Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Use of pronouns……

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, it’s from Charles Dickens.
Yes, there is humour about old overweight men getting outraged and red in the face, but the definition is from the book Nicholas Nickelby.

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory

I rather like the idea of a hyperbolical gammon, eyes glistening etc. :lolol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No, it’s from Charles Dickens.
Yes, there is humour about old overweight men getting outraged and red in the face, but the definition is from the book Nicholas Nickelby.

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory

It may have originated from Dickens TB, but the term itself is being used by those I suspect not clued in on its origin at all. I see “gammon” being used to describe or even denigrate those of a certain skin colour and age. Which is… racist, let’s call it what it is.

It doesn’t insult me, but I find it interesting that those fighting the noble causes of eradicating prejudice and hate speech are quite comfortable using this term.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think it's meant to be a retaliation from the more left leaning Millennial snowflakes towards the right sided boomer gammons. I agree however, as a left leaning millennial snowflake, that gammon is a phrase i'm seeing a bit too much.

[emoji106]

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It may have originated from Dickens TB, but the term itself is being used by those I suspect not clued in on its origin at all. I see “gammon” being used to describe or even denigrate those of a certain skin colour and age. Which is… racist, let’s call it what it is.

It doesn’t insult me, but I find it interesting that those fighting the noble causes of eradicating prejudice and hate speech are quite comfortable using this term.

Come on, it's not denigrating people because of their skin colour. It's about personality and opinions. Although I don't use it myself, I can see why it's a useful shorthand. There are plenty of older, white blokes on here that you would not describe as gammon.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Come on, it's not denigrating people because of their skin colour. It's about personality and opinions. Although I don't use it myself, I can see why it's a useful shorthand. There are plenty of older, white blokes on here that you would not describe as gammon.

Happy to stand corrected. It’s a term I’m learning about.

So it’s nothing to do with skin colour then?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And how exactly are LGBTTTQQIAA going to adapt to survive ?

They’re not. The world is adapting to them. And that’s what we call progress, dear boy. It’s how the human species got this far.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
They’re not. The world is adapting to them. And that’s what we call progress, dear boy. It’s how the human species got this far.

Does that mean that if non LBTTQQiAA's don't define their pronouns correctly their ability to reproduce will cease ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

What skin colour and which race?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
What’s your point?

That neither correct or preferred pro nouns are relevant when determineing a species ability to survive

Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
The outrage at such small but meaningful efforts is merely the last howl of a dying attitude. The final throes of an outdated school of thought, no longer fit for purpose.
As Darwin said, those species with the ability to adapt, survive.
Adapt or perish.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I have a friend who is transitioning, and i sometimes get the pronoun wrong as i have called them he for years. They know its by accident when it slips out, but it's when people don't try because they're too thick or ignorant that upsets them. How hard is it to call someone by what they want to be called? Is it okay if i walk up to you and call you something you dislike, calling you a **** or other derogatory terms, is it okay for me to say that to you just because its what i believe? Should it be okay for me to call a person of colour the N word? no, so sort yourselves out, take 20 seconds to change your ****ing email signature

Completely different argument, one is very insulting , the other is simply saying he or she based on what you would expect based on looks and physicality . It’s hardly the end of the world referring to someone who looks like a woman referring to her as she . If you occasionally make a mistake , correct it and move on . No need for everyone to change their e Mail signatures etc , talk about massive over kill .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Roll on the football season. This board is PC world since the euros ended
A world made of PCs?

How would that work?

I've got nothing.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That neither correct or preferred pro nouns are relevant when determineing a species ability to survive

Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
The outrage at such small but meaningful efforts is merely the last howl of a dying attitude. The final throes of an outdated school of thought, no longer fit for purpose.
As Darwin said, those species with the ability to adapt, survive.
Adapt or perish.

Oh right. Very good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here