Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Could be a very big day for RNLI donations

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Long term (25 years or so) RNLI fund raiser as both Mrs Jakartas Grandads were Merchant Seamen and I know Farage is a wanker BUT do you not feel the EU must bear some responsibility for this situation?

Perhaps the great & good of NSC can explain why if you are a refugee you can say France/Germany etc. isn't where I want to go, it must be the UK?

You may have noted on a separate thread that I would welcome anyone from Hong Kong as we owe them a debt having betrayed them to the Chinese so please don't throw 'Racist' at me.

Germany tends to take a big number every year. This is beyond the 1m plus that the country absorbed in 2016.

However a combination of Farage, Idi Patel, the right wing press create this false narrative that the UK are taking every refugee.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Perhaps the great & good of NSC can explain why if you are a refugee you can say France/Germany etc. isn't where I want to go, it must be the UK?

with 12K posts and 14 years you must surely include yourself if there is a "great and good". You could look up the answer to your question yourself. Or put yourself in the shoes of a refugee.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it was government funded they'd privatize it so their mates could get richer while providing a worse service for more money.

Also, the boats wouldn't go out when the sea was rough, owing to Health and Safety.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Long term (25 years or so) RNLI fund raiser as both Mrs Jakartas Grandads were Merchant Seamen and I know Farage is a wanker BUT do you not feel the EU must bear some responsibility for this situation?

You may have noted on a separate thread that I would welcome anyone from Hong Kong as we owe them a debt having betrayed them to the Chinese so please don't throw 'Racist' at me.

France was second only to Germany in numbers of accepted asylum cases, in the last few years before the pandemic. It could be that some of those coming here have failed asylum elsewhere in the EU. Failure in one state is not necessarily a reliable indicator of whether you will also fail in another, some countries are much less likely to accept an application than others, or accept certain circumstances, or nationalities.

Family Unification rules differ in different countries, I am not sure what France offers in that regard, but in the UK, six months after being accepted as a refugee you can apply to have your immediate family given the same status. I think 2 years is the wait in Germany.

Failed asylum seekers can evade deportation and make a good living in the UK in the black economy, more so than in other countries In other countries it is not so easy, unions in other countries would prevent illegal workers more so than happens here.

Rates of pay/subsistence.

Existing family and friends in the UK.

English language, as the UK and US have global reach in popular culture, and is the lingua franca of international business, education, science, technology, etc.

A bit less racist than many other EU countries.

It is probably a combination of some of the above reasons for most.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

In 2018, Germany received the highest number of asylum applications (161,900), and France the second most (114,500).
https://www.refugee-action.org.uk/about/facts-about-refugees/

English is taught in most countries in the world, so when seeking asylum, it also helps if you can already speak the language, plus some refugees already have family here.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

In Europe, Turkey (3.7m) and Germany (1.2m) host the most refugees. France hosts around 450,000. We have around 130,000 - equating to approx a quarter of one percent of our population. Proportionate to our population, we have the 17th highest number of refugees in Europe.

The most tragic situation is Syria - around 6.7m people have fled the civil war, and over half of those are now in Turkey - mostly living in appalling conditions in refugee camps. A few years ago we pledged to take up to 20,000 refugees from Syria by 2020....obviously helpful, but a drop in the ocean.

Farage, the Daily Mail and Priti Patel like to make out that we are under siege from an incessant tide of refugees. This is VERY far from the truth. We are the 5th richest country in the world. We used to have a proud record of helping the most unfortunate in society. Not any more. It's shameful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Happy to reply, albeit I feel your 'great and good' comments smacks of unconscious bitterness for some reason. Not like you :shrug:

"The EU countries that hosted the largest numbers of refugees at the end of 2014 were France (252,000), Germany (217,000), Sweden (142,000) and the United Kingdom (117,000)." So your comnment about 'must be the UK' is incorrect.

Numbers of asylum seekers/refugees in the EU have fallen everywhere in recent years. The latest figures are shown below (UK not shown for obvious reasons)

applicants.PNG

It isn't straightforward to get comparable data for the UK but new applicants for 2020 are shown here. You can do the sums.

UK.PNG

I appreciate that Idi Vacant and das reich will tell you that even 1 is too many, but that does not inform your narrative here, a narrative that doesn't stand up to examination.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Another reason for more boats currently is that there is not the same amount of freight movement through the port, meaning less trucks to stow away on and more staff per vehicle to do checks.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Since your main question has been fairly well answered, both here and on other threads, I'll leave that and ask you a question in return.
If you think (and I agree) that we owe the people of Hong Kong a debt, would you not say the same about people from other countries which Britain invaded, exploited, profited from and then abandoned? Or where our clumsy and politically motivated interventions have wreaked havoc?

Edit - sorry, don't want to take this to the Bear pit and will refrain from further comment after this. Meanwhile I have made a donation, using the link originally posted, to a fantastic service that I may well need one day!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
NSC mods really are a different breed and take the definitions of courage, selflessness, humanity and hope to whole new levels.

The fact that mods are all unpaid volunteers too is mind-blowing and some of the utter shit they unhesitatingly read defies belief. Hard to think of a group of men more deserving of our respect and support.

I flatly refuse to donate to support El Pres's growing collection of "educational" magazines and videos :sheep:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Germany tends to take a big number every year. This is beyond the 1m plus that the country absorbed in 2016.

However a combination of Farage, Idi Patel, the right wing press create this false narrative that the UK are taking every refugee.

Idi Patel….hahahahahah 1F3E4B90-41F0-4F73-90F5-37CB439EFEC1.jpeg

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, there are advantages to having the RNLI outside of the government. It allows them to get on doing what they do without any interference or politicization. Thankfully, we can only imagine the threats Priti Patel would be making towards them if they were saving immigrants with government money.

Yes that's a good point.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
The RNLI has a bigger fleet than the Royal Navy.

Should be government funded but it would then be yet another underfunded service with its people being let down[emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes it's a good point about the RNLI being out of government control.
But is the RNLI really a bigger flert than the ROYAL NAVY?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Happy to reply, albeit I feel your 'great and good' comments smacks of unconscious bitterness for some reason. Not like you :shrug:

"The EU countries that hosted the largest numbers of refugees at the end of 2014 were France (252,000), Germany (217,000), Sweden (142,000) and the United Kingdom (117,000)." So your comnment about 'must be the UK' is incorrect.

Numbers of asylum seekers/refugees in the EU have fallen everywhere in recent years. The latest figures are shown below (UK not shown for obvious reasons)

View attachment 139101

It isn't straightforward to get comparable data for the UK but new applicants for 2020 are shown here. You can do the sums.

View attachment 139102

I appreciate that Idi Vacant and das reich will tell you that even 1 is too many, but that does not inform your narrative here, a narrative that doesn't stand up to examination.

I have no issue with processed, approved refugees. As stated I would love to piss off the Chinese Government by bringing their talented workforce over here and watch Hong Kong implode.

I have issues with the fact that what these people are doing is illegal, dangerous to themselves and the lifeboat crews, gives money to criminal gangs and that they have no reason to fear for their lives in France (unless you can inform me otherwise). Obviously this makes me a Fascist...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have no issue with processed, approved refugees. As stated I would love to piss off the Chinese Government by bringing their talented workforce over here and watch Hong Kong implode.

I have issues with the fact that what these people are doing is illegal, dangerous to themselves and the lifeboat crews, gives money to criminal gangs and that they have no reason to fear for their lives in France (unless you can inform me otherwise). Obviously this makes me a Fascist...

How do they get processed until they get here.
If your teenage son is being forced to fight for the uprising, or your house is bombed, or your daughter is gay, you get out of the country as soon as you can. Not everyone has a valid current passport. You run, and try to get out.
It is not illegal to cross the Channel in a small boat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here