Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Use of pronouns……

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“Most transgender people keep themselves to themselves..”

And so they bloody should eh! They’d better not go around talking about their life experiences or drawing attention to themselves. How dare a tiny minority even think of standing up and being counted!

*parody, for those unsure.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Don’t confuse outdated Clamp with common sense . The majority of people have common sense and don’t wish to pander to a loud self entitled minority .

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Us Brits have always stood up for the underdog, guarded the minority. I’m bloody proud that tradition still continues.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I agree it’s fine if you are in the tiny percentage who don’t want to be defined that way , most people would feel it very odd not to be . Just don’t expect everyone else to make changes to accommodate your tiny minority viewpoint .

They're being asked to change an email signature. It's hardly the greatest sacrifice people have been asked to make in the whole of human history.

Sometimes you have to accept what is normal to the vast majority and you go along with that . It’s not like it’s causing any real suffering , it’s just preference .

Again, and again please correct me if I'm wrong, but as said to a previous poster I assume you're not a trans / non-binary individual. If that is the case I would ask the same question of you, who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't have a problem with?

We shouldn’t waste time on this nonsense . Far more important serious things happening , like poverty & crime .

It is possible to care about more than one thing at the same time. Most human brains are capable of doing so with relative ease.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just seems odd that an overwhelming majority of people are being asked to modify their behaviour for a minuscule minority.

It took you longer to type this post than the time it takes them to make the change they're being asked to do. And I would suggest the email signature change would contribute a lot more to humanity than your attempt to signal your lack of virtue.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Honestly, you so much as mention that you’re a bloke these days and they’ll throw you in jail.

What, throw you in jail, just for saying you're a bloke? When did this come in?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm happy to call people anything they want to be called, and this seems a helpful way of heading off potential embarrassment before it happens.

But it's all aimed at people who interact in offices, classroom, lecture theatres and via email. Tricky where you deal with people in other situations.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But what about the people who want to use female pronouns but aren't actually proper women?

*Dives out of thread*

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They're being asked to change an email signature. It's hardly the greatest sacrifice people have been asked to make in the whole of human history.

Again, and again please correct me if I'm wrong, but as said to a previous poster I assume you're not a trans / non-binary individual. If that is the case I would ask the same question of you, who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't have a problem with?

It is possible to care about more than one thing at the same time. Most human brains are capable of doing so with relative ease.

With due respect it is not just about an email signature. It will also be about how you address people who opt to choose how you address them. I don't have a problem with that but there seems to be a militant element that seem to want to persecute anyone that makes an innocent mistake in addressing someone incorrectly. Of course if someone is deliberately addressing them wrong then that can be hate speech but there seems to be a fine line between the two and it's not always easy to tell.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I have a friend who is transitioning, and i sometimes get the pronoun wrong as i have called them he for years. They know its by accident when it slips out, but it's when people don't try because they're too thick or ignorant that upsets them. How hard is it to call someone by what they want to be called? Is it okay if i walk up to you and call you something you dislike, calling you a **** or other derogatory terms, is it okay for me to say that to you just because its what i believe? Should it be okay for me to call a person of colour the N word? no, so sort yourselves out, take 20 seconds to change your ****ing email signature

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, civil servants are being asked to edit their email signature to indicate their gender. This is a one off activity which will actually help everyone with the more ambiguous names we see these days, it will help the LGBTIQ community, and it also gives gammons something else to go apoplectic about. Surely this is a win, win, win?

PS how on earth could this render someone “reduced to tears”?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's not really that much to ask is it. Ad a couple of words to your email signature and help some people feel a bit more comfortable.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But what about the people who want to use female pronouns but aren't actually proper women?

*Dives out of thread*

I’ve never struggled using male pronouns with people who aren’t proper butch men like myself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, civil servants are being asked to edit their email signature to indicate their gender. This is a one off activity which will actually help everyone with the more ambiguous names we see these days, it will help the LGBTIQ community, and it also gives gammons something else to go apoplectic about. Surely this is a win, win, win?

PS how on earth could this render someone “reduced to tears”?

Indeed.

Also, anyone identifying as gammon should be required to wear a hat with 'gammon' on it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
With due respect it is not just about an email signature. It will also be about how you address people who opt to choose how you address them. I don't have a problem with that but there seems to be a militant element that seem to want to persecute anyone that makes an innocent mistake in addressing someone incorrectly. Of course if someone is deliberately addressing them wrong then that can be hate speech but there seems to be a fine line between the two and it's not always easy to tell.

Forgive me but disparaging an entire community on the basis of an extreme minority isn't my particular bag.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I apologise if I'm wrong on this, but can I make an assumption that you are not trans / non-binary? Only if that is the case I'm intrigued as to how you feel qualified to tell other people what they do and don't have a problem with?

i tend not to assume the gender of anyone online, since its difficult to know without explicit reference, and usually doesnt matter a jot. i dont claim to tell what people do or dont prefer, so find this ironic you are telling me i'm wrong to have a view, because you assume i'm non-binary.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's not really that much to ask is it. Ad a couple of words to your email signature and help some people feel a bit more comfortable.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

I wonder how many of the people quibbling with doing this are also the same sort who update their email signature every five sodding minutes with their next holiday dates or some sort of pithing "saying of the day" or similar nonsense?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here