Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1 million youth unemployed

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Was there youth unemployment before Thatcher ruled?

I would have thought that young people are less likely to be employed than someone with experience. Also, jobs that young people might have taken are now occuppied by economic migrants.

the figures quoted also mentioned more migrants being employed last month than uk nationals

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I am 25 and graduted this summer with a 1st in politics from Manchester University, i took two years out half way through my degree for financial reasons and worked for most of that time and went back to uni to finish my degree when i had the money to really afford it (didnt get student loan etc, had to pay my own way)
Since finishing i moved back in with my mum who recently relocated to whitstable (near canterbury for those that dont know).
Since June i have applied for a multitude of jobs, really pretty much anything just to get my foot in the door and get a bit more experience, and obv make some money so i can move out ASAP, but all i get is "sorry but in this instance your application has been unsuccesful", this is even for telesales/customer service roles, something i have had a fair amount of experience in. I got friendly with a lass at one of the agencies that i am with and she is telling me that i am up against literally 50-100 people all with the same/more experience than me, and who are more often than not older than me also. I really dont know how i can win.
For the past month i have had to really scrape the barrel and work in a factory, packing christmas cards for £6.25 ph. I am not stupid and know my degree is not something that will automatically land me a 'good' job, but i envisaged something a bit better than factory work.
I do generally feel sorry not just for older people with mortgages/kids who are out of work for whatever reason, but also kids coming out of college who cant go to uni as for the forseeable future they have no career prospects.
I am very seriously considering going overseas to find work, something that the majority of my friends at university have done in the past few years, because they have also found that finding a job let alone a career is next to impossible in this country anymore.

Have you applied for the Civil Service fast stream. With a first in politics you'd be well suited to it. They are still recruiting but its mega tough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the figures quoted also mentioned more migrants being employed last month than uk nationals

Are you saying that in the youth market more migrants are being employed than Brits?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Apprenticeships have been around for donkeys years, it used to be the way you got educated to get a professional job, it was hard work, and it paid off for most, now I get the feeling that a lot of people see College/University as the way to qualify to get a job. Well it isn't necessarily the case, and, as has been said, youngsters turn up their noses at the offer of the modern equivilent of £25 a week for hard graft, even though there is a pay off in the end.

A wise 16-18 year old right now might look into government modern apprenticeships, or even speak to local trades and start on one. A friend of mine is a Plumber, he has taken 2 apprentices on in the past 5 years, one is now fully qualified, and has now gone on to run his own business, the other has been with him a couple of years and is well on his way to qualification, and he earns while he is doing it. The trade will stay with them for ever, and their earning potential, even now is pretty good, again, especially if you are preapred to work hard at it. My friend has a collection of classic cars, a paid for house in Hove, properties elsewhere and takes 3 or 4 holidays abroad a year. He left school at 15 and became an apprentice.

The problem is Phil, those apprenticships are few and far between these days. It is a sad indictment of the shift in the economy away from trades to services in the last three decades that has helped create the situation we are in now. Sadly for the majority of todays young people success at school now means an open door to an institutionally guaranteed £30,000 worth debt by the time you have reached your mid twenties and then you have to join the queue of applicants for a job stacking shelves in a supermarket. Or if you are stuck on JSA you can now go and work for Asda, Tesco et al for FREE!

People can make the all the lazy generalisations they like about the young unemployed and anecdotally bring up examples of this, that and the other, but fact remains there are not 1million decent jobs out there at the moment. All the while this government has laid off hundreds of thousands of public sector workers and the private sector unsurprisingly has not picked up the slack. Tax revenue is lost and demand for goods and services continues to fall.

While this is all going on those lucky enough to be in paid employment are having to put up with wage freezes or below inflation increases whilst energy companies continue to increase the cost of living for everyone. Honestly, anyone with two functioning eyes could see that this was going to happen as soon as George Osborne opened his mouth and announced his intention to slash and burn the public sector and hope that his chums in the private sector would help him out.

One big irony of all this is because of the deregulation in the city and the pandering to the licensed gambling in the square mile, decent small businesses are finding it impossible to get the credit that they need to help stimulate this side of the economy. Utterly priceless management of the economy going on here.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
One big irony of all this is because of the deregulation in the city and the pandering to the licensed gambling in the square mile, decent small businesses are finding it impossible to get the credit that they need to help stimulate this side of the economy. Utterly priceless management of the economy going on here.

Eh, I thought all of this was caused by banks lending iresponsoibly to home buyers and businesses that couldn't afford them?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
nope i was referring to the overall market...when the unemployment figures were discussed it was mentioned that more migrants took jobs thn uk nationals in the last set of figures

Apologies but I'm a little out of the loop at the moment. Where can I find these figures in a nice summary form? I cannot be arsed to trawl the government website.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The problem is Phil, those apprenticships are few and far between these days. It is a sad indictment of the shift in the economy away from trades to services in the last three decades that has helped create the situation we are in now. Sadly for the majority of todays young people success at school now means an open door to an institutionally guaranteed £30,000 worth debt by the time you have reached your mid twenties and then you have to join the queue of applicants for a job stacking shelves in a supermarket. Or if you are stuck on JSA you can now go and work for Asda, Tesco et al for FREE!

People can make the all the lazy generalisations they like about the young unemployed and anecdotally bring up examples of this, that and the other, but fact remains there are not 1million decent jobs out there at the moment. All the while this government has laid off hundreds of thousands of public sector workers and the private sector unsurprisingly has not picked up the slack. Tax revenue is lost and demand for goods and services continues to fall.

While this is all going on those lucky enough to be in paid employment are having to put up with wage freezes or below inflation increases whilst energy companies continue to increase the cost of living for everyone. Honestly, anyone with two functioning eyes could see that this was going to happen as soon as George Osborne opened his mouth and announced his intention to slash and burn the public sector and hope that his chums in the private sector would help him out.

It's been a slow burn though hasn't it? Whilst current policies don't seem to be helping at all, the past 30 years or so have seen such a shift away from trades, into the 'service' industry, that the culture has changed. If that culture could start to revert back, then there might be a chance. The apprenticeships are few and far between, but there can be no doubt that migrant workers, already qualified in their home countries, have had an impact as well. I'm not intelligent enough to make suggestions on the right way to get out of it, it's back to basics time I think. IMO young people really could do with taking more personal responsibility for thier own futures, rather than expecting things to happen [once they leave college], they need to make things happen.

We should also note that many more people are employed than unemployed. I really hope those that find themselves struggling now will get a break, but I think if they go out and find the break, they will do it sooner, and be more successful, and ultimately be better off in the long run.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Eh, I thought all of this was caused by banks lending iresponsoibly to home buyers and businesses that couldn't afford them?

and governments that cant afford it either. (that may make the arguments circular, but then thats because it is)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
and governments that cant afford it either. (that may make the arguments circular, but then thats because it is)

But it wasn't like in the 80's where we were all spending too much based on the inflation of our properties, it was triggered by the Sub Prime market in the USA and no doubt other dodgy dealing by the world banks.

The banks soley caused the crash with the support of Governments of course.

Our own personal debt was sustainable and pretty much normal at that point in that economic cycle.

Somehow, the burden of responsibility for the 'crash' has been aimed at our own irresponsibility, I think thats rubbish.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Funnily enough, here's today's Daily Mail...

I'm no expert but I'd hazard a guess this is something of a simplistic view, as we all known large numbers of migrant workers are employed in areas that simply can't be filled with local applicants- because they don't bother applying. I'm thinking of agricultural jobs, food packing and so on. The employers have stated numerous times that their local employment market simply isn't interested. If it wasn't for the vast army of foreign workers in this field, our supermarkets would be half empty of fruit & veg. Somebody has to do these jobs. Nursing seems to be another one- I presume from the large number of nurses from overseas that there is a lack of UK applicants for the roles.

Are there REALLY that many UK nationals missing out because foreign workers have taken all the jobs ((c) Daily Mail), or is it more that there are simply fewer jobs around, and more people applying for each one?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321523581.299450.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321523581.299450.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 19

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Im really not sure what the government are supposed to do.

There is a culture in youth today that don't want to work, not all youth but some.

There is also a huge economic crisis going on, its a shit time to be a youngster. Hopefully it will sort it self out soon but there is no quick fix.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
the finance sector makes much more money than manufacturing and innovation.....this see-saw has been tipping more and more each year.

hence......little jobs.......greedy few.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Apologies but I'm a little out of the loop at the moment. Where can I find these figures in a nice summary form? I cannot be arsed to trawl the government website.
look at this link, there is a passage further down quoting Frank Field the Labour MP disclosing that he'd uncovered figures that showed out of 400,000 new jobs created , 87 % went to immigrants, while this is disquieting, it also tells me that one of the problems is the reluctance of some employers to pay a living wage for menial jobs, so perhaps the answer to the problem is not to let in the thousands of immigrants who WILL do these jobs for a pittance, if they werent here , then employers would have to make thes ejobs more attractive, hey presto, problem solved, lots of unemployed people in work.

UK jobs: Migrants 'take the jobs from young Britons' - Telegraph

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Funnily enough, here's today's Daily Mail...

I'm no expert but I'd hazard a guess this is something of a simplistic view, as we all known large numbers of migrant workers are employed in areas that simply can't be filled with local applicants- because they don't bother applying. I'm thinking of agricultural jobs, food packing and so on. The employers have stated numerous times that their local employment market simply isn't interested. If it wasn't for the vast army of foreign workers in this field, our supermarkets would be half empty of fruit & veg. Somebody has to do these jobs. Nursing seems to be another one- I presume from the large number of nurses from overseas that there is a lack of UK applicants for the roles.

Are there REALLY that many UK nationals missing out because foreign workers have taken all the jobs ((c) Daily Mail), or is it more that there are simply fewer jobs around, and more people applying for each one?

What a load of bolloney .......

This myth that we somehow need immigrants to fill jobs that us the British do not wish to do is actually quite bigoted.

But thats ok because it is aimed at our own citizens !!!

Jeez, think of the obvious sectors that you are unlikely to see a British worker.

Hotels, Hospitals, Bars etc.

Who exactly were filling those roles prior to mass immigration ???

Yep many young, maybe unqualified British nationals.

Who is unemployed at present ??

It needn't be a political issue if you are frightened to death to debate the impact of immigration. whilst berating our young British population, you could do the mathmatics !!!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What a load of bolloney .......

This myth that we somehow need immigrants to fill jobs that us the British do not wish to do is actually quite bigoted.

But thats ok because it is aimed at our own citizens !!!

Jeez, think of the obvious sectors that you are unlikely to see a British worker.

Hotels, Hospitals, Bars etc.

Who exactly were filling those roles prior to mass immigration ???

Who is unemployed at present ??

It needn't be a political issue if you are frightened to death to debate the impact of immigration. whilst berating our young British population, you could do the mathmatics !!!
You'd think we didnt have doctors and nurses in this country before the 1960's the way some people go on.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
look at this link, there is a passage further down quoting Frank Field the Labour MP disclosing that he'd uncovered figures that showed out of 400,000 new jobs created , 87 % went to immigrants, while this is disquieting, it also tells me that one of the problems is the reluctance of some employers to pay a living wage for menial jobs, so perhaps the answer to the problem is not to let in the thousands of immigrants who WILL do these jobs for a pittance, if they werent here , then employers would have to make thes ejobs more attractive, hey presto, problem solved, lots of unemployed people in work.

UK jobs: Migrants 'take the jobs from young Britons' - Telegraph

But raising wages means raising prices, which makes us less competitive internationally and leads to increased inflation, increased government borrowing and probably tax rises and spending cuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here