Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Use of pronouns……

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Have I really just walked into a thread of gammons suggesting other white males calling them gammons is... Racist? Stupendous.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Like I said I’m not offended by it. But yeah regardless if you agree with someone’s politics or not, if you’re using a term to reference someone’s skin colour of course it’s a racist term (I appreciate you are most likely not inherently racist).

I’m opposed to any and all racial discrimination and I find the double standard by some interesting.

I do agree with you that the name calling on both sides doesn’t help anyone.

I think you'll find that to be racist, youhl have to be referring to someone's race. Red skin from too much booze is not a race. :facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No big one and I get what you’re saying. I haven’t looked at the ins and outs (and don’t have email for work as it goes) but is this ‘non-binary’ or whatever - people who don’t think they belong to either gender? Is there research to how many of them would like this and how many say it would help them feel included? Are they going to write ‘they’ after their names? So many questions…

The ‘ladies and gentlemen’ train announcement thing was ridiculously OTT and I think many felt the same but I’d have no problem with some words on an email to make people feel more comfortable IF IT WILL ACTUALLY HELP!

It is my understanding that the” they, them, theirs” pronoun is usually (not exclusively, different people will have different reasons) used by people who do not wish gender stereotyping to influence how they are treated or perceived. Not by people who wish to be gender-less.
If that makes sense?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It is my understanding that the” they, them, theirs” pronoun is usually (not exclusively, different people will have different reasons) used by people who do not wish gender stereotyping to influence how they are treated or perceived. Not by people who wish to be gender-less.
If that makes sense?

That does but that’s surely all of us!? I hate sexism and have experienced it many times like all of us probably have… If it’s usually used by those who don’t want gender discrimination it’s surely pointlessly highlighting it? If it’s for people who don’t think they fit into a male or female bracket and makes them feel better then fair enough. My opinion obviously.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That does but that’s surely all of us!? I hate sexism and have experienced it many times like all of us probably have… If it’s usually used by those who don’t want gender discrimination it’s surely pointlessly highlighting it? If it’s for people who don’t think they fit into a male or female bracket and makes them feel better then fair enough. My opinion obviously.

As I say, people have differing reasons. One being they don’t feel they fit into a specific gender.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I was being facetious to prove a point. I have very little time or sympathy for middle aged white people bemoaning being called a ‘gammon’ when they quite happily, and very loudly, complain and accuse anything they disagree with, or anyone with a shred of decency, as being “woke”.

Moreover, if I, a white man, called another white person a “gammon”, am I being racist? ???
FWIW I find the whole gammon/ woke thing to be childish name calling that serves no real purpose but to garner a response, but I think you’re really reaching by trying to insinuate that it is in anyway racist.

I'm pretty sure "gammon" is NOT racist - the term is being used pejoratively, but the reason for the "abuse" is the individual's views, rather than their colour. Likewise "woke". And I completely agree - there's nothing to be gained by using those expressions. In fact, as a self-declared member of the woke brigade, I quite like it when someone refers to my views as "woke"....it means they're annoyed, which is great!

Not that long ago the word "gay" was used quite freely, pejoratively (it probably still is, amongst the older generation) - but the gay community reclaimed the word (mainly thanks to Tom Robinson, I think). I'd like to think we can reclaim the term "woke" :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think you'll find that to be racist, youhl have to be referring to someone's race. Red skin from too much booze is not a race. :facepalm:

Only a race to an early death...

:drink::whisky::drink::whisky::drunk::drink::whisky:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

There'll be plenty of views, reasons and explanations on this, but the email that was sent around my office read:

"It would be great if everyone adopted it, it's a small thing to do to be more inclusive for everyone and normalise the use and sharing of pronouns for all.

For this one little act, it would help others like me and non-binary colleagues to not have to explain anything every time they correspond or receive a call, it gets quite tedious after so long, par for the course and all that though"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bear Pit in 10 minute perhaps, but seems this is becoming more and more common (seen quite a few using them on LinkedIn for example)

Extract from the DT

Thousands of civil servants are to be encouraged to add pronouns to their email sign-offs under plans for a transgender inclusivity drive, despite a backlash from staff.

The Scottish Government is backing proposals that would ask its 8,000 workers to take a “pronoun pledge” under which they would add terms reflecting their gender identity, such as she/her or he/him, to signatures at the bottom of every work email.

Some people who class themselves as non-binary prefer pronouns such as they/them, while others prefer “non standard” terms such as “zie” or “zir”, which civil servants would be free to use.

Supporters of the plan to “normalise the inclusion” of pronouns have said this would “foster an open culture that is supportive of the LGBTI+ community”.

However, the plan has provoked opposition from civil servants, after an internal survey set up to gauge opinion provoked a row which left some workers in tears.

I don't know why. Folk in my organisation (just starting back for them again) seem to use the suffix of pronouns sometimes. The overwhelming majority of folk use he/she. I'll be adding mine.

It's no big deal. Just the way things are done nowadays. Can't say I'm bothered by it.

A friend told me recently that his daughter is now trans. I found myself instantly using 'he' and the new name. No problem :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here