Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1 million youth unemployed

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Funnily enough, here's today's Daily Mail...

I'm no expert but I'd hazard a guess this is something of a simplistic view, as we all known large numbers of migrant workers are employed in areas that simply can't be filled with local applicants- because they don't bother applying. I'm thinking of agricultural jobs, food packing and so on. The employers have stated numerous times that their local employment market simply isn't interested. If it wasn't for the vast army of foreign workers in this field, our supermarkets would be half empty of fruit & veg. Somebody has to do these jobs. Nursing seems to be another one- I presume from the large number of nurses from overseas that there is a lack of UK applicants for the roles.

Are there REALLY that many UK nationals missing out because foreign workers have taken all the jobs ((c) Daily Mail), or is it more that there are simply fewer jobs around, and more people applying for each one?

Martine's looking good these days!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Are there REALLY that many UK nationals missing out because foreign workers have taken all the jobs ((c) Daily Mail), or is it more that there are simply fewer jobs around, and more people applying for each one?

But your answering your own question .......

If you have immigration on the scale that has happened in recent years and they are not all claiming benefits it would sugggest they are working ... legally or illegally

So of course there are fewer jobs around and it would then follow that more are applying for less jobs.

The critical factor remains the recent influx of foreign workers, 100 000's of them.

It isnt racist to acknowledge the sums.

Your politics is then likely to determine whether you think this is a good or fair thing to happen.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
But raising wages means raising prices, which makes us less competitive internationally and leads to increased inflation, increased government borrowing and probably tax rises and spending cuts.
Not necessarily, in a lot of cases it might mean lower profit margins for farmers etc, they'd still have to remain competitive and you dont do that by raising prices .

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
People saying that these migrants are being paid a low amount surely there on minimum wage. As ya can't earn less than that can you.

Not sure what minimum wage is at the moment but surely its enough to get by. Probably can't go mad but ya would survive. And probably have a chance of getting a top up by some benefits.

I dont buy the migrants crap there are jobs people just won't get there hands dirty and do jobs that they feel are bellow them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
look at this link, there is a passage further down quoting Frank Field the Labour MP disclosing that he'd uncovered figures that showed out of 400,000 new jobs created , 87 % went to immigrants, while this is disquieting, it also tells me that one of the problems is the reluctance of some employers to pay a living wage for menial jobs, so perhaps the answer to the problem is not to let in the thousands of immigrants who WILL do these jobs for a pittance, if they werent here , then employers would have to make thes ejobs more attractive, hey presto, problem solved, lots of unemployed people in work.

UK jobs: Migrants 'take the jobs from young Britons' - Telegraph

Alternatively offer the British work force training as an alternative to benefits, align this with investment in manufacturing jobs and hey presto you take British people (especially the youth) out of the unemployment figures. There are a lot of growth areas, industries and markets out there, tap into them.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I dont buy the migrants crap there are jobs people just won't get there hands dirty and do jobs that they feel are bellong them.

If there is a position for a job in Britain and two applicants, one British and one Australian apply, they both offer the same skills and comittment etc. etc. would it not be prudent for any government to expect the British worker to access that employment ahead of his Australian counterpart.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People saying that these migrants are being paid a low amount surely there on minimum wage. As ya can't earn less than that can you.

There are ways around it sadly. The restaurant and catering industry, which employs a lot of migrant workers, circumvent the legislation by topping up salaries with tips.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not necessarily, in a lot of cases it might mean lower profit margins for farmers etc, they'd still have to remain competitive and you dont do that by raising prices .

..and further up the chain the magins of the supermarkets. Tescos could certainly weather a squeeze on their profits.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Is this a case of cards on the table Tory honesty with the 1m youth unemployed.

No doubt the labour spin would have presented it as 500,000 the lowest ever, but of course their figs wouldnt have taken into account those unemployed over say 6 mts or those on long term JSA etc etc.

Just SAYING like.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Alternatively offer the British work force training as an alternative to benefits, align this with investment in manufacturing jobs and hey presto you take British people (especially the youth) out of the unemployment figures. There are a lot of growth areas, industries and markets out there, tap into them.

Yep, dont disagree with this, I'd also cut down on the numbers doing wank travel and tourism degrees , we need to spend money training skilled engineers,builders and technicians, not on degrees in sports centre management.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yep, dont disagree with this, I'd also cut down on the numbers doing wank travel and tourism degrees , we need to spend money training skilled engineers,builders and technicians, not on degrees in sports centre management.

Absolutely agree with this. There is a proliferation of silly degrees.

Used an example recently guy I used to work with had a philosophy degree. We are in the insurance industry - he expected to be treated "better" because he had a degree.

Funnily enough the person that work DID take more notice of was the chap with a business and finance degree - much more relevant and im afraid "proper".

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Why on earth would a firm accept reduced profits?
It's fairly obvious, if there werent immigrants here willing to do these jobs for a pittance , they'd be forced to make the jobs more attractive financially to get British people to do them, it would obviously have to work in tandem with measures to force the genuinely workshy off of benefits, my post wasn't that hard to work out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's fairly obvious, if there werent immigrants here willing to do these jobs for a pittance , they'd be forced to make the jobs more attractive financially to get British people to do them,.

theres a large splice of bollocks in that argument. how come immigrants are willing to work here for the "pittance", living with the same living costs as the locals and usually managing to send some money home? inflexible attitudes to work or expection of living standards are the only reasons i can think of. these are social, not economic reasons the locals dont fill the places the immigrants do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

In my world there will always be a place for academia, but the current set up is wrong. The merging of pretty much all higher level education into some sort of course with a degree at the end totally blurs all the boundaries and does no one a favour. Universities were for academic based study, polys for more vocational stuff which warranted a high level of education and the rest i.e. tourism (which are valid) were dealt with at the appropriate level in a BTEC or whatever they used to be called. A lot of this is now lumped into one catch all which is toss. Or a number of former Btecs are lumped together into a wolly modular type degree. I do not believe in a 100% need to align study with work but I do believe in alignment of study with the appropriate course. Otherwise it is totally confusing for all concerned and it puts too much emphasis on getting a degree, a degree for degrees sake, when there are many valid alternatives to furthering yourself. But, above all, if I had a single choice it would be the reintroduction of a valid and meaningful apprentiship scheme.

As an aside I'm actually very envious of anyone who can do stuff with their hands. My father could, neither me nor my brother can.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It's fairly obvious, if there werent immigrants here willing to do these jobs for a pittance , they'd be forced to make the jobs more attractive financially to get British people to do them, it would obviously have to work in tandem with measures to force the genuinely workshy off of benefits, my post wasn't that hard to work out.

Or the more likely situation is that the company would move the whole operation to a different country where the same quality of labour could be obtained for less, and threfore able to offer the product cheaper whilst still making a profit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funnily enough the person that work DID take more notice of was the chap with a business and finance degree - much more relevant and im afraid "proper".

Business and Finance degrees, some of these are not too far removed from degrees in tourism and hotel management though. And a while back when MBAs were on-trend these were quite easy to obtain as every university or eductional establishment seemed to be knocking them out.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
thatchers policies live on

discuss

You might as well say that Stanley Baldwin's policies live on...........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here