particularly wages. Potter has no say in that at all.

West Ham, CP, Villa for example will go to any length on wages to blow the Brighton’s out of the water for loanees or purchases. Inevitably, players take the even more vast pay packet.

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Bloom didn’t sack CH because of the style of football, it was because he wasn’t bringing U23s through. Potter is, and with a lot of success, BUT Potter is in real danger of losing the home crowd, the home form and results are truly woeful and that’s not knee jerk it’s over months and months.
It’s not all Potter’s fault, I blame the board to an extent because they’ve not fully backed him IMO, but he’s not helping himself at home with the slooooooowwww football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here