Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Use of pronouns……

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
so why does anyone now have to make efforts to be inclusive for such a tiny, tiny minority?

Interesting thinking. So what else should we be not doing on the basis it impacts only a small percentage of the population? Should we cancel Pride? Should we close down GB News? Should we wind up Brighton & Hove Albion football club?

After all, all these things are things which inconvenience people more than having to change an email signature, but I would imagine you aren't in favour of doing any of them? So why do you have a problem with this?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Linkedin is normally a cesspit of self praise and conformity to look good. Quite nauseating at times.

They have used the pronouns at my place. Was a bit of banter in the team when they did it and a few laughs here and there.

Haven't seen anyone use them yet though.

Always struck me as a look at me type thing but if it makes people happy then all good

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The outrage at such small but meaningful efforts is merely the last howl of a dying attitude. The final throes of an outdated school of thought, no longer fit for purpose.
As Darwin said, those species with the ability to adapt, survive.
Adapt or perish.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
We’ve managed perfectly well in polite society over the last 100 years without the need for pro nouns . Why do we need them now when it effects less than 0.5% of the population .

It isn’t even anything that adversely effects the 0.5% if you don’t use it . Taken to this extreme anyone can get offended over anything if they choose to .

Most transgender people keep themselves to themselves and don’t make a big performance over the way they are addressed . It’s an individual choice just don’t expect the majority to pander to it .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting thinking. So what else should we be not doing on the basis it impacts only a small percentage of the population? Should we cancel Pride? Should we close down GB News? Should we wind up Brighton & Hove Albion football club?

After all, all these things are things which inconvenience people more than having to change an email signature, but I would imagine you aren't in favour of doing any of them? So why do you have a problem with this?

question is why a group gets priority. plenty of other minorities we dont observe their cultural preferences.

pronouns is a manufactured sensitivity, it doesnt normally matter if someone gets it wrong accidentally. when someone changes their pronoun, we have conform to their choice, fine. i cant think of anything else in society we make this allowance to point of mandating we must all join in.

i dont actually care about changing my signiture if asked to, just wonder why are we needing to?

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The outrage at such small but meaningful efforts is merely the last howl of a dying attitude. The final throes of an outdated school of thought, no longer fit for purpose.
As Darwin said, those species with the ability to adapt, survive.
Adapt or perish.

Don’t confuse outdated Clamp with common sense . The majority of people have common sense and don’t wish to pander to a loud self entitled minority .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t confuse outdated Clamp with common sense . The majority of people have common sense and don’t wish to pander to a loud self entitled minority .

I see nothing wrong with not wishing to be defined by one’s gender. It’s centuries of lazy gender stereotyping that have caused the need for this change. Embrace your handy work.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We’ve managed perfectly well in polite society over the last 100 years without the need for pro nouns . Why do we need them now when it effects less than 0.5% of the population .

It isn’t even anything that adversely effects the 0.5% if you don’t use it . Taken to this extreme anyone can get offended over anything if they choose to .

Most transgender people keep themselves to themselves and don’t make a big performance over the way they are addressed . It’s an individual choice just don’t expect the majority to pander to it .

Incorrect. 100 % of the population use pronouns.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree it’s fine if you are in the tiny percentage who don’t want to be defined that way , most people would feel it very odd not to be . Just don’t expect everyone else to make changes to accommodate your tiny minority viewpoint . It’s hardly discriminatory- can I be addressed as a Jedi and insist everyone calls me one ! No

Sometimes you have to accept what is normal to the vast majority and you go along with that . It’s not like it’s causing any real suffering , it’s just preference . We shouldn’t waste time on this nonsense . Far more important serious things happening , like poverty & crime .

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Self entitled? Pander?

The very definition of projection.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If they sign off an email with best wishes / kind regards / or similar followed by Pat, Sam, Chris - it's often helpful to understand whether that person is / identifies as a he or she (or anything else).

Seeing as we are all equal, what difference does it make whatever gender or sex Pat, Sam or Chris identify as when communicating via email?

Just seems odd that an overwhelming majority of people are being asked to modify their behaviour for a minuscule minority. But it helps some to send out their virtues to others I guess :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree it’s fine if you are in the tiny percentage who don’t want to be defined that way , most people would feel it very odd not to be . Just don’t expect everyone else to make changes to accommodate your tiny minority viewpoint . It’s hardly discriminatory- can I be addressed as a Jedi and insist everyone calls me one ! No

As I say, the last howl of an increasingly irrelevant school of thought. Get with the program, Grandad.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
As I say, the last howl of an increasingly irrelevant school of thought. Get with the program, Grandad.

I believe in progression if it’s sensible , not changing things just for the sake of it . I couldn’t care less if someone is straight, gay , transgender or anything else just don’t expect people to treat you differently to the mainstream .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Honestly, you so much as mention that you’re a bloke these days and they’ll throw you in jail.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

We managed perfectly well in police society for over 1,000 years without the need for gay marriage. Why do we need it now when it affects a small percentage of the population? Same logic, but I can come up with loads of other things which we've changed over the last 100 years to make things better for a minority which has no impact on the majority if you like?

(BTW, Stonewall puts the trans / non-binary population at 1% of the population, not 0.5%)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Most transgender people keep themselves to themselves and don’t make a big performance over the way they are addressed . .

Made me laugh. The ones I've met and had dealings with certainly love a big performance.

Someone will jump on this but just my experience

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
question is why a group gets priority. plenty of other minorities we dont observe their cultural preferences.

So because we're backward thinking in other areas of society we should continue to be in this? Society has made huge progress in many areas of minority representation over the last century and a half, whether it be through voting rights, representation in positions of authority, economic freedoms or re-evaluation of social norms.

pronouns is a manufactured sensitivity, it doesnt normally matter if someone gets it wrong accidentally.

I apologise if I'm wrong on this, but can I make an assumption that you are not trans / non-binary? Only if that is the case I'm intrigued as to how you feel qualified to tell other people what they do and don't have a problem with?

when someone changes their pronoun, we have conform to their choice, fine. i cant think of anything else in society we make this allowance to point of mandating we must all join in.

You don't have to conform, but people will just presume you're a dickhead if you don't. You might be removed from the company if they've made a reasonable request of you and you choose not to comply, but that's a fairly standard contractual matter.

i dont actually care about changing my signiture if asked to, just wonder why are we needing to?

Because for a tiny, tiny amount of effort on your part you can make someone else's life a whole lot better. Is that too much to ask?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here