Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 12 Points Above The Drop Zone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We're just desperately short of options in all areas of the pitch atm, as mentioned above we let Burn go but didn't replace him which has caused us no end of problems.

We have two first team strikers to choose from both of whom are misfiring (not including Ferguson who evidently isn't rated highly enough to start yet), and our wide options are terribly uninspiring - Trossard is v inconsistent and March has no goal threat whatsoever.

Potter gave it a go with Lamptey out wide at the weekend but this clearly isn't his favoured position. Gone are the days where we have wingers who can get you off your seat in anticipation of what's to come, all too predictable. Khadra would be an invaluable option in our squad right now, hoping to see Sarmiento back asap as in his short time here he looks to offer a bit of pace, invention and unpredictability - all of which we are lacking presently.

Perfect storm, suspended and then out of form Dunk, Webster now looking a bit of a sick note having just come back, Mwepu still injured, Biss loss of form or desire, Sanchez looking shakey, Lallana unable to play much (this was always on the cards though). Covid and loss of form of Trossard. Maupay in a striker’s drought. It is NOT all down to Burn leaving, that seems to be used as the main reason by many though. Oh and we no longer have the rub of the green. We have no right to stay in the top 10

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Perfect storm, suspended and then out of form Dunk, Webster now looking a bit of a sick note having just come back, Mwepu still injured, Biss loss of form or desire, Sanchez looking shakey, Lallana unable to play much (this was always on the cards though). Covid and loss of form of Trossard. Maupay in a striker’s drought. It is NOT all down to Burn leaving, that seems to be used as the main reason by many though. Oh and we no longer have the rub of the green. We have no right to stay in the top 10

Can’t keep getting rid of players and not replacing This is the prem
You have to keep investing
Bloom has to carry the can .
He’s the one that stated top ten . The only way that happens is sustainable injection of better players .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Can’t keep getting rid of players and not replacing This is the prem
You have to keep investing
Bloom has to carry the can .
He’s the one that stated top ten . The only way that happens is sustainable injection of better players .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

?? We’ve sold players for big profits to other Prem clubs - .just three times in our entire history. We have 20 young players on loan. We spend millions on teenagers in the hope one or two or three of them become Moder or White or Caicedo or Sarmiento or Sanchez but not all do. We spent tens of millions on Mwepu, Cucurella in the summer who went straight into the team. That perhaps means more room for error but it still ain’t cheap. And of Of course Albion aren’t Villa or West Ham or er, Everton but they aren’t guaranteed top 10 either. So it’s not the only way. But idea Bloom isn’t investing or bringing better players to the club - and I’m sure some fans would argue he should sustain double the losses he already does every season - is off the mark.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
However, we do have Mitoma and Undav to come in over the summer, Mwepu and Webster hopefully back from injury soon and quite possibly Van Hecke and Khadra joining the first team squad next season?

Yes. Also Sarmiento who is now fit and Caicedo, i think , will get a few games/minutes before the end of the season too and impress.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Good post. When the decision to sell Burn was made, we had all 3 of Veltman, Dunk and Webster fit and available and were in a very safe position relegation wise with only 15 games of the season left. Getting Webster injured 2 games later with Dunk sent off in the same game was very unlucky. I have a feeling that Burn may have been getting moved on to be replaced by van Hecke in the summer anyway seeing as he will be 30 by the time the season ends and with only a year left on his contract, so no surprise that the bid was eventually accepted.

13m is a significant chunk of cash as well - probably more than the entire income from selling 23,000 season tickets!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Firstly, we're not going down. But I could see us finishing the season on a rotten run of games and finishing 15th, which would be really disappointing.

I think the team next season will look very different. I think decisions will be made on all those entering into the last part of their contract and I expect most to be sold.

Next season I think will be another full scale relegation battle whilst a new look mostly young team beds in.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whilst we are very very likely to stay up it will perhaps be more of an issue whether GP remains for a crack at next season. I feel that this is what the remaining games are all about.

Where are you assuming Graham Potter will go then? He has the full support of the board and is only part way into a long term project at the Albion. He is also very happy here l don't think there is too much doubt about that.

Unless one of the big boys come knocking for his services in the summer, (which they won't), he would be a fool to move anywhere, throwing away what he has started here, and just having to start again elsewhere.

No, he will still be at the helm come August.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

Agreed, not at all all down to Burn leaving but the transfer really hasn't helped matters alongside the striker and winger deficiencies. We are normally a team built on a strong defensive record however its all been a bit keystone cops in recent games - Dunk and Webster issues are unfortunate but that's why a squad of trusted players is needed. I assumed once Burn was sold and no replacement was signed, Potter would play Roberts if required but he doesn't seem keen at all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know who the poster was, but maybe not so :facepalm: as you might think.

Well, Bloom never stated when he wanted us to be a top 10 club, just that was his ambition. We've been top 10 all season, we're still level on points with 10th. It's really that not far off the stated ambition.

Despite a run of 4 straight defeats, there are still only 5 teams that have lost less games than us. Only 5 teams have conceded less goals than us. As seasons go, this is what a battle for 10th looks like - everyone around us has had poor runs this season, ours is hitting now unfortunately.

12 points above relegation - 12 points below 6th. It's what 10th looks like.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Where are you assuming Graham Potter will go then? He has the full support of the board and is only part way into a long term project at the Albion. He is also very happy here l don't think there is too much doubt about that.

Unless one of the big boys come knocking for his services in the summer, (which they won't), he would be a fool to move anywhere, throwing away what he has started here, and just having to start again elsewhere.

No, he will still be at the helm come August.

If we get out of this rut, yes he will be. If we don't and stay up by the skin of our teeth I rather think he will not be. Season ticket renewals will also have some influence.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Good post. When the decision to sell Burn was made, we had all 3 of Veltman, Dunk and Webster fit and available and were in a very safe position relegation wise with only 15 games of the season left. Getting Webster injured 2 games later with Dunk sent off in the same game was very unlucky. I have a feeling that Burn may have been getting moved on to be replaced by van Hecke in the summer anyway seeing as he will be 30 by the time the season ends and with only a year left on his contract, so no surprise that the bid was eventually accepted.

13m is a significant chunk of cash as well - probably more than the entire income from selling 23,000 season tickets!

Absolutely this.

When a player leaves, I think a lot of people are too focussed on who was signed in that same window. The reality of our transfer and development policy (to me at least) is that players are signed well before the player they are intended to replace (or more accurately, the position they are being signed to provide cover/competition for) has left.

There's no sense having the likes of Van Hecke, Ostigard, Clarke in the development programme if they are not being lined up to cover the departure of someone like Burn, as he approaches the end of his contract (and enters his 30s). I'd speculate that the plan was more likely to be to consider selling or extending him in the summer, but given a fairly unique set of circumstances (home town club, decent bid, we were/are looking safe from relegation and at the time had ample cover) it was decided to let him go in Jan to trouser a few extra £m compared to what we'd get in the off season. I'm a big fan of Dan Burn and didn't want him to go, but the logic behind it works perfectly well. Hindsight now shows that we didn't have adequate cover, but I don't think anyone expected us to lose Webster and Dunk together.

The club's progress is never going to be a steady upwards slope on a graph and nor will the 'strength' of the squad. With the type of player we sign (or develop), anyone stepping into the first team is going to have to take some time to acclimatise, so there will always be a bit of a drop-off when a regular first-teamer leaves.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I’m with you, I’ll take the current disappointment with fragile defending and ongoing goal scoring frustration. GP will work it out or he’ll get the boot. I am confident in the former. Struggle (as a mid to lower PL team remember!) with TB is preferable to potential blood money owning the Albion.

Shit I’ll even take a couple of relegations over that!,

Why does any serious money have to be blood money ? Can we not look for other suitable investors to come alongside TB to improve the Club's finances and standing ?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Why does any serious money have to be blood money ? Can we not look for other suitable investors to come alongside TB to improve the Club's finances and standing ?

So we want a billionaire who has only ever been involved in ethical business practices?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here