glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
thatchers policies live on

discuss

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Was there youth unemployment before Thatcher ruled?

I would have thought that young people are less likely to be employed than someone with experience. Also, jobs that young people might have taken are now occuppied by economic migrants.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Under a conservative government it really doesn't surprise me,i remember the dark days of thatchers Britain all too well. But then I was one of many people who greeted Tonys new labour with a rapturous welcome, and after a promising few years ended up hugely disillusioned.
Youth unemployment is the saddest statistic of all the unemployment figures. Another lost generation

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's not really a lost generation. There are many hundreds upon hundreds upon thousands of voluntary opportunities to gain skills, experience and fulfilment. A 'lost generation' is a little wide of the mark.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
How the hell are we supposed to get jobs when everywhere turns us down because of " lack of experience" when no where is willing give us it in the first place?

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
That what happens when you let ( Labour ) 2,500,000 plus immigrants into our country. not enough jobs for the brits.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
That what happens when you let ( Labour ) 2,500,000 plus immigrants into our country. not enough jobs for the brits.

With all due respect, but what a load of shit. Straight out of the daily mail, these are the worst youth unemployment statistics since the 1980's. Who was in government then? Oh yer the conservatives. But it's not that simple to blame it on simple party politics. I'm now in my late 30's and have found broken promises with all partys.
But I distrust the Tories most :)

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Under a conservative government it really doesn't surprise me,i remember the dark days of thatchers Britain all too well. But then I was one of many people who greeted Tonys new labour with a rapturous welcome, and after a promising few years ended up hugely disillusioned.
Youth unemployment is the saddest statistic of all the unemployment figures. Another lost generation

Maggies kids too much too young ???

Oct 25, 2003
there ARE jobs out there but most of the one's i've gone for have had at least 60 other applicants, all with far more experience than me.....therefore i'm having to do a shit load of work for free to get that experience, and will probably have to for a good year or so (if i find the first person who went into a newspaper and said "i'll work for you for free" i'm going to twat them in the liver)

all the "junior" positions i've applied for have gone to applicants in their 40's or 50's.........i don't begrudge them getting the job as they may have families to feed/mortgages to pay and in reality probably need the money than me (single man in his 20's living in a shared household), but what is the point of advertising it as a 'junior' position in the first place?!

i think i'm going to go to uni next year, and hope that i'll at least be better qualified by the time this shit storm ends/gets better

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
I am 25 and graduted this summer with a 1st in politics from Manchester University, i took two years out half way through my degree for financial reasons and worked for most of that time and went back to uni to finish my degree when i had the money to really afford it (didnt get student loan etc, had to pay my own way)
Since finishing i moved back in with my mum who recently relocated to whitstable (near canterbury for those that dont know).
Since June i have applied for a multitude of jobs, really pretty much anything just to get my foot in the door and get a bit more experience, and obv make some money so i can move out ASAP, but all i get is "sorry but in this instance your application has been unsuccesful", this is even for telesales/customer service roles, something i have had a fair amount of experience in. I got friendly with a lass at one of the agencies that i am with and she is telling me that i am up against literally 50-100 people all with the same/more experience than me, and who are more often than not older than me also. I really dont know how i can win.
For the past month i have had to really scrape the barrel and work in a factory, packing christmas cards for £6.25 ph. I am not stupid and know my degree is not something that will automatically land me a 'good' job, but i envisaged something a bit better than factory work.
I do generally feel sorry not just for older people with mortgages/kids who are out of work for whatever reason, but also kids coming out of college who cant go to uni as for the forseeable future they have no career prospects.
I am very seriously considering going overseas to find work, something that the majority of my friends at university have done in the past few years, because they have also found that finding a job let alone a career is next to impossible in this country anymore.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
How the hell are we supposed to get jobs when everywhere turns us down because of " lack of experience" when no where is willing give us it in the first place?

Volunteer work is often a good way to add things to your resume that show you can work within systems and are actually in fact willing to work.

It can also lead to employment opportunities within that organisation if you're doing a good job.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and under Labour it was 950,000 both Labour and Tories are the same both shit

first sensible post. its not clever having so many kids out of work, but its making the national media because its hit a round number, its been poor ever since the 80's (and before?).

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I was on the youth training scheme under Maggie.£26 quid a week and had to graft like f*** doing a carpentry apprenticeship.Makes you wonder how many would do it now.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I found it difficult when I was unemployed. I couldn't get any entry level positions because I was "overqualified" and couldn't get any other work because I lacked experience. I don't envy the young out-of-work at the moment.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
With all due respect, but what a load of shit. Straight out of the daily mail, these are the worst youth unemployment statistics since the 1980's. Who was in government then? Oh yer the conservatives. But it's not that simple to blame it on simple party politics. I'm now in my late 30's and have found broken promises with all partys.
But I distrust the Tories most :)

Oh come on, why would you dismiss displacement of jobs taken by immigrant workers.

It really doesnt matter if it is robots or trained chimps, if jobs are being taken by any group within a retracting market then of course another group are not going to find employment.

You are so driven yourself by politics or another set of politically motivated journalists that you cannot debate it.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
It's not just young people FFS.
Is it not just as grim for middle aged people to find themselves long term unemployed?
And don't give me that 'lazy sod' shit.
Maybe there are some, but most middle aged people want and need the dignity of paying their own way.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was on the youth training scheme under Maggie.£26 quid a week and had to graft like f*** doing a carpentry apprenticeship.Makes you wonder how many would do it now.

Apprenticeships have been around for donkeys years, it used to be the way you got educated to get a professional job, it was hard work, and it paid off for most, now I get the feeling that a lot of people see College/University as the way to qualify to get a job. Well it isn't necessarily the case, and, as has been said, youngsters turn up their noses at the offer of the modern equivilent of £25 a week for hard graft, even though there is a pay off in the end.

A wise 16-18 year old right now might look into government modern apprenticeships, or even speak to local trades and start on one. A friend of mine is a Plumber, he has taken 2 apprentices on in the past 5 years, one is now fully qualified, and has now gone on to run his own business, the other has been with him a couple of years and is well on his way to qualification, and he earns while he is doing it. The trade will stay with them for ever, and their earning potential, even now is pretty good, again, especially if you are preapred to work hard at it. My friend has a collection of classic cars, a paid for house in Hove, properties elsewhere and takes 3 or 4 holidays abroad a year. He left school at 15 and became an apprentice.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
doesn't this figure include students looking for part time work.....i think u need to knock quarter of a million off of that figure to get the true unemployed amount

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here