Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Could be a very big day for RNLI donations

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
RNLI crews really are a different breed and take the definitions of courage, selflessness, humanity and hope to whole new levels.

The fact that crews (and beach lifeguards) are all unpaid volunteers too is mind-blowing and some of the conditions they unhesitatingly put to sea in to rescue those in peril defies belief. Hard to think of a group of men and women more deserving of our respect and support.

Only today, they tried to save a fisherman just off Hastings, along with the Coastguard. Sadly he died.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
RNLI crews really are a different breed and take the definitions of courage, selflessness, humanity and hope to whole new levels.

The fact that crews (and beach lifeguards) are all unpaid volunteers too is mind-blowing and some of the conditions they unhesitatingly put to sea in to rescue those in peril defies belief. Hard to think of a group of men and women more deserving of our respect and support.

NSC mods really are a different breed and take the definitions of courage, selflessness, humanity and hope to whole new levels.

The fact that mods are all unpaid volunteers too is mind-blowing and some of the utter shit they unhesitatingly read defies belief. Hard to think of a group of men more deserving of our respect and support.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
NSC mods really are a different breed and take the definitions of courage, selflessness, humanity and hope to whole new levels.

The fact that mods are all unpaid volunteers too is mind-blowing and some of the utter shit they unhesitatingly read defies belief. Hard to think of a group of men more deserving of our respect and support.

:lolol:

Please don't derail the thread.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Well, that as well, obvs.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Careful

May 5, 2020
Sussex
What beggars belief is that as an island nation, our sea rescue services are funded by donations rather than central government.

Yes,raising money for the lifeboats just seems to be one of things that's part of our culture now and nobody stops to think"hold on,they are quite important, shouldnt they have government funding".

It always seemed to be a regular thing on blue Peter years ago with a target that needed to be reached to buy a new lifeboat.

I have to say that some of the boats they have now look the absolute business but it would be nice if they could have more of them.

Especially as they go out in ridiculously bad sea conditions.
Well done to everyone that donated.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes,raising money for the lifeboats just seems to be one of things that's part of our culture now and nobody stops to think"hold on,they are quite important, shouldnt they have government funding".

It always seemed to be a regular thing on blue Peter years ago with a target that needed to be reached to buy a new lifeboat.

I have to say that some of the boats they have now look the absolute business but it would be nice if they could have more of them.

The RNLI has a bigger fleet than the Royal Navy.

Should be government funded but it would then be yet another underfunded service with its people being let down[emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, there are advantages to having the RNLI outside of the government. It allows them to get on doing what they do without any interference or politicization. Thankfully, we can only imagine the threats Priti Patel would be making towards them if they were saving immigrants with government money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Fingers crossed someone will stick the boot in on TV and this time tomorrow you'll be quids in.

Would it help if I encouraged some impressionable people to booooooo you as you're saving someone from themself?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The RNLI has a bigger fleet than the Royal Navy.

Should be government funded but it would then be yet another underfunded service with its people being let down[emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it was government funded they'd privatize it so their mates could get richer while providing a worse service for more money.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it was government funded they'd privatize it so their mates could get richer while providing a worse service for more money.

This is the RNLI good news thread, try and stay on topic and on the Main Board, there are a few who hope it won't but don't have the balls to post :wink:

Like this

Farage bounce: RNLI donations up 3,000% in support of ‘humanitarian’ role in migrant crisis

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/farage-bounce-rnli-donations-up-3000-in-support-of-humanitarian-role-in-migrant-crisis-283758/

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Wait weren't all of these people supposed to magically stop trying to come here when we left the EU?

Horrible man trying to stir up some shit to plug his new gig.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Worth noting that they also do fantastic work in Africa and Asia, including teaching kids to swim.
Who's 'they', Farage, UKIP and GBNews or the RNLI?

:lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think one of the unique strengths of the RMLI (and the Air Ambulance, as mentioned above) are their funding models, via donations and their commercial activities.

If they came under central government funding it would be heartbreaking to see the financial decisions being politicised and the inevitable 'tough decisions', 'priorities' and cuts and gradual privatisation etc (by both parties). At least this way, the people responsible for running the institutions can spend the money raised exactly as they see fit. I can virtually guarantee that if the RNLI and AAmb were government funded they would be nowhere near as strong at delivering a no-nonsense front-line response as they do today.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Long term (25 years or so) RNLI fund raiser as both Mrs Jakartas Grandads were Merchant Seamen and I know Farage is a wanker BUT do you not feel the EU must bear some responsibility for this situation?

Perhaps the great & good of NSC can explain why if you are a refugee you can say France/Germany etc. isn't where I want to go, it must be the UK?

You may have noted on a separate thread that I would welcome anyone from Hong Kong as we owe them a debt having betrayed them to the Chinese so please don't throw 'Racist' at me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here